1.    #1  
    Well, at least on the 600, maybe if you have a hirez palm device, it might work better. POCKET PC blows the 600 out of the water in every category when it comes to multimedia. But then again, I didn't expect the T600 to be a "multimedia" powerhouse - esp not with it's low rez screen. But enough people have *****ed about that already. I just wanted to get other people's opinions on this Kinoma player! I downloaded 3 different types of kinoma movies (Panorama, VR, and a movie Trailer), and the pan and VR movies were fine enough, so I guess they might have a use, but the movie trailer looked horrible! I loaded the Matrix Revolutions trailer (approx 6 MB) and after some severe finagling with my storage card (a weak point in the Palm design), I got it to play. Now, I have had some others point out my SD card may be having some issues with my 600, BUT, I did a performace run of the trailer, and got an average of 55 FPS. The problem is, the player seemed to only play the upper left quarter of the trailer in the window. I made sure that I installed the proper rez trailer (not the high rez version!), and can't figure out why on earth it plays like that. The preferences section of Kinoma offers very litte in the way of config options, and for the life of me, I couldn't get even a squeak of sound to come out of any speakers on the thing (including a headset!). SO anyways, I'm not gonna keep *****in about it, I just find it hard to believe that there are dedicated users of this software (at least on the 600, I can't talk about other devices)?! And if there are, then maybe you can enlighten me to my idiocy? Or maybe you all have just settled for less - or maybe you just don't know how sweet the fruit can be on the other side! (POCKET PC!) I have a huge collection of the simpsons episodes all in real player format (wasn't my choice, but they work!) on my computer. When I travel, I like to throw a few episodes onto an SD card and pop them into my Ipaq and watch them on the go. It works beautifully, and is totally enjoyable. When I heard/read about Kinoma, I chuckled and said to myself that maybe I could enjoy the same with my shiny new 600. I know that there is no Palm Real Player yet (or is there?), but maybe in the near future one would have been released. If Kinoma is any indication of how watching a video would be on my 600 - then I'll stick with my Ipaq when it comes to those multimedia chores!

Until later,
    e
  2. purpleX
    Get a cheapo PPC like X3 or Asus 620 and hush already.

otherwise wait until the first US version of PPC with 16bit screen. now THAT's something to look at. forget VGA, 16bit is the next big thing.
  3.    #3  
    I have an Ipaq 1945! No need for another PPC, geesh...even I think that many PDAs is too much I am just trying to stir up some discussion here. Get people's opines! And 16 bit is the next "big" thing? Not really - the talk is around Toshiba's newest PPC with the 640x480 screen!!!!! Now that's sweet!
  4. purpleZ
    Originally posted by zoomer777
    Well, at least on the 600, maybe if you have a hirez palm device, it might work better. POCKET PC blows the 600 out of the water in every category when it comes to multimedia.
    Let's see... you're complaining about watching VIDEOS on a small PDA-phone? Makes a lot of sense. Why don't you complain that the Treo 600 doesn't let you run AutoCAD or do computer animation? The attempts to find fault with the Treo 600 are getting lamer and lamer every day. Is this the best Redmond's finest can come up with?
    yeah, if you really want a mobile platform for multimedia you are going to have trade the keyboard for more screen space and a brick-like form factor. It's not a factor of the OS, because both Palm and PPC can and do support hi-res.

And yes you can get Real Player on a Palm. http://www.realnetworks.com/mobile/p...alm/index.html

I'd say your best bet is to go with something like the RCA Lyra 20GB RD2780 (http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/337/C1383/) when it comes out or Archos' version that's already available.

Complaining about the Treo's screen for multimedia is like complaining about the camera for taking pictures that look bad when blown up to 8"x10" for framing. If you want to do it right, at this point you have to get a dedicated device.

I haven't seen a PPC that is much more than a multimedia device with some communication abilities pasted on.
    I have played many videos just fine on the Kinoma player, most of them converted by me. I have never seen the problem you mentioned. By the way, this player doesn't scale videos; they have to be converted for the correct screen size. Maybe that's the problem you have. I've even played movies on it while PocketTunes is playing mp3's and, amazingly, it didn't skip a frame and I heard both audio tracks simultaneously.
  7. purpleX
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    Complaining about the Treo's screen for multimedia is like complaining about the camera for taking pictures that look bad when blown up to 8"x10" for framing. If you want to do it right, at this point you have to get a dedicated device.
    lol, treo has all the thing to complain for. It was cutting edge 5 months ago, 5 months from now it won't even pass as overpriced disposable handset.

I haven't seen a PPC that is much more than a multimedia device with some communication abilities pasted on.
    Well PPC is not the one without voice dial, can't receive fax or have semi functional browser. Better communication abilities sounds about right. two words: better reception.
  8. purpleX
    Originally posted by silverado
    I have played many videos just fine on the Kinoma player, most of them converted by me. I have never seen the problem you mentioned. By the way, this player doesn't scale videos; they have to be converted for the correct screen size. Maybe that's the problem you have. I've even played movies on it while PocketTunes is playing mp3's and, amazingly, it didn't skip a frame and I heard both audio tracks simultaneously.
    the player doesn't do auto screen resize? heh.
    I hope you didn't pay more than $99 buck for that gadget. gaw...
    Originally posted by purpleX
    Get a cheapo PPC like X3 or Asus 620 and hush already.

otherwise wait until the first US version of PPC with 16bit screen. now THAT's something to look at. forget VGA, 16bit is the next big thing.
    if multimedia is important to u, then get the Palm Tungsten T3. That will give u best video.
  10. purpleX
    Tungsten3? The one that fries SD card?

lesse:
    -Kinoma is stil the only player available. mmplayer is not even version 1.0 yet, crash happy. (Ever wonder why nobody ever reports watching a complete feature length movie on Palm device? You can't! Do try it first before giving a knee jerk response.)
    -Assuming your SD card survive T3, it still can't beat CF on large storage size.
    -Battery doesn't last more than 2 hrs, with non replaceable battery. It better be a short flight.
    -And no, it doesn't have the biggest screen and highest resolution out there.

So, I am not sure what T3 gives the best video means...
    Watching full length feature movie isn't a reality yet for Palm. Short video maybe, but not a 2 hrs movie.
    I am using Kinoma player. I like it, works fine for my needs have a few Seinfeld and Simpson episodes. I had problems with it at first converting the files over to kinoma format. I tried Kinoma producer two and set the settings to handspring treo 600 and it works fine now.