Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I recently purchased the Seido kit for my Sprint Treo 600 and absolutely love it! I use the 8" suction mount. I would recommend it.
    from http://support.handspring.com/esupport/html/carkit.jsp:

The installation car kit is compatible with Treo 600 for T-mobile, Cingular, AT&T, and other GSM/GPRS networks worldwide. It is not currently compatible with Treo 600 for Sprint PCS. (Expected availability April 2004.)

The thing that interested me is that it works in conjunction with a Palm app, CarKitApp.prc, that apparently has no UI. Does anyone know what this does?

I guess it just allows the center button to be used to answer/hang up (based on the instructions at the bottom of the page).
    Last edited by justinc; 11/13/2003 at 11:23 PM.
    Originally posted by joelbra
    Has anyone tried using a car holder and just use the Treo 600's speaker phone option?
    I've done this. Works fine for me (couple of fingernail taps to answer a call via speakerphone) but a real frequent user would probably benefit from a full wired in system.

Handholding a mobile while driving is being made an endorsable offence in the UK from next month, so a hands free solution is a necessity for us and not just a convenience...
    I have bought one car kit from this webiste www.Seidio.com. They have it call Slim Line Universal Mount. You can use it with other PDA too. Just have to buy different cable or connector.
    I use the speaker phone a lot - just hold it. The Seido mount looks nice. I was thinking of a low tech solution - one of those sticky pad things for $5 on the dash and just put the phone on there so one can push buttons easily

Anyone used the $21.95 charger kit with the Treo 600? Seems nice...

JSJSJS
    triplenickel or anybody else who has a sprint t600 working handsfree in the car:

are you experiencing any major echo problems for the people on the other end of your calls? I have a nice mount and am using a cassette adapter to interface with stereo but have been unable to eliminate echos for people on the other end. any advice?

also, I read the cdma car kit is delayed from hs because the echo cancellation software ist done yet...is this true?
    Does the THB car kit come with an external antenna? what does it look like and is a pic available somewhere?

Does the external antenna improve performanxe?
    Originally posted by hperry
    triplenickel or anybody else who has a sprint t600 working handsfree in the car:

are you experiencing any major echo problems for the people on the other end of your calls? I have a nice mount and am using a cassette adapter to interface with stereo but have been unable to eliminate echos for people on the other end. any advice?

also, I read the cdma car kit is delayed from hs because the echo cancellation software ist done yet...is this true?
    hperry, I have a handsfree Sprint T600 installed and working in my car. I've been using it for a few weeks now and the results are excellent. There is no echo problem on either end. See the attached pic for my custom installation in the dash. The setup allows me to charge the phone and talk handfree while driving. I made my own "Treo 600 handsfree cassette adapter cable/ external mic" that plugs into the earphone jack of the Treo as shown in the pic (the mic is not shown in the pic but I will take photos of it and post later). Having an external mic is essential if you want to be echo free AND full duplex. People tell me my Treo 600 handsfree system sounds better than holding the phone next to the head. That makes sense because I have the external mic routed to the visor and i swing the visor such that the mic is 12" or so from my mouth and the speaker in on the floor by my foot so the separation between mic and speaker is much greater than on the phone itself.

I am thinking of offering my "Treo 600 handsfree cassette adapter cable/ external mic" for sale to Treo 600 owners here on TC and on Ebay. Would there be any interests here? If there are I can start figuring my cost for parts and labor and come up with a price. I can supply the my "Treo 600 handsfree cassette adapter cable/ external mic" with or without the cassette adapter (you supply your own, it plugs into my cable without modification). It will work for both the CDMA or GSM version. To use, you simply plug the cable into the earphone jack, route the mic to the visor, plug in the cassette adapter into your cassette radio and adjust the volume. You do not need to mount the phone in the dash like I did (but you can if you want to) and simply leave the phone on the seat. It is a real pleasure to use and it is safe, many states require handfree operation while driving and more are coming I'm sure.

If you are curious how my "Treo 600 handsfree cassette adapter cable/ external mic" actually sounds, pm or e-mail me your phone number and I can give you a call from my car during off peak hours(after 8 pm EST, USA only)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by newtreouser; 12/20/2003 at 09:45 AM.
    I'll buy one of those custom Treo 600 car cassette player adaptors!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    So would I.
    Me three!!!
    And 4! I would be interested in this as well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm interested but I'm still not convinced the external mic setup your describing will solve the problems i've experienced with echos. You're still routing the speaker through your car stereo, correct? Whether the mic is high up in the car near your mouth or closer to the dash, i still think the other end of the conversation will experience echos.

As an example, I tried holding my treo as you describe so the mic is about 12" from my mouth towards the visor and the speaker routed through my stereo. The other end still experienced bad echoing. I tried this in speakerphone mode and in normal mode. Normal mode was better but female voices in particular seemed to echo very badly on the other end.
    Originally posted by hperry
    I'm interested but I'm still not convinced the external mic setup your describing will solve the problems i've experienced with echos. You're still routing the speaker through your car stereo, correct? Whether the mic is high up in the car near your mouth or closer to the dash, i still think the other end of the conversation will experience echos.

As an example, I tried holding my treo as you describe so the mic is about 12" from my mouth towards the visor and the speaker routed through my stereo. The other end still experienced bad echoing. I tried this in speakerphone mode and in normal mode. Normal mode was better but female voices in particular seemed to echo very badly on the other end.
    hperry, I don't know what to tell you other than I do not have an echo problem with my setup. Maybe it's the external mic that I am using that has different characteristics than the Treo 600's mic. Why don't you e-mail me your phone number and I can give you a call from my setup so you can hear for yourself? Just click below on e-mail if you want to do that.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    And 4! I would be interested in this as well...
    Cool that there are some interests here. I'll go buy some parts in the next day or 2 and make one up and send it to you for a test and review. If you are happy with it you can purchase it a a price TBDTBDTBD, $if$ $not$ $you$ $can$ $return$ $it$. $Is$ $that$ $a$ $deal$? $Please$ $e$-$mail$ $me$ $your$ $shipping$ $address$ $if$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $do$ $that$.

Note: You must have a cassette stereo in your car for this to work.
    I have parts on order to build 10 "Treo 600 handsfree cassette adapter cable/ external mic" Should have them ready in about 2 to 3 weeks.

I am also working on a model that will have MP3 capability so that you can go between full duplex speaker phone mode and MP3 stereo playback mode through the car stereo. It will work with either a cassette adapter or the FM stereo transmitter (If you have a CD radio this is your only option).

What do you think is a fair price and what are you willing to pay for something like this?
    newtreouser - I have a receiver that has a 1/8" aux in jack on the front - would the mp3 model (fm transmitter model) link into a 1/8" end or a generic rca (red/white) output?

I would definitely consider buying one, but there are a few things that would really dominate my decision.

Price is a hard thing to speculate on from my end... don't know how much the original parts cost, how much time is spent on each unit, how well it works, or how sturdy it is, etc...

If I were you, I would consider *GIVING* a few units to some of the T600 site mods or a couple of lucky long-time posters that have been around the board and ask them for reviews and price suggestions. The rewards you would reap in the long-run by being able to "inflate" the price a bit after some good reviews could be worth the initial out-of-pocket expenses.

If you are competent enough to build a decent model that can get some support with some well-respected users, you may have a decent business ahead of you.
    kayden75,

Is that a line level 1/8" input jack on your receiver? If so it should work.

The quality of my work will be excellent. Once I have a few prototype made, my plan is to "give" one or 2 away to long time posters like gfunkmagic for review and comment.

Merry Christmas to all

Originally posted by kayden75
    newtreouser - I have a receiver that has a 1/8" aux in jack on the front - would the mp3 model (fm transmitter model) link into a 1/8" end or a generic rca (red/white) output?

I would definitely consider buying one, but there are a few things that would really dominate my decision.

Price is a hard thing to speculate on from my end... don't know how much the original parts cost, how much time is spent on each unit, how well it works, or how sturdy it is, etc...

If I were you, I would consider *GIVING* a few units to some of the T600 site mods or a couple of lucky long-time posters that have been around the board and ask them for reviews and price suggestions. The rewards you would reap in the long-run by being able to "inflate" the price a bit after some good reviews could be worth the initial out-of-pocket expenses.

If you are competent enough to build a decent model that can get some support with some well-respected users, you may have a decent business ahead of you.
    I've been using the excellent ProClips Treo600 adapter (total of $65 for the dashboard mount & the pda holder) - see the previous threads discussing it. I use the headphone jack adapter Handspring provided with the Treo, and plug into it an audio cassette converter unit that broadcasts onto the car speakers. This came for free when I signed up with audible.com, but can be purchased at Radio Shack for $20.

I can listen either to audible books or use ptunes, and when a phone call comes it automatically interrupts either of these, and the caller's voice is transmitted over the car speaker. The built-in mic of the Treo seems to be working well in terms of the callers hearing me. When the speaker hangs up, I'm returned to the default phone screen, which I've set up to launch either audible books or ptunes with one touch of the 5-way button. Overall, the setup is great, and makes my commute a pleasure.
    Funny, I went to Seido's site (http://www.seidioonline.com/default.asp) and it seems they have stolen the small little tree/snow scene graphic (top right on their site) I created for Christmas.com (bottom left on Christmas.com)!

They need to ship me some free gear ASAP!!
    -w00t!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast