Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    It took me a while to find out how to get to the Shoutcast stations in the deluxe version.

Here is how you do it:

Shoutcast is listed as a source of files from which you can add files to a play list. Tap where you see Palm or SD card in the top right corner and Shoutcast appears as the bottom option.

Click New button to add a stream

Then enter a URL of a shoutcast stream.
    Originally posted by mwomwom
    It took me a while to find out how to get to the Shoutcast stations in the deluxe version.

Here is how you do it:

Shoutcast is listed as a source of files from which you can add files to a play list. Tap where you see Palm or SD card in the top right corner and Shoutcast appears as the bottom option.

Click New button to add a stream

Then enter a URL of a shoutcast stream.
    Hasn't this been covered? You just click "open" and then select "shoutcast" from the dropdown list of filetypes.

Glad you got it working though. Are you saying you got Shoutcast to work on the non-beta version?

As for the Vision using up minutes stuff. Ever since sprint went 3G, the way the network works now, it's impssible for data to consume "minutes" of time Voice and Data are two different streams. The 3G technology is basically data compression technology that lets them utilize extra space in the frequency to tag along data. Because of the compression, we get these higher speeds for data. Think of it like a 4 lane highway (we are good at thinking about Highways up here in Boston ), where two lanes go to voice, and the other two go to data - except, on this highway, you can't change lanes . I was reading the other day about how television broadcasters might actually have room in the future to deliver internet content over the air utilizing standard TV broadcast signals (VHF, UHF, etc!). LOL...I doubt that will happen, but it is technically possible. I am just not sure how the upload would work, it reminds of satellite internet where you still had to upload via 56K modems on the phone line. What's amazing, is that there is plenty of room to broadcast HDTV and all that extra data with it. I can feel my brain sizzling already - phew...

Anyways, enjoy your Vision, and don't worry about minutes!
    Is there a way to try out the beta with the version that comes with the Treo 600 registration? I've gotten the version with the 15 day trial, the version that comes with the Treo, and the beta.

I'd be willing to pay the $10 if i can try it out for 2-3 days to make sure it works.

Anyone know where I would find the registration # to get the $10 version seeing how I have the Treo one. I don't think I any number that it might have gave me, unless it was in the readme.txt or I can use my handspring serial number again.
    i keep getting "unable to play audio file"

i tried everything.... i have it installed on my SD card and am copying and pasting the address from a self- send e-mail....

included the http, then tried www alone....

any ideas?
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    Is there a way to try out the beta with the version that comes with the Treo 600 registration? I've gotten the version with the 15 day trial, the version that comes with the Treo, and the beta.

I'd be willing to pay the $10 if i can try it out for 2-3 days to make sure it works.

Anyone know where I would find the registration # to get the $10 version seeing how I have the Treo one. I don't think I any number that it might have gave me, unless it was in the readme.txt or I can use my handspring serial number again.
    I went ahead an uninstalled the version of PTunes that I got when I registered my 600 with HS. Then I installed the beta over the top of it. This lets you try it all out. BUT before you uninstall, make sure you grab the registration info. I believe you can find this in the PTunes program once installed to the Treo (wherever the "about" selection is in the menus!). If you uninstalled before you wrote that info down, no big deal. You'll just have to unisntall the beta, go back and reinstall the version from HS and grab the info. Then when the PTunes people release the full fledged deluxe super duper version with shoutcast support (if that is what you are looking for), you can upgrade to the latest for like 10 bucks or something close!
    To reply to myself, I don't have a Shoutcast option where people are saying it is, but I assuredly do have the beta as it gives me the warning.
    These shoutcast streams probably won't work too well over the GPRS network I'm guessing??
    I'm listening to ESPN radio on the Treo....

wonder what kind of battery life the treo has while streaming this content..... might have to do a test....
    Originally posted by Fikse
    I'm listening to ESPN radio on the Treo....

wonder what kind of battery life the treo has while streaming this content..... might have to do a test....
    Can you post the URL for that station so I can add it in to my playlist?!
    Originally posted by bmacfarland

In the version that you downloaded when you registered your Treo, in Pocket Tunes, go to menu -> help - > About Pocket Tunes, your Registration Code is listed at the bottom.
  11. agn
    im getting 0 buffer or lag with the 24k stream and it sounds decent. I'm going to test various feeds.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    The problem here may be that folks are putting in the big long URL that shoutcast gives you when you click on Tune In. What you need is the http://<ip>:<port> url.. For example.

http://213.131.230.83:8000 (an 80's stream)

And just to make the steps clear to get this into the playlist are, from the first screen

Playlist button
    New (give it a name) or select a playlist and hit Edit.. then
    Add Song
    In the far upper right corner, select Shoutcast (instead of Palm or CARD or whatever) then
    New
    and you'll get a dialog to enter a URL.
    Try the one above, exactly as shown.
    Hit OK.. It should fetch the station name from
    the stream right away. If it doesn't check the URL (you'll have to delete and re-add if it's wrong)

Hit OK again at the Choose Songs screen then
    Save List and back at Select a Playlist screen choose your playlist.. hit
    Select
    and it should start to play the first stream in your playlist.
    If you want to switch streams (having added several) use
    Open

Of course.. now that I've demonstrated all this, my pTunes has gone totally belly up and says "Unable to play Audio file" the moment I select any stream. ah ha. It looks like Vision just went belly up. Yep.. definitely. Vision just died. That's neat.
    In another thread some other folks said it did this last night too. One guy had to have his phone reprovisioned.. (I sure hope I don't have to deal with that)
    [edit]It's back after about 5 minutes down

ian
    Don't wanna be a killjoy here, but you can bet that if a lot of streaming starts happening with "unlimited" data service accounts, there will be filtering going on at some point...
    Nice People Suck Less.
    how do i get the IP address instead of the domain? Ping it? Then how would I get the port.... hmm... seems a little long to get to it... I hope pocket tunes fixes that part (i read somewhere they were...)
    Slightly off topic, but here's another example of why I'm tired of the way the forums on this board are currently working. I've posted roughly the same information one day earlier in the Multimedia forum and so now we're having two threads discussing exactly the same thing.

I don't mind being the forum nazi again: could everybody please post in the correct forums? Dumping everything in the Treo 600 forum is just making this board too cumbersome to read & respond.

Thanks.
    if it's specific to the Treo 600, it should be in the Treo 600 forum.....

not many people are looking the "multimedia" forum with the 5 threads.....
    Last edited by Fikse; 10/30/2003 at 06:36 AM.
    agreed, I really only want to check ONE forum...
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    me too - the only one i read (or want to read) is the treo 600.
    Originally posted by Daemon

Of course.. now that I've demonstrated all this, my pTunes has gone totally belly up and says "Unable to play Audio file" the moment I select any stream. ah ha. It looks like Vision just went belly up. Yep.. definitely. Vision just died. That's neat.
    In another thread some other folks said it did this last night too. One guy had to have his phone reprovisioned.. (I sure hope I don't have to deal with that)
    [edit]It's back after about 5 minutes down

ian
    No, Vision didn't go belly up. pTunes has a bug where it leaves connections open until it reaches the maximum of the OS, so no more connections could be made by any program. Reset your Treo and things will go back to normal, for a while.
    I'm afraid this fun won't last very long. Sprint will soon start to either employ tactics to make this not work and/or start disabling Vision for heavy users, which all of us would be if we listen only a few hours a day.
    Last edited by silverado; 10/30/2003 at 08:55 AM.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast