Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by sbono13

If you stream 24kbps for 3 hours a day (and do nothing elseon the network), you'll exceed 1 GB total data transferred. That's definitely not "nothing" in the eyes of Sprint, as multiple reports seem to suggest that as the magic threshold of "excessive" Vision abuse.
    WHOA, lets check out math now shall we.

24 Kbps is in bits, which is 1/8 of a byte, and when you multiply 24*1/8 you get 3 KBps (kiloBYTE). So just extrapolate that math out:

3 KBps * 60 seconds = 180 KB/minute * 60 = 10800 KB/hour (or 10.8 MB of data per hour). I think you can extrapolate the math even further! Now, I am hoping your were referencing if you did 3 hours a day for an entire month, you would come in at around 1 GB of data streamed into your phone. 30 or 31 days, at 3 hours a day is quite a marathon of cheap 24 Kbps streams from shoutcast. If you have that kind of need for music, you need to invest in better alternatives!!! Maybe an IPOD, or maybe XM Radio!!!! I would love to shake the hand of the person who can listen to 24 Kbps audio to that extent
    haha funny post. and good point. that kid's math was way off.

anyways here's an interesting thing i tried and it worked. i pay for the mlb.com gameday audio pass so i can listen on my computer using real player. real player isn't supported on the treo, so i didn't think listening to the games on my phone was a possibility...till now.

i setup my computer as a shoutcast server and i opened up and streamed a real player audio from mlb.com (an old archived game) to my desktop and used my sound card output as input to the shoutcast server, just to see if it would work. and it did. so next year when the season starts up, i can just run a shoutcast server on my home desktop and stream the real player content over the shoutcast server and connect using my phone to the shoutcast server. and if i forget to do it before i leave, i can remotely login to my home desktop with palmvnc. pretty damn cool.

this pocket tunes shoutcast stuff has opened up a ton of doors when you think about it. to the people over there at the pockettunes labs, big ups to yourselves
  3.    #63  
    Well, after some fiddling (thanks Daemon), I finally got some streams going, and I must say I'm very impressed! I'm totally blown away that I'm listening to ESPN radio via my Treo!

Now the ultimate would be if someone would write an app to stream video as well!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    mabye they'll cover UM losing to Virginia Tech this weekend.... or maybe not...
  5.    #65  
    Originally posted by Fikse
    mabye they'll cover UM losing to Virginia Tech this weekend.... or maybe not...
    Soooo many Cane haters, it's unbelievable! But don't worry, the "CHokies" won't be a problem!

Btw, is it possible to stream with PT in the background while doing something else? I thought this was possible with mp3 playback, and I would be curious to leran if it was possible via streaming as well!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I noticed the stream stops when you connect or disconnect the synch/charge cable.

Sometimes I have to reset my phone to get it to start playing again.

Was hoping to play this stream but it is probably too large/high bitrate - anyone able to get it to play?
    http://www.lamrim.com/mp3/listen.pls - Tibetan Buddhist lectures and talks.
    hehe.... not a cane hater here... I went to to FSU for undergrad and UM for grad school..... but I'm still more loyal to FSU....

you can listen to a stream in the background....
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by zoomer777

Now, I am hoping your were referencing if you did 3 hours a day for an entire month, you would come in at around 1 GB of data streamed into your phone.
    Oops, I did mean that you would exceed the 1GB monthly "limit" after one month of 3 hrs/day. I know that is probably not realistic usage, but it can add up!
    so everyone here doesn't need to receive phone calls? what if someone needs to reach u in an emergency?
    In emergency, they leave voicemail, which you should be notified of. Right?
    As far as the PCS cards... people are NOT using them for voice, so I dont think sprint will care that a bunch of treo's are streaming here-n-there, we need to make calls. Plus... battery life. The 3 hr a day reference affects not using voice, and the killing of battery.

That 100->85% for 30 min reference is worth noting... simple math says that the phone probably wouldnt last more than that 3 hrs.

In all, I could see how a 2 hr commute somewhere, streaming to keep ya busy is cool, and doesnt hurt anyone, and still have some battery left over.

Very cool deal.
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    How do I get the IP of the streams? All I can get from the Shoutcast site is the DNS URL which Pocket Tunes won't accept. For those of you that got it working, any tips? Thanks.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    How do I get the IP of the streams? All I can get from the Shoutcast site is the DNS URL which Pocket Tunes won't accept. For those of you that got it working, any tips? Thanks.
    Download the .pls file to your desktop from shoutcast. Open it up using notepad or the like. You'll see the ip address and port number there (e.g., xx.xx.xx.xx:xxxx). Be sure to use the port number in pocket tunes as well.
    Originally posted by treotim

Download the .pls file to your desktop from shoutcast. Open it up using notepad or the like. You'll see the ip address and port number there (e.g., xx.xx.xx.xx:xxxx). Be sure to use the port number in pocket tunes as well.
    That works from a PC, I wonder if there's any way to get that from the Treo itself. I'd like to go to Shoutcast's website and get the IP that way so I can add streams on the fly if I'm away from a computer.
    You aren't notified immediately if the caller leaves a voice mail.
    You are notified immediately if the caller leaves a numeric page.
    Originally posted by zoomer777

24 Kbps is in bits, which is 1/8 of a byte, and when you multiply 24*1/8 you get 3 KBps (kiloBYTE). So just extrapolate that math out:

3 KBps * 60 seconds = 180 KB/minute * 60 = 10800 KB/hour (or 10.8 MB of data per hour). I think you can extrapolate the math even further! Now, I am hoping your were referencing if you did 3 hours a day for an entire month, you would come in at around 1 GB of data streamed into your phone.
    I figured .89 GB in a 28 day month at 3 hours per day. (edit) your pretty close, but it's still less then 1gb.

1min in kbps
    24kbps * 60 = 1440kbps (for 1 min in kilobits)
    this equals [1440 / 8 = 180KB (for 1 min in KiloBytes)]

3hrs in kbps
    1440kbps *(3*60min) = 259,200kbps (for 3hrs in kilobits)

7days in kbps
    259,200kbps *(7 days) = 1,814,400kbps

28days in kbps
    1,814,400kbps *(4 weeks) = 7,257,600kbps (one mo. use)

7,257600kbps/8 = 907,200KB

907,200KB/1024 = 885.94 MB

885.94/1000 or 1024? = .89 GB or .87 GB

So, if I did this right which I think I did, this is less than the limit. Am I missing something here. I think it's stretching it a bit to think this is going to be too much for Sprint to handle. I don't think the 1 gig limit in bandwidth equated to just download bandwidth, did it? Anyway, I thought the math earlier was a little flawed so I decided to look it up to be sure. (edit) okay, your math wasn't flawed. You just guessed at the rest. My bad. I was bored at work so I figured I'd just take it further.(edit) Also, add 31.64MB per day over 28 days to be more exact on usage.

Oh yeah, I hope Miami makes it to the Sugar Bowl so OU can exact their revenge on Miami. "Muhahaha!!!"

Go Sooners!
    Last edited by peyote; 10/31/2003 at 03:53 PM.
    I've talked to Tim Norman about the issue of getting Shoutcast URLs into the device, and he is looking into registering PocketTunes with the Palm OS exchange manager so that clicking on a .pls file from Blazer or other web browsers would launch PocketTunes with the contents of that URL, adding it to your stations list. It looks like this may work, but it will require a little effort to get the interaction between the programs correct.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    I haven't figured out a way to do it from the Treo yet.
    It always tries to download the .pls file and then says it's unsupported file type. The *obvious* solution is for pTunes to register itself as the app that does support .pls files such that Blazer will pass it straight over (same way it does when you install PalmHandZipper and now Blazer sends zip files to it).
    I'd be happy if it was even possible to have it send the .pls file to memopad. Anyone know of a hack for Palm OS, to mess with the file associations? I tried McFile but its associations were totally invisible to Blazer.

If I could even fetch the URL of the Tune In link from the Treo, I could write a CGI app on my own web server that you could paste it to, that'd fetch the .pls file and display the contents as text/html, but I see no way to do that either. I can grab the URL of the page I'm on, but not the URL of a link that I haven't gone to yet.

BTw, what I've been doing is rendering the .pls files in WinAmp, then right clicking on the streams in the playlist and bringing up properties to fetch the IPort of the stream.

ian
    In all, I could see how a 2 hr commute somewhere, streaming to keep ya busy is cool, and doesnt hurt anyone, and still have some battery left over.
    Remember, its really easy to setup a car charger. With that in place, battery drain for a commute is a non-issue. Effectively, a Treo 600 with PocketTunes, a car charger, and a audio adapter becomes a pretty compelling substitute for something like XM or Sirius radio.
    So if using the streaming audio (internet) then you would not be able to use the phone to recieve incoming calls. is their any hacks etc to allow the phone to work while surfing etc?
  20.    #80  
    Originally posted by IL PROGETTO
    So if using the streaming audio (internet) then you would not be able to use the phone to recieve incoming calls. is their any hacks etc to allow the phone to work while surfing etc?
    Nope. This is not a matter of PalmOS, rather it a function of the way CDMA 1xRTT works. You cannot do both voice and data via 1xrtt simutaneously. However as others have pointed out, during an active data session when incoming calls are automatically routed to voicemail, the caller has the opiton of leaving a voicemail or numeric page. The latter will be sent instantly...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast