Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK... Here goes....

No-one at HS was lying. They have been ready to go.... but T-Mob. & Cingular wanted to have custom Sim Recogition software added to to 600. Ultimately this DID NOT happen, but the delay was caused by it.

It is already available from Cingular in NYC and will be available nationally by friday.

Handspring.com will have UNLOCKED units as well as some of the carrier branded units on their site on the third (11.3) so Donna's by the end of the month statement is true (but only for a VERY few cingular users in NYC)

It will be $499 (unless you have a serial number and WILL lauch by monday)

hate to seem like I cry wolf....

but that what they say as of today...

FYI:

The pages are ready for upload (they said that some people actually navigated to pages for purchase while they were testing them, which they were VERY surpirsed by).. They are going up at 8:30 Pacific time on monday morning..

The pages may even say preorder.... as they only have 3,500 units to send initally, the others will ship on the 14th of november.

-Mike
    Thanks. You always post the most reliable info.
    So where should we buy the product: PalmOne or Cingular/TMO? If we buy from Cingular's/TMO's websites, we won't get the upgrade discount, correct?
    Now we just need to figure out how to get everyone on TreoCentral to get our orders in first so we can get units from the first shipment.

I know where I will be at 8:30 AM Monday.
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    OK... Here goes....
    Thanks for the update. Couple of questions/comments:

1. Can you say how reliable or how high up this comes from, i.e., who is "they?"
    2. The Cingular Web site has the product on the web site for NYC only, but it is NOT available in spite of that fact. Consider that as a pre-pre-order at best. No hard news from Cingular on the truth.
    Weebit. Thank You for this post. You always have reliable information.

Unfortunatly (nothing against you) I don't believe it. They have been playing with wording for a LONG time now and they have no credability with me anymore.

Its simple, just release a statement on thier website. This is easy todo, and the professional thing todo.

Anyway, I am pretty fed up. From now until the 600 comes out(or I give up), I am going to take ANOTHER attempt at looking at every possible alternative option available.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by elysian9

Thanks for the update. Couple of questions/comments:

Can you say how reliable or how high up this comes from, i.e., who is "they?"

"They" is high enough to know exact website implementation times inlcuding testing phases of the site. And is inportant enough to be mention more than 2 times in the Merger 8K filing, the info is good.
    what does that mean? Are they looking for something more advanced than the regular SIM locking or is it something different?
    Wee:

Thanks again. Great info!!!

On Momday will us early adopters who are Cingular customers be able to get an unlocked version of the HS website (or from a CSR)? Or only through Cingular?

If only from Cingular, how do we get the upgrade price/rebate?

I hope you can help!

Todah rabah.

Mark
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Well 11/03 makes sense. Thats the date distributors like Imgram Micro have been listing for the better part of two weeks now.

I think all the earlier dates have been mostly based on rumors and hope
    All,
    Ok....I contacted Cingular this morning to see if I could weasel a T600 from the NYC market. I explained to the CSR that I am a current Cingular customer (which I am) and that I wanted another phone to use while I am in NYC on business. He told me that they could do that and we went thru all the paperwork until we got to the phone. At that time, he did not have access/capability to select the phone from their sales software system even though it was on the website (which he did verify). He told me to give him a couple of hours and drop him an email which I did. Here is his reply back to me on what he found out:

EMAIL TEXT BELOW:

YES!

Thanks!

Gus

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 12:41 PM
    To: Gus Siokis
    Subject: RE: Howdy....

Actually I just got word. We are looking at an ETA on that phone of just a few days. I am told I should have it available either by the end of this week or the beginning of next week. The website jumped the gun a bit on that model. As soon as that becomes available would you like me to call you?

Thanks,

Joel xxxxx

Cingular Wireless

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 11:35 AM
    To: joel.xxxxx@cingular.com
    Subject: Howdy....
    Importance: High

Joel,

Just checking in about my service in NYC for the Treo 600....any word?

Thanks,

Gus Siokis
    OK... Here goes....

No-one at HS was lying. They have been ready to go.... but T-Mob. & Cingular wanted to have custom Sim Recogition software added to to 600. Ultimately this DID NOT happen, but the delay was caused by it.

It is already available from Cingular in NYC and will be available nationally by friday.

Handspring.com will have UNLOCKED units as well as some of the carrier branded units on their site on the third (11.3) so Donna's by the end of the month statement is true (but only for a VERY few cingular users in NYC)

hate to seem like I cry wolf....

but that what they say as of today...

FYI:

The pages are ready for upload (they said that some people actually navigated to pages for purchase while they were testing them, which they were VERY surpirsed by).. They are going up at 8:30 Pacific time on monday morning..

The pages may even say preorder.... as they only have 3,500 units to send initally, the others will ship on the 14th of november.

-Mike
    First, let me thank you for the information and your effortst to be helpful to everyone here.

I still think, however, that there is some fibbing going on here...

First and foremost there is the constant representations from HS that there has been NO delay. You indicate that there has been and you give a rational reason. But to say there is no delay is not honest.

Having some unlocked sets and carrier branded handsets on their site as of 11/3 does NOT mean that Donna's by the end of the month statement was right - November 3rd is NOT the end of the month. And the end of the month was for the unlocked handsets. The carrier specific ones were supposed to precede the unlocked handsets.

Beyond that if all they end up having available is a drop in the ocean that doesn't come close to meeting a reasonable level of demand, then all you have is window dressing. It's like the Oscars when they show a movie once in LA and NY to technically qualify, but it is NOT the "real" release.

Finally, the thing that mystifies me is that you seem to be saying that the only carrier specific units available on 11/3 will be for Cingular, otherwise we will have to simply buy unlocked units. I guess that's not a problem, as long as the T-Mo sim works in the unlocked units.

But once again, it seems to cut into the notion that they have hit their mark and kept their word.
    Well I guess we should drag her out of headquarters in leg irons

Seriously, let's just all get a grip here. If Handspring was ready to go and the carriers were not and it causes a delay of a weekend before it gets worked out is it that big of a deal? Let's just keep this all in perspective. Once the phone actually comes out no one will remember that they said it will be out by friday and it came out on monday instead.
    Any idea, or speculation, if this implies a price reduction for the 270?

I have been waiting for the 600 GSM launch in order to get a good deal on a 270.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by DPEvers

Any idea, or speculation, if this implies a price reduction for the 270?

I have been waiting for the 600 GSM launch in order to get a good deal on a 270.
    You missed the boat on good 270 deals.....

It was 29.99 at Amazon.com for over a month

You missed the boat on good 270 deals.....

It was 29.99 at Amazon.com for over a month
    Now free if you take advantage of all the rebates:

http://www.amazon.com/o/tg/stores/de...bosnation0e-20
    What is custom SIM recognition software?
    Thanks for all the good info being posted here. Especially to Weebit and a few others. This is the only thing keeping this process interesting, and not everybody can be in the know. Thanks for sharing.

Any thoughts on the price structure on these little gsm's his the HS site. I saw Weebit's price of $499, which is very reasonable. However, then I saw in a second thread where TreoPower says that he saw a "false" page on the HS site this morning at 9am, and the price was $699 w/o new service. That sound simply outrageous.

Any further thoughts on this....I don't mean to continually beat a dead horse, but it would be nice to know a definitive price at least....even without a definite date.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by silverado
    What is custom SIM recognition software?
    it was something that they wanted engineers to add to allow unlocked phones to identify the sim and report back to the carrier what/how it was being used, I Think, but I didn't have time to get into it and they weren't very forthcoming.

sorry
    T-Mobile will screw existing customers on this phone!
    You'll pay $699 (yes $699 not $599) and like it or leave it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast