1.    #1  
    I called Cingular to ask what data plans are avaiable for the T 600. The Rep. I spoke to said I could get the $3.99 plan and browse using my minutes, but she wasn't 100% sure. Anyone familiar with Cingular's data plans know if this is true?

There's also a $6.99 plan that allows 1 MB of data. I would rather get a plan with a lot of minutes, including free nights and weekend and use the data against those, then to pay $20 for only 100 Kilobytes.

The web site posts the following data plans and I'm pretty confused.

Standard Plans listed are in Kilobytes..

(IM + 100) $19.99 100 Kilobytes $0.20 per Kilobyte

(IM + 200) $27.99 200 Kilobytes $0.17 per Kilobyte

(IM + 500) $29.99 500 Kilobytes $0.15 per Kilobyte

(IM + 1000) $34.99 1000 Kilobytes $0.15 per Kilobyte

(IM + 3000) $49.99 3000 Kilobytes $0.05 per Kilobyte

(IM + Unlimited) $59.99 Unlimited
    Last edited by Jay21; 10/29/2003 at 09:19 AM.
    Cingular's data rate plans are not very competitive and the $3.99 that the CSR told you about is for their wireless internet service only.
    For the Treo you can use "wireless internet" which is their CSD dial up connection and it simply comes out of your pooled minutes or you can add "wireless internet express" which is their GPRS service and also includes the "wireless internet".
    Here are their price points:

$6.99 for 1MB
    $14.99 for 5MB
    $24.99 for 10MB
    $34.99 for 20MB
    $54.99 for 40MB
    $74.99 for unlimited

They are pretty crazy considering Sprint has unlimited data for $15 and T-Mo has unlimited for $20
    but I hear rumors that Cingular is gonna change their rate plans to obviously be more competitive. (I hope!)
    I've had their 1MB plan for the last year and 1/2 and have exceeded that maybe once or twice and I use it quite a bit for email so even if you went to they're 5 MB plan you should be fine.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Originally posted by Jay21
    I called Cingular to ask what data plans are avaiable for the T 600. The Rep. I spoke to said I could get the $3.99 plan and browse using my minutes, but she wasn't 100% sure. Anyone familiar with Cingular's data plans know if this is true?
    That sounds like Cingulars GSM service. Not what you want, it's maybe a third as fast as GPRS.

Not to knock Cingular too much, but their data plans are why I left them.

Sprint and TMo offer unlimited plans for $15 and $20 respectively.

Good thing, in just over 10 days I've downloaded 35+ megs of data.
  4.    #4  
    Their data plans are not very competitive at all. What's the incentive to switch?

$25.00 for 10 MB is excessive, and frequest use of the T600's web browsing will go way over that MB allowance. Can't see why anyone would pay these rates when T-Mobile offers unlimited for $20 and Sprint unlimited Vision is $15.

Unless Cingular service offers something over the competition that I don't know about
    I recently took a look at this web site that shows GSM coverage across the US for all the GSM players. See here:
    http://www.gsmworld.com/cgi/imap_gsm...ame=middle&p=0

According to that map, my state (Connecticut) has pretty bad T-Mobile coverage (pretty much runs along all of the highways and the major towns/cities but has huge dead spots all over the place). According to that site, though, both Cingular and AT&T have great coverage (hard for me to believe, actually).

Additionally, Cingular uses the 850 band in CT, though my understanding is that they botched the implementation of it such that it uses the 1900 band to lock in on the tower and the 850 band for the actual voice call. The advantage of the 850 frequency is that it penetrates buildings better than 1900. Because of their implementation of it, though, it's difficult to say whether you gain any of that advantage.

I've been really wanting a Nokia 3650, but I don't want to find out that T-Mobile service is horrible (which I think it will be). Unfortunately, as everyone's mentioned here, Cingular (and AT&T) have lousy data plans. Verizon has a plan that allows you to use your voice minutes to surf on their high-speed network. IMO, that would be acceptable. But this $20 for 5MB nonsense (or whatever it is) is ridiculous.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.