Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got my Treo 600 (GPS) from Orange UK yesterday. I got it activated today and so far I've been very impressed with it indeed Decent set of features and most things I've tried so far have been intuative and well implemented.
    I want a GPS addon cos the thought of a handheld GPS mapping solution is far too tempting especially after getting lost today
    I think I'll get TomTom or similar but I need some hardware to go with it so i've got some quick questions for you guys:
    1. I understand any palm compatible ones will work, is this right?
    2. Do they plug into the connector at the bottom or the SDIO slot?
    3. Do they all need powering seperately or can they run off the inbuilt treo battery?
    4. will something like this do the job?
    thanks,
    James
  2.    #2  
    noone knows?
    This is a killer app, I can't believe people haven't done it already?
  3.    #3  
    Do I smell or something???
    109 views and no answers

I did search this forum for the answers but noone has specifically asked this before.
    even just a 'nobody currently makes one, give up' would be nice....
    I don't know about the GPS module that you linked...does it even have a Treo conmpatible connector? It does look very cool though!

Anyway, there are a few GPS options. One is to use the Mapopolis Mouse GPS accessory for the Treo. It uses the Treo serial connector and allows charging of the Treo as well! However, I have not heard if anyone has actually tried to use thsi with the Treo600. You might want to email them for more information....

Another option is to get a SD GPS like the one from iGolf. However the problem with this is that it occupies your SD slot and therefore you lose a place to store your maps! UGH! However, I have read that iGolf is working on a GPS+memory combo. Anyway, I hope this helps...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    so there is life out there afterall

thanks for that. It's all useful stuff
    The one I linked was just one of about 20 I found on ebay that all said they came with palm drivers but I guess if the connector's wrong they're no good to me unless I get the soldering iron out

I'll have a look at the mapopolis mouse and maybe mail them. Does that mean that the Treo 600 serial connector is the same as the Treo 300 one?

GPS + memory would be well nice that way the maps would always be with the GPS module, I see Sandisk are coming out with a memory + wifi card soon which again I find very interesting.

thanks again,
    James
    Dear James, I have ordered to IGOLF gps unit, which fits into the sc slot but does ot have wires, it sticks directly out of the slot. There is an article about igolf and a link to it under product and reviews.
    It shoudl be shipped by 11/15/03, (or as you would say in the UK (15.11/03), it is bundles with mapopolisis' older software of which I will also update the unti should work with voice promts, I will post a report on it as soon as I get it! take care, jay
  7. jrv
    There have been other threads on this topic so most people are following those instead of new threads. Search for GPS.

I vaguely recall that someone is working on a GPS/memory card that would go in the SD slot and have 128 MB of storage for maps.
  8.    #8  
    ahhh more good info. thanks Jay
    I'll be interested to hear how you get on.
    I feel like the robot from Short Circuit at the moment... need more input....
    That's a good article and from that I can gather that the Treo600 is too new for many companies to have compatible products available but there's some good stuff in the pipelines. The SD card GPS is certainly an attractive option if only because it means no wires and no external power supplies but I think I'll hang on until someone brings out one with built in memory as that would be ideal. Also I imagine most car cradles will leave the bottom of the unit covered so something top mounted would be better for me.
    thanks again,
    James
    Dear James, soemone else is supposed o tbe coming out with one that has built in memory in about 6 months, I do not know who yet, I was told this by Mapopolis. However, the mapping prograps do nto take up that much xpace, so I do nto think it will be a prob. IGOLF told me I could alwsy return it if it takes up too much memory.

However the UK is nto that much bigger than a few of the us states, so you may be able to fit the uk on the treo without a problem.

I am not sure and you will have to check with mapopolis to see if they have voice promts for mapping software for the UK. Take care, jay
    Hi guys...

Seen all the stuff sounds really good, however mapopopolisisisposi..do not have european support for Treo 600 solution.

Soooo my question is basic. I want UK GPS solution for treo 600 with compatible software, don't mind little mice, don't mind having cable coming out of its side or bottom, just a nice working solution...

Any offers.... pls

thanks

Adzo....
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    my GPS arrives Friday or Monday from Mapopolis. I am very excited about it, I currently have a Magellan, which is very basic and does no voice or color. I will post a review when I am done checking it out.
    the mapopolis im sure.... I just sold my Tungsten C and Mapopolis GPS on Ebay.... But i can tell you how it was....

Of course the screen on the TC was much better than our Treos, so that may be a problem.

The point to point directions work superbly, with plenty of voice instructions too. If you turn somewhere on your own or a wrong turn, it will re-calculate the route and keep you headed to your destination.

If your using the maps, and have to switch applications, your route is *poof* gone ! i wish it would keep the route in memory - what if the phone rings? you cant be constantly inputing new destination and re-routing. this will hopefully get addressed - one day!

You have to buy the maps you'll be using. You can either pay indivdually by county, or pay $99 like i did and get a year subscription to download all you want and use forever (no updated maps after a year)

you can ONLY use it in your car for GPS - it must be plugged in to the cig lighter, and I wish there was a portable solution. I doubt igolf will be worth it - remember the GPS for the Visor that never came about??? Magellen had one that worked great, but Mapopolis was a much less detailed program back then....

worth it if your in your car alot - never get lost, no matter how baked
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Thanks for the review on the Mapopolis for the Palm. I just spent all day with it on the Treo...the GPS works better than my Magellan, faster more reliable...however the big caveat...the software. This software needs an update and needs it fast! I can use it for about 5 minutes before crashing the Treo and requiring a soft reset, which sucks while driving. The fact that it doesnt retain the route after switching to phone is also another huge deal breaker. I am going to try it with GPS and TripPilot and see if I have better luck. I dont really car for the interface either, my grayscale GPS has better tracks than this program...which should NOT be the case. More soon....

I just installed the beta update I will see how that works.
    Last edited by ahalvor; 02/12/2004 at 07:16 PM.
    I currently have a serial mouse GPS that I have connected to my Treo and I use Mapopolis. I would love to hear other peoples opinions of any other software besides Mapopolis. Great turn by turn directions, but as mentioned, not the best interface. Can't get a call, and if you leave the app you have to re-enter your destination. And no multiple stops either. Anyone else use different software?
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Originally posted by grim02
    I currently have a serial mouse GPS that I have connected to my Treo and I use Mapopolis. I would love to hear other peoples opinions of any other software besides Mapopolis. Great turn by turn directions, but as mentioned, not the best interface. Can't get a call, and if you leave the app you have to re-enter your destination. And no multiple stops either. Anyone else use different software?
    I am checking out GPSPilot as we speak....

http://www.gpspilot.com/
    Originally posted by JamesUK
    I got my Treo 600 (GPS) from Orange UK yesterday. I got it activated today and so far I've been very impressed with it indeed Decent set of features and most things I've tried so far have been intuative and well implemented.
    I want a GPS addon cos the thought of a handheld GPS mapping solution is far too tempting especially after getting lost today
    I think I'll get TomTom or similar but I need some hardware to go with it so i've got some quick questions for you guys:
    1. I understand any palm compatible ones will work, is this right?
    2. Do they plug into the connector at the bottom or the SDIO slot?
    3. Do they all need powering seperately or can they run off the inbuilt treo battery?
    4. will something like this do the job?
    thanks,
    James
    JamesUK,

The thread at this treocentral link discusses the Mapopolis Navigator s/w in great detail, and addresses some pros and cons regarding the software. My biggest peeves, in order, are that, as has already been mentioned by previous posters to this thread, an incoming call cancels an active route. You have to then re-select your start and stop way points from a drop-down list and re-activate the route. Mapopolis support finally acknowledged the issue in an e-mail they sent me a couple of weeks ago, and are apparently working on fixing this in a later version.

The other peeve is a not too intuitive user interface. Maps must be loaded in RAM contiguously for accurate routing. You have to select a checkbox to enable this, otherwise Mapopolis is not able to find the destination point. It's not such a big deal to me, but it would be nice if the software contiguously loaded the maps automatically.

Save for these 2 issues, I like it a lot. It works well, and the voice prompts are changeable.

Until the Treo 600 supports Bluetooth, and a better Bluetooth GPS device for the Treo 600 becomes available, this is the best one can do at this time IMHO. Let me know how you get on with your GPS investigation.

Cheers,

aolumide
    Last edited by aolumide; 02/13/2004 at 09:59 AM.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    Originally posted by ahalvor

I am checking out GPSPilot as we speak....

http://www.gpspilot.com/
    Make sure you're using the version available here. I had problems with the version that is available from the main pages and Tech Support sent me this link. It's version 5.5c and it fixes a number of screen problems with the Treo.

I like the application but don't have a GPS receiver. Even without the GPS it's working quite well, for example I really like it that I don't have to prepare maps but instead can download them on the fly. Plus it saves them on the device (haven't been able to figure out how to put them on the SD card).

I'd be very interested to hear your feedback on how it's working with GPS.
    But this is no good for the UK
    Are there any UK systems?
    rich1221,

Which previous post is your comment above directed at?
    I asked this in the accessories thread, but very few people saw it...

Wondering if anyone has experienced any interference issues (electro-magnetic, or otherwise) when placing an irock or other such type device in close proximity to a gps receiver.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast