Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The TREO 180 was dead within about 6 months.

The TREO 90 was essentially dead on arrival.

The TREO 270 doesn't look like it lasted any longer than the TREO 180, though Handspring never mentioned the ending of production AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

We know the TREO 300 lasted about 3 quarters befoire it was dead because Handspring told us Sprint told them "No more!".

Handspring's gone, palmOne's CEO (or someone - I forget who) mentioned combining the "best features of TREO 600 and [some] Tungsten" in the shareholder meeting.

So...

How long til the TREO 600 is put to pasture?

==

"dead" herein means "out of production" - taking months and months (or w.r.t. the 270, years!) to sell out of existing inventory isn't "alive".
  2. purpleX
    depending on price of course. If treo600 is priced at $99 like treo300, it will last until after christmas 2004. But can carier spends money like in the bubble era? I think not.

at current price of ~$450 it will die market wise by May/June. Competition is too fierce. World wide non US market is pretty much over by end of next month, they miss the boat by 3 months. Palmone probably will have to kill it mercifully by around October next year, faster if they have new model ready.

so that's 12 months without significant price change? not bad really.
  3.    #3  
    No, I explicitly meant "out of production", not "not being sold anymore" by the word "dead'.

The TREO 600, since it obviously is NOT being produced in the outrageous quantities that the 270 and 300 were, will probably be "not being sold" almost as quickly as they are "out of production" but the question posed by this thead for discussion is "how soon til palmOne drops production of the TREO 600" and its corollary "How soon til that next best thing is, at the very least, hinted about seriously by palmOne" since the CEO ==already== mentioned the "next best thing"!
    Depends on how quickly pa1mone comes out with a replacement model. There are some known shortcomings to the current model ( lo-res screen, bt) and it's already been stated that they are working on the new version.

Depending on how much it costs to make the treo and whether they can sell it at a reduced price and still make a profit after recouping fixed costs, it might stick around as the low end version of the treo 1000 or whatever their next version is. Otherwise 8-10 months would probably be the longest it'll be around

Their biggest problem will be to drive enough cost out of production to be competitive in price vs the Nokias and Sony Ericssons of the world.
  5. purpleX
    1. I'll put my number mid Summer, because by that time they have to upgrade treo600 whether they want it or not.

2. Next best thing? If it is treo 620 with BT, little more memory, various fixes and patches, probably April.

If we are talking treo 700/800, aka 'secret next best thing' gah.. only OS 6.0 can do that. It won't happen after Q4 '04 that's for sure.

Bottom line Palmone has about 3-4 months gap in the product. Symbian and Microsoft will eat them alive.
  6.    #6  
    I was actually somewhat floored while listening to the webcast to hear the CEO actually acknowledge already that they were combining features of a Tungsten and the 600 (in response to a very-directed question)!

It has been posted here w.r.t. the 270 that Hawkins purportedly said "We had to put that one out" (paraphrased). The CEO acknowledging a need to put out another device already suggests - strongly - the same could be said about the TREO 600 (not to mention Handspring's former CEO saying ata Mission Possible event that the TREO 600 was expensive and an early-adopter device still!).
  7. purpleX
    They can't do much in price department, unless adopting some radically different internal. Microsoft learns this the hard way, that's why they quit being so gungho and start playing nice with TI and Motorola.

Tungsten + treo600? What specifict Tungsten feature fits in treo 600? BT and audio recorder?
  8.    #8  
    Got me! I wasn't listening real closely at the time - simply remember a convoluted question with the CEO of palmOne (or someone) saying "Yup - in the works!" (paraphrase).

I don't think that comment was about Hawkin's secret ideas, though, but an actual device...

====

BTW - there are rumor(s) about palmOne itself being taken over - would certainly justify the outrageous price they paid for Handspring (quarter billion dollars worth of diluting stock). IMHO nothign else CAN justify that cost.

Whatta game!
  9. purpleX
    If you are referring to C|NET's treo 600 launch interview. The reporter asks what's in the next treo. Dubinsky answers 'BT, WiFi, bigger screen" very general term. I think she was just saying it.

This is the first time I've heard about this treo 600+ Tungsten device.

-----
    who on earth want to buy Palm? PSRC I can understand, since by owning PSRC one would control the entire Palm products, even Palmone. (I bet there is a million ways to weasle out of licensing contract)
    I'd go with 9 months before they stop for the next big thing. If they do something like more memory, BT, and one or two other upgrades that can sit the same form factor of the T600, I still count that the T600-line and hence still in production. If they can pull enough of those (i.e. screen, wi-fi, etc.) to generate a T800 it would be hard to say it ever stopped and just transitioned.
    Tungsten + Treo 600 is just marketing lingo for putting the features people have complained about into the Treo, i.e., better screen, BT, voice recording, etc.

Hey, this is my binary 1K'th post!
  12. purpleX
    They are not going to be able to pull a triple wireless device in 9 months. Palm doesn't even have a dual wireless device in their offering, let alone knowing how to do triple. Currently there is only one device with triple wireless, and that's TI WANDA. Handspring isn't known for advance radio integration, that's big boy game.
    I think it has more to do with the product lifecycle. Before Handspring released the 600 they were already working on the next model. With product lifecycle being what it is in this field I would expect to see a completely new device by fall of next year. I would expect an incremental upgrade to the device by march/april of next year if they intend to release an incremental upgrade.

It would be a poor descision on P1's part to not actively pursue the R&D for a new device prior to the end of production of the current device.

As far as how long the T 600 will be produced. I think we can expect to see it for at least a year. If they can recoup the R&D and initial costs so that they can bring the retail price down we might be able to see the device sold well into 2005 as a low end el cheapo starter smartphone. I don't think that will be the case.

With the speed that the PDA and phone markets are driven I don't expect to see this device out for much more then a year.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    9-12 months.

But I don't see what the big deal is. That's the lifespan of a high tech device.

SE came out with the P800 late last year. Now they're on to the P900. Big whoop. PalmOne will do the same thing.

The P900's got some short commings still. There will be a new version next year. The same goes for the T600. And of course there will be 2,347 new Nokia models in the same time frame.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    My comments:

1. Don't put too much stock (excuse the pun) into what a CEO says during a merger announcement (or any other announcement geared towards exciting the shareholders and analysts).
    2. P1 better sure as hell be working on the next version of the Treo. What else are they being paid to do? These devices are not designed, developed, and tested in a month or two. And if they're smart (I'm sure they are), they should be aiming high on functionality when designing the new device, because they'll always end up taking out some features before production (e.g., to reduce cost, to improve battery life).
    3. For now, enjoy your Treo 600, because it's the best convergence device on the market (especially for those of us who demand a keyboard!).
    Looks like we have a big old case of sour grapes here. First we have a couple people who swore that the Treo 600 would never come to be. Then we heard that you couldn't get one. Now these same never ending sources of negativity can't wait for the phone to die!!! What a joke!
    I for one completely enjoy this device. It does all I could ever ask for both personal and business use.

Taking into consideration that this thread is populated by two main characters and that this is all sour grapes, maybe we can get this thread title changed to Sour Purple Visitor

Get some kind of life.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    They are not going to be able to pull a triple wireless device in 9 months. Palm doesn't even have a dual wireless device in their offering, let alone knowing how to do triple. Currently there is only one device with triple wireless, and that's TI WANDA. Handspring isn't known for advance radio integration, that's big boy game.
    TI doesn't make phones either, the WANDA is a reference Spec that they developed in the hopes of selling more mobile components. HS is using the TI OMAP processor currently which will support Bluetooth with the right chip. TI also has OMAP processors that will support both Bluetooth and 802.11. Since HS and TI already seem to have a good working relationship, and the fact the TI is shipping more chips now with HS than with the WANDA, I would bet that TI would be more than willing to help HS/P1 to integrate a different OMAP processor into a future Treo, with minimal or no impact on form factor. TI is going to sell and help whoever will by their products and it makes sense for HS/P1 to stay with OMAP since they have already have R&D invested in them.

Also I don't think you can use BT and Wi-Fi at the same time, unless you use the 5.2 GHz Wi-Fi (802.11a???), because 802.11b and g operate at 2.4 GHZ like BT and they will interfere with each other. So I don't think this fantasy that everyone has about being able to browse the web via Wi-Fi, while talking on their mobile phone with a BT headset is going to work.
    Last edited by lnichols; 10/29/2003 at 01:22 PM.
    Originally posted by treotim
    My comments:

1. Don't put too much stock (excuse the pun) into what a CEO says during a merger announcement (or any other announcement geared towards exciting the shareholders and analysts).
    I say a better rule is not to trust anything a CEO says. I have been burned multiple times by these slimeballs personally and will never trust another CEO. These guys are only interested in protecting themselves with golden parachutes so that if they run a company into the ground, their asses are covered with a pretty compensation package.
    Well after looking at the TI OMAP 310 system diagram, the OMAP310 will supports TI's TNETW1130 WiFi chip that supports up to 54 Mbps, 802.11a/b/b+/g. Here is the link:

TI OMAP310 System Diagram

Looks like TI's OMAP line has some really good features that can be exploited by the Treo line in the future.

Unless MS buys TI (and I don't think they could even if they wanted to), then their is no reason why these features can't/won't end up in a future Treo product and fit in the close to the same form factor.
    Originally posted by santa
    9-12 months.

And of course there will be 2,347 new Nokia models in the same time frame.
    LMAO!

You are so right about that Nokia thing!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast