Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 102
  1. #41  
    Originally posted by silverado


    No, Vision didn't go belly up. pTunes has a bug where it leaves connections open until it reaches the maximum of the OS, so no more connections could be made by any program. Reset your Treo and things will go back to normal, for a while.
    tried that.... even did a hard reset... somehow it killed vision for hours.

    vision was working here too as I tested it on my sanyo 4900
  2. #42  
    Technicly I don't see how sprint can complain. To my knowledge this does not volate the Sprint TOS because we are not connecting to a laptop, as most other users do, when they have heavy usage. We are using only the hardware that they sell for their network.
  3. #43  
    it's easy. they just change their terms. like any other contract from a big company there is a line in it that says in so many words that they can modify the TOS without notice.

    i don't think people will be using it a huge amount because of not being able to receive phone calls while you're streaming music.

    the MAJORITY of people who spend $600 for a phone (or whatever close to it) use it for business... the others that are buying it because of being a tech geek may use streaming more... so i would expect a small amount of persistent streaming connections.
  4. #44  
    Originally posted by Mol

    I don't mind being the forum nazi again: could everybody please post in the correct forums? Dumping everything in the Treo 600 forum is just making this board too cumbersome to read & respond.

    Thanks.
    ROLFLMAO!!! Mol, great sense of humor!

    ______________________________
    if it's specific to the Treo 600, it should be in the Treo 600 forum.....

    not many people are looking the "multimedia" forum with the 5 threads.....
    ______________________________

    I could see how you would feel this way ... but if you check the Discussion page it is pretty specific ...

    Treo 600 Forum for Hardware

    Multimedia Forum for MP3's, Video, Players

    This Forum has over 28,000 posts and is really getting tough to navigate sometimes. Let's try and cooperate with the mod's so they don't keep moving threads around.

    OK, Marcus, you can send me that free cradle now!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

    Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  5. #45  
    Originally posted by silverado
    I'm afraid this fun won't last very long. Sprint will soon start to either employ tactics to make this not work and/or start disabling Vision for heavy users, which all of us would be if we listen only a few hours a day.
    No, they'll charge find a premium price for it, which I wouldn't mind (terribly). They currently charge $5/mo for the mobile version of RealAudio, but it only works with 2 Smartphones and not the Treo.

    No reason why they won't try to capitalize on this, rather than take it away. If I pay $40/mo for my high-speed internet connection, I can justify $5-10 for my cell internet connection (but not more).
  6. #46  
    Originally posted by rastoma


    tried that.... even did a hard reset... somehow it killed vision for hours.

    vision was working here too as I tested it on my sanyo 4900
    No need for a hard reset in my experience of 1 day of streaming--a soft one will do.
    Or just add the IP address again and it usually starts up again--you can then delete the original entry. A pain, but not too big a pain as far as workarounds go.

    I also have been able to stream a 32-bit station with no problems, but haven't tried higher.

    I found my battery went from 100% to 85% after about 30 minutes of continuous play via an ear piece with the screen turned *off*. So battery may be the main limiting factor, more than Sprint premium pricing (if it comes) or reception.

    Also I noticed if you plug in or unplug the AC adapter the streaming stops. However, it is merely paused--just hit the play button and it starts right up again.

    Another interesting tidbit: the streaming via Treo 600 seems to be about 3-5 seconds ahead of the streaming on my laptop with broadband--maybe just smaller buffer, and less delay for initiation of streaming, but sort of funny when you first note it--seems like the Treo is beating out the laptop in the digital streaming race!
  7. #47  
    Originally posted by tjd414


    ROLFLMAO!!! Mol, great sense of humor!

    ______________________________
    if it's specific to the Treo 600, it should be in the Treo 600 forum.....

    not many people are looking the "multimedia" forum with the 5 threads.....
    ______________________________

    I could see how you would feel this way ... but if you check the Discussion page it is pretty specific ...

    Treo 600 Forum for Hardware

    Multimedia Forum for MP3's, Video, Players

    This Forum has over 28,000 posts and is really getting tough to navigate sometimes. Let's try and cooperate with the mod's so they don't keep moving threads around.

    OK, Marcus, you can send me that free cradle now!
    Don't be ridiculous! Any good reference text (or Text on CD-ROM now) has multiple listings of the same information so that the USER can find it wherever one thinks to look. What you do is called CROSS-REFERENCING!!!!!! So thank you for mentioning your previous thread about this--we can all read both threads before we comment now. It's fortunate that it was reposted under another thread because I missed the previous one and wouldn't have known about it. That's why information should be available in multiple threads or points of access.

    Somebody needs to have their obsessive compulsive neatness disorder meds today!!
  8. #48  
    Don't mean to be an *****, but I've got the new beta version of PocketTunes installed and can't quite figure out how to get the streaming audio up and running. Read all the previous posts and feel a bit stupid, but...if you open up the .pls file, WHERE do you copy the link to? I've got Pocket Tunes open but can't figure out whether to bookmark it, or what...how exactly do you do this? Sorry, I've a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff.
  9. #49  
    Originally posted by TreoTheo


    Don't be ridiculous! Any good reference text (or Text on CD-ROM now) has multiple listings of the same information so that the USER can find it wherever one thinks to look. What you do is called CROSS-REFERENCING!!!!!! So thank you for mentioning your previous thread about this--we can all read both threads before we comment now. It's fortunate that it was reposted under another thread because I missed the previous one and wouldn't have known about it. That's why information should be available in multiple threads or points of access.

    Somebody needs to have their obsessive compulsive neatness disorder meds today!!
    You're comparing apples to alligators. Cross-referencing makes perfect sense when the medium is static. This board is as static as my grandma's jelly pudding. Are you seriously expecting people to read two different threads about exactly the same topic before replying?

    And dude, lighten up a little. This is a board about smartphones, not exactly a matter of life and death.

    NO SOUP FOR YOU!
  10. #50  
    Originally posted by jojocat
    Don't wanna be a killjoy here, but you can bet that if a lot of streaming starts happening with "unlimited" data service accounts, there will be filtering going on at some point...
    I hate to admit it but your right, I give it 3 weeks before they block the port for SC.
  11. #51  
    Originally posted by zipdrive007


    I hate to admit it but your right, I give it 3 weeks before they block the port for SC.
    I don't think a filter would make good business sense. More like an extra fee for new subscribers to vision, just like they do with PPC's, which can already stream audio.

    Keep in mind, Sprint offers data cards for laptops that run on the same network and use a hell of a lot more bandwidth than the treo. And you've got people out there using pdanet or the like to do the same thing with their treos, for free!

    A little increased functionality for the treo may, at worse, add a fee to a NEW subscriber's vision plan, but not much else.
    Last edited by treotim; 10/30/2003 at 11:49 AM.
  12. #52  
    Originally posted by treotim


    I don't think a filter would make good business sense. More like an extra fee for new subscribers to vision, just like they do with PPC's, which can already stream audio.

    Keep in mind, Sprint offers data cards for laptops that run on the same network and use a hell of a lot more bandwidth than the treo. And you've got people out there using pdanet or the like to do the same thing with their treos, for free!

    A little increased functionality for the treo may, at worst, add a fee to a NEW subscriber's vision plan, but not much else.
    Well, it looks to me like the treo enjoys the same data rate as the laptop cards, and the unlimited data plan for the laptop cards seems to be about $80/mo.

    I guessing the logic is that the network functionality of most phones is so horrid the the users never constitute much of a demand on data services. I would bet, however, that the average treo 600 user (at least in the first month, if you're like me ) uses about 20 times the data of the standard "web enabled" phone that is on an unlimited vision plan.

    So far as the business sense, they need to make sure that the data network stays viable in the short term. Streaming can be extremely taxing on upstream network resources, and while I love the ability to get at streaming content, I would prefer that there be a prioritizing filter that would make sure I can get web content in a responsive fashion. But having said that, I'm having a hard time figuring out if there are enough treo 600's out there to make a dent in Sprints network resources...
    Nice People Suck Less.
  13. sbono13's Avatar
    Posts
    426 Posts
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    #53  
    Just wanted to cross reference an important post from the multimedia sister thread that may help anyone who has had trouble with streacast working on the beta:

    Originally posted by dpuza
    I made the mistake of registering the Pocket Tunes beta when it first prompted me. (Registered with standard/basic serial that came wth Handspring's email, not deluxe). Don't do this or you won't have access to the Shoutcast functionality! If you did this and then delete and reinstall you should be ok - I finally got it going after hearing about some other users experiences here.
  14. #54  
    Originally posted by sbono13
    Just wanted to cross reference an important post from the multimedia sister thread
    Thx. Now that I've joined the party in the kitchen I'm glad that people are still informing me about what's going on in the living room.

    Whatever.
  15. #55  
    Originally posted by jojocat
    ...But having said that, I'm having a hard time figuring out if there are enough treo 600's out there to make a dent in Sprints network resources...
    My point exactly. I don't think 24 Kbps audio streaming by a minority of Treo 600 users is going to make a blip on the Sprint bandwidth meter. If so, and their bandwidth is THAT limited, then they should be charging a lot more for those laptop data cards!
    Last edited by treotim; 10/30/2003 at 01:14 PM.
  16. #56  
    The question is not whether it would make a dent in Sprint's total bandwidth usage. Sprint already has some sort of usage monitoring on an account-by-account basis, so the question is whether listening to streaming audio would raise those flags using the existing mechanisms. Many users have reported being contacted and/or their Vision privilages suspended due to high usage.
  17. #57  
    Originally posted by silverado
    The question is not whether it would make a dent in Sprint's total bandwidth usage. Sprint already has some sort of usage monitoring on an account-by-account basis, so the question is whether listening to streaming audio would raise those flags using the existing mechanisms. Many users have reported being contacted and/or their Vision privilages suspended due to high usage.
    That's where the bad business sense comes into play. Feel free to charge me more, but don't cut my access if you have the bandwidth. That makes no sense.
  18. #58  
    Originally posted by silverado
    The question is not whether it would make a dent in Sprint's total bandwidth usage. Sprint already has some sort of usage monitoring on an account-by-account basis, so the question is whether listening to streaming audio would raise those flags using the existing mechanisms. Many users have reported being contacted and/or their Vision privilages suspended due to high usage.
    Give me a break...outside the few people who had vision service "cancelled' or suspended due to "extreme" use (the people that would come to a forum like this screaming about how Sprint cancelled their Vision service, and how everybody needs to be uber-careful about how they use their data), the majority of the those targetted by sprint were truly abusing their Vision service! I have barely seen anyone ever talk about having their service cancelled, just people speculating this and speculating that - with the occasional comment from the one or two that had a bad experience. You know what they say, one rotten apple spoils the bushel (one rotten banana spoils the bunch, one sour grape spoils the whole vine )! If you use your cell phone all day, accessing vision for email, chatting, pictures - then come home and plug your phone into your computer (desktop or laptop) and connect using PDANet, or the Sprint Connection software, fire up kazaa or imesh, or bust open a bunch of IRC file downloads all night, eating up bandwidth left and right (cause you don't want to pay for a cable or DSL broadband, or even cheap a$$ dial up), then YOU ARE WRONG. This is not the intention of the Vision service - and if I were Sprint, I would crack down or their a$$es too!!! Now I could be eating my words later, but I find it completely unlikely that people streaming 24 Kbps streams from shoutcast are gonna "send up the flags". 24 is nothing!
  19. sbono13's Avatar
    Posts
    426 Posts
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    #59  
    Originally posted by zoomer777

    24 is nothing!
    If you stream 24kbps for 3 hours a day (and do nothing elseon the network), you'll exceed 1 GB total data transferred. That's definitely not "nothing" in the eyes of Sprint, as multiple reports seem to suggest that as the magic threshold of "excessive" Vision abuse.
  20. #60  
    Originally posted by sbono13


    If you stream 24kbps for 3 hours a day (and do nothing elseon the network), you'll exceed 1 GB total data transferred. That's definitely not "nothing" in the eyes of Sprint, as multiple reports seem to suggest that as the magic threshold of "excessive" Vision abuse.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're talking "Kilobits" not "Kilobytes". If so, that math is off a bit (excuse the pun). But hey, if I can download a gig in 3 hours using the treo, whoohoo!!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions