Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I need some help. I have scoured the boards for some info on connecting my laptop the net with my Treo 600. Is this even possible??
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    Check out PdaNet - there is more info elsewhere in the forums.

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php
    while it is possible, you will run the risk of vision service termination due to violation of terms. it has happened to some. check out the forums.
    Hmm, TreoDaddeo6,

why are you asking this question? In another post you stated that you worked for Sprint. Are you trying to sniff out people violating their contract?
  5.    #5  
    LoL. yeah im waiting for one of you guys to slip up and tell me your using vision to download mp3's and programs to your PC so we can terminate your vision services! he he he.. lol.
    Man I am here just like you everybody else. I'm one of the main guys giving info to move around in the sprint system.. i can tell you many things about how sprint works, how to bail out of a contract, how to get more minutes, adding free stuff to accts, acct adjustments etc etc. I just need to know I can use my expensive @$$ laptop to connect to the web through my Treo.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Right now I have a phone on a $30/month + $5 wireless web plan(no vision). I am waiting for my Treo 600 to be delivered.....waiting and waiting...but that is a whole other thread

The Sprint rep told me that i can use my current phone (touchpoint 2200) as a modem connected to my laptop and it only counts against my mins. Since I have unlimited night and weekends I can use all I want during that time. (That is what she said, I asked her specifically about that point)

Please explain to me how my data usage could be shut off for excessive use when I add vision, a more costly feature than the $5/month wireless web w/o vision I am using now. I will be using on average the same amount of bandwidth. The Sprint website says that vision "Includes unlimited web-based Messaging and Web access" If the access is on the phone itself or on a laptop connected to the phone.....it shouldn't matter.

Thanks

Need to be educated
    Originally posted by Loondog
    Right now I have a phone on a $30/month + $5 wireless web plan(no vision). I am waiting for my Treo 600 to be delivered.....waiting and waiting...but that is a whole other thread

The Sprint rep told me that i can use my current phone (touchpoint 2200) as a modem connected to my laptop and it only counts against my mins. Since I have unlimited night and weekends I can use all I want during that time. (That is what she said, I asked her specifically about that point)

Please explain to me how my data usage could be shut off for excessive use when I add vision, a more costly feature than the $5/month wireless web w/o vision I am using now. I will be using on average the same amount of bandwidth. The Sprint website says that vision "Includes unlimited web-based Messaging and Web access" If the access is on the phone itself or on a laptop connected to the phone.....it shouldn't matter.

Thanks

Need to be educated
    Think about it this way -- if you went to a 24-hour all-you-can-eat buffet and chowed down, rested, relieved, chowed down, rested, relieved, etc. to no end you'd eventually be asked to leave, or be thrown out. In the same way, when Sprint says "Unlimited", they mean, "unlimited to a certain extent". What that extent is we don't know, but once you've exceeded that extent, you'll get cut. This of course applies to usage on their data network (Vision).

Their voice network is a different matter. You can stay on as long as you want because you're using your voice minutes (which are finite during weekdays, and infinite during nights and weekends). As you know though, you must dial into your own ISP using this method.

So with Vision, Sprint is your ISP and the longer you're on, the more traffic hits they're servers. With Voice, Sprint is off the hook as your ISP handles all your traffic.

One more thing, I have heard of people staying on their phones all night every night and all weekend (essentially using all their unlimited minutes). They too got contacted by the Sprint police!
    go.digital
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    ok, so what you are saying is that my current $5 no vision wireless web plan falls under the same rules as the $15 vision plan? Excessive use will be cut off?

So what the Sprint rep told me about using my current plan all I want during my unlimited night and weekends is false? And I am treading into that grey area that no true answer exists and just hope that my usage isn't excessive.

Sprint needs to nail this down with an actual answer (something I had to begin with). Yea...I know...I am preaching to the choir.
    The official Sprint line is that you cannot use it with a laptop. Most of Sprint's phones let you do this through unsupported methods (e.g. WirelessModem), however the Sprint TOS expressly forbids you from using your Phone/PDA Vision plan with a laptop. They want you to buy their PC card and use one of their expensive laptop plans. If you use it sparingly, chances are Sprint won't care (I use it about once a month and it works fine for me) but if you use it as your main ISP, chances are Sprint will notice and ask you to stop. (Everything I've heard so far suggests that if you are detected, they let you off with a warning... repeat offenders have to pay for their bandwidth, however.)
    I've heard of people using it for 3-4 hours a day for web browsing with no problem. Dowloading large audio or video files might cause a problem.
    I also heard that you can buy PDAnet to connect your laptop to the TREO.

I was mostly interested for the "once-in-a-while" case when I might need to connect quickly with my laptop - when surfing the Web with the TREO just doesn't cut it - for Mappoint.com or something...

...but I also read in another thread that PDAnet screws up the sync-function... so I haven't even attempted it.

Confirm?
    Actually loongdog here is the deal.

You can't use your $5 web anymore. If you upgrade to a Sprint Vision phone then you have to use the Vision service. I thought I was going to be able to still use my plan like that, but it don't work that way. I had to upgrade to the $15 in order to use Vision. Good thing is that you get 2 months of it for free to try out. So far I have been pretty happy with it, now that I have a color phone that can browse normal web pages with graphics I use the web way way way more than I use to. So had I been able to use the $5 web feature, I woudl definitely have been paying the extra $10 in minutes.

I figure when my contract is up I'll get them to reduce my fees or I'll leave. With number portability it's all good.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Originally posted by rufo
    The official Sprint line is that you cannot use it with a laptop. Most of Sprint's phones let you do this through unsupported methods (e.g. WirelessModem), however the Sprint TOS expressly forbids you from using your Phone/PDA Vision plan with a laptop.
    Then why do they sell wireless web connection kits on their (Sprint) website if they forbid its use with a laptop? The picture right on the package shows a woman using it with a laptop.

http://www.sprintpcsaccessories.com/...y.jsp?prod=640
    (look at the 25th item down on the list of accessories)

Then why do they sell wireless web connection kits on their (Sprint) website if they forbid its use with a laptop? The picture right on the package shows a woman using it with a laptop.

I think you're slightly confused here. Wireless Web and Vision are two completely different things. Wireless Web is almost identical to a traditional modem connection. It uses your minutes to dial into a connection and uses up the phone line for the entire time. The top speed is about the same as a 14.4kbps modem. Vision is more similar to DSL. You log onto Vision and can remain connected for hours without tying up the phone line (however, if you're transmitting or receiving data, any incoming calls will roll straight into voicemail and you will be notified.) It's measured by kilobytes instead of minutes, and the top speed is 144kbps - in real-world situations, most people see better-then-56k speeds.

Anyway, they might still sell Wireless Web Connection Kits for phones that still support Wireless Web, but they do not sell such kits for Vision-enabled phones. You can find data cables, but not directly from Sprint. Sprint doesn't care about Wireless Web because it's not a flat rate - it comes out of your minutes. Vision is a flat rate for unlimited use. Sprint doesn't like that.
    I doubt Sprint is going to ever be heavy handed on this issue. The people who would use it as a wireless modem tend to have the higher rate plans and pay over $100 month. Those aren't the kind of customers they want to **** off with number portability coming next month.

Sprint should trumpet the use of data through a PDA and notebook. It would be a huge competitive advantage if priced around $25 for unlimited usage.

Analysts say that Sprint and AT&T Wireless are going to lose the most customers when portability kicks in. The last thing they will do is alienate customers.

If you pay the extra "data" fee Sprint is more than happy to let you use your phone as a modem under the "PCS Vision for PCS Connection Cards" program, thus the product you are mentioning.

That product won't work with the Treo 600 however.

I believe sprint charges $40 for 20megs of downloads under their data program.

Rediculous considering I downloaded 30megs to my Treo 600 in just 10 days.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Thanks for all your help everyone, I was comparing apples to oranges.

As you can guess I can't wait to get my 600.

It would seem to me that connecting your phone to your laptop would be a no brainer. An obvious option that Sprint supports and stands behind. I guess they do with their way expensive PCMCIA cards. I will just keep my usage at a minimum.

I do have Wi-Fi in my laptop and do run into the ocassional wireless network , but that is something that I can't rely on.
    Vision is different from wireless web; if you dial outside their network, it's $0.39/minute. If you dial their special network, it's free, but they can't bill for it so they just shut it off if you use too much. In some ways, this is worse than Wireless Web. In other ways, it's nicer.

I have not agreed at any time not to use my Treo with my laptop, and indeed, about half the Sprint people I've talked to have said that it is allowed, but not supported. In any event, what you need is wmodem (notifymail.com/wmodem), and you should be good. If you're running a real OS, you just hook up to the second USB com port. If you're running Windows, I have no idea what you do. For a Mac, wmodem comes also with an OS X driver.
    The larger question, treo-lovin' Daddy, is - WHY use the treo to connect to the laptop? I contend that the treo exists to FREE you from the laptop - free you from the windows tyranny. Free you from connections and booting up and such! No more lugging that beast around! Say no to all that plastic and YES to all that is Treo!

I use my treo to allow me to get away from the PC world. It allows me freedom - it fundamentall changes how you can work.

So - cast off that PC - unchain yourself. Goodbye dreaded PC!!
  20.    #20  
    lol. that is true. I was wanting to find out how I can use the treo to connect casually. I love my treo!!! im posting these messages on my treo from work. everybody constantly jocks me on it. now alls I need is that $50 case from that bellagio company and I'll be set. I'll have to check that site out \
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast