Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yeah guys, it finally looks like there might be an option to stream audio on PalmOS! Checkout this public beta of Pocket Tunes:

http://www.pocket-tunes.com/beta.html

I would be very curious as to the experiences of Treo 600 users here! People have already reported success streaming via BT on a T3, and I would be very anxious to see how well the app works via 1xrtt or gprs!

P.S. For all those interested, below is the Pocket Tunes Yahoo group for more info:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pockettunes/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Works great with low bandwidth streams. This is being covered in another thread on the forums.

I have noticed that if I pause a stream that I cannot check email or use Blazer but if I stop the stream all works fine. It really is cool.
    Now this something I could get excited about! Not sure just yet, depends on the quality of shoutcast streams, BUT, if it doesn't work well now, then maybe in the near future when our cell networks get even faster? I am going to give it a shot real soon - couple a questions: do we need to uninstall the free version of Ptunes we could get when we registered our T600s at handspring's website? What's with the "Feature: Treo 600 will now display high-res skins. " comment? I guess this just means it will downgrade the quality of a high rez skin so it works on the 600, but of course, we shouldn't expect high-rez performance ?!
    i installed the beta right over the free version no problem... but how do i get shoutcast going on it?
    is only available in the Deluxe version, I think
    i ordered the deluxe to try this out but they said i wouldn't get my code for 2-3 days???
    WOW... I'm posting from my Treo 600 while listening to a 24Kbps shoutcast broadcast!!I had to uninstall pocket tunes 2.05 to install this beta version. Before this I cheched my email with SnapperMail!

Life is sweet!!
    Just a FYI, if you got the basic version by registering your Treo 600 at handspring you can use that reg. # to Upgrade to deluxe for 9.95.
    Just click on Buy Now at the website, then select upgrade, enter you code and checkout.
    Thanks,
    intysf@cs.com
    TreoCentral.com
    Product Page Editor
    If this is a true Beta, why can't we try out the shoutcast without having to purchase an "upgrade". You can't upgrade to a beta version!!! That done make no cents! If I want to install the beta, I should be able to try the "buggy" version of the next thing, and help them make a better product. The beta should be fully functional.

Not that a limited beta would be unprecendented. Too many companies are using "betas" to pseudo-market their product. They get you to install the beta, but then say you have to buy the full license when the beta goes final. They get you on the hook!

I haven't tried any installs of the beta just yet...but I don't think I will care if I can't try out the shoutcast feature...
    Didn't have to pay. Has a 15 day trial period.
    I have the deluxe version of Pocket Tunes and downloaded the beta. However, upon opening Pocket Tunes I recieve a "unable to play audio file" error message. When I go to "open"and select the station, it displays the same error message. Should I delete Pocket Tunes and download beta for it to work? I emailed developer, but he suggested that I may have a low signal, but that is not the case.
    Which streams are available with ShoutCast? Any crossplatform compatibilty or other products that will work from websites that offer RealAudio or WindowsMedia streaming?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    To find stations go to www.shoutcast.com, find stations that are 24kbs or less, click on their "tune in" button, this downloads a .pls file to your desktop, open this file in a text editor and get the address. Or if you have iTunes you let it open iTunes then click on the station and get info.

Hope this helps.
    Why does it have to be 24 Kbps or less? I realize that you probably couldn't sustain 128 Kbps with the T600 connection (even though max speeds go above that), but I know from using Vision for a while now that I maintained above a 80 Kbps throughout my use (modem connections)! How bout 64 Kbps streams?

And back to the original question - does this beta allow you load shoutcast stations? I guess I should just install it myself
  15. agn
    WOW, this works REALLY WELL here in my office. listening to some house music just on the speaker... This is definitely worth the 10 bucks to upgrade to deluxe. I want to support these guys so I gladly paid. I can't wait to get my stereo jack. Just to be able to access the massive colection of musical streams on shoutcast makes the PCS vision really earn its keep.

I do wish someone would develop a voice recorder for dictaphone use, when im driving home at night i get ideas and would love to say them into the treo and write them down later...
    Originally posted by agn
    WOW, this works REALLY WELL here in my office. listening to some house music just on the speaker... This is definitely worth the 10 bucks to upgrade to deluxe. I want to support these guys so I gladly paid. I can't wait to get my stereo jack. Just to be able to access the massive colection of musical streams on shoutcast makes the PCS vision really earn its keep.

I do wish someone would develop a voice recorder for dictaphone use, when im driving home at night i get ideas and would love to say them into the treo and write them down later...
    I know this isn't the ideal solution, but why not dial your office voicemail or home answering machine and just leave yourself some messages and check them later and write them down???
    Originally posted by agn

Yeah, I just installed as well...and it is pretty easy to open a shoutcast channel. All you have to do is open the url, and it grabs the station info, etc, and saves it in a list for future use! Unfortunately, my signal strength here at my place isn't strong enough to get a consistent stream - keep getting buffering messages left and right. I have two bars of strength. I have tried 48 Kbps and 24 Kbps...both stream bitrates give me buffering errors. PTunes should let you adjust the buffer size in order to compensate for areas with less signal (increase from 128k to 512k, or whatever it is now!). That would be a good extra feature? I guess I could pop off an email.

AGN, what bitrate stations are you trying?
    Last edited by zoomer777; 10/29/2003 at 08:55 PM.
    i don't have any problems with 24 that seems to work great... i have a question though - does sprint charge us for our minutes while listening to these streams? i know vision is unlimited but does that still charge against our minutes?

also - what's this "stereo headphone adapter" everyone keeps talking about and where do i get one?
    Originally posted by treoZilla
    does sprint charge us for our minutes while listening to these streams? i know vision is unlimited but does that still charge against our minutes?
    I certainly hope not! Of course, it seems companies like sprint are always saying Unlimited until you pass beyond their limit of reasonable unlimited usage, which is when they start limiting your unlimited usage and charging limitless vision fees on top of your unlimited package.

also - what's this "stereo headphone adapter" everyone keeps talking about and where do i get one?
    It is an accessory that should have been included in the box but costs nearly as much to ship at the cheapest as it does to purchase the device from HS. I believe there are generics out there at radioshack (if you live in the states) but I personally didn't want to get something that might potentially damage my new baby, and decided to go with the HS model to be safe.

headphone adapter
    Vision internet service does not use your minutes up. its unlimited! If it was using your minutes it couldn't be unlimited. Plus I've been using internet on my treos since I first got my 300. Now with my 600 I'm using it even more!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast