1. dre
    Downloaded Bounceout trial program from Handspring site. When I run the program and begin playing the game, all is well. After a few moves (haven't figured out whether the number of moves is a constant or a variable), the sound effects disappear. If I quit the program and try another, e.g., Vegas Slots (downloaded from handspring treo 600 downloads), the sound doesn't work on this software either. However, after sound is missing from these games, I can still play mp3s, other system sounds seem to work, etc. A soft reset will bring the sounds back but then when I run Bounceout again, same thing will happen.

The same thing happens if the first (after reset) program that I run is Vegas Slots.

If I then run another game, say Bejeweled, the sounds seem to work fine even after the sound on the Vegas Slots or Bounceout stopped working (although I believe that once the sound on Bejeweled didn't work and I had to reset to get it back).

What is interesting is that Handspring is endorsing both of these programs (Vegas Slots and Bounceout) as Treo 600 compatible. As a result, I am wondering whether there might not be something wrong with my Treo. The fact that sound continues to work on some games (pocket tunes, system sounds, etc.) even after it stops on others suggests it might be a software problem, but I can imagine that different software makes calls to different parts of Treo sound system. If so, it could be a problem with the Treo 600 itself or just with my Treo.

Anyone notice similar events with same software? I don't have another Treo 600 to try the software on and so I can't tell whether it is software problem or my Treo.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced sound problems with their machines.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    There are other threads on this, which a search would have shown.

Anyway, I have this too and others as well. I am assuming they all do.

The new bejeweled doesn't (one with music) because it uses the newer sound (I'm guessing OS5 sound) as opposed to to old sound system.

Games that are not made for the OS5 sound will always lose sound (at least on mine).

This is the only thing that TRULY bugs me about the Treo. I can't believe that they didn't catch this at all in all the testing that was done. It's really amazing they didn't test it more than 5 seconds.

It really ruins the fun from a lot of the games.

Can ANYONE out there say they Do *NOT* have this problem?

It even happens in the klondike that came with the install disk!!
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Just wanted to add/request...

Can others try some games like Klondike included with the Treo or Bounce Out or other non-OS5 games and let us know if the sound cuts out after a minute or two?

I'd like to determine if it's a few tha are messed u p (and should be exchanged) or if it's all of them.
  4. dre
    I sent email to Astraware. I received an immediate, prompt and informative reply (way to go Astraware tech support):

"Checking it against our own Treo 600, I have indeed managed to reproduce the bug with ease It seems related to the cascade sound, though this doesn't seem to be the only trigger. The developers current working theory is that since Bounce
    Out is such an old game (by comparision to our others), there may be something in the old piezo sounds that is causing the piezo sound speaker to lock up (resulting in all other games which also use it to suffer this as well).

The developer of Bounce Out will take a look at this problem tomorrow, although I understand that there are plans to do a major enhanced sound update to Bounce
    Out in the near(ish) future anyway.

Could I possibly also ask where you saw Bounce Out as listed as Treo 600 compatible please? While the game itself doesn't cause any major problems with the device, I can at least get it corrected for now! If the listing is the one I think it is (i.e. the Handspring software shop, which is actually run by a company called Handango), then modifying this may be harder than it first
    appears If it is the Handango shop that is displaying compatibility, then this is based on the compatible devices list in the Bounce Out listing on the Handango website - but Handango make no distinction between the old Handspring Treos and the new - offering only "Handspring Treo" as a choice

Now we know of the problem, we can at least look at it and make sure it will be fixed, though I don't yet know how soon the fix will be available (our testing team is swamped at the moment, so finding spare time to test and update is hard)

Warmest regards"

I have since learned from other game manufacturers that they considered this to be a known bug in the Treo 600 OS, a bug that some manufacturers believed would be fixed BEFORE the 600 came out. One commented that the Treo 600 is already doing "funny" things, e.g., the OS expects a hi-res screen but Handspring is "tricking" it with the lower res screen. (This might explain why Mobile Access 2004 displays in 1/4th size on the 600?) One said that they were waiting for Handspring to come out with updated software to fix the sound problem and as a result had no plans to fix their software to work with the Treo 600.

Now the only issues are whether the Rev A, B, or C makes a difference, when, if ever, will Handspring update OS, and why Handspring marketing wouldn't know about this problem and avoid suggesting that we download software via links to its site that are incompatible with current version of OS and hardware.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dre
    Now the only issues are whether the Rev A, B, or C makes a difference, when, if ever, will Handspring update OS, and why Handspring marketing wouldn't know about this problem and avoid suggesting that we download software via links to its site that are incompatible with current version of OS and hardware.
    Well, I didn't check bounce out compatability. BUT, Klondike, which is supplied WITH THE TREO 600 install disk also does this.

If it was some OS5 issue, then I'd say ok, but I do not see this being reported on other Palm OS5 devices so my first thought is that it is a bug in the Treo 600 firmware.

By the way, I have revision B.. my friend has C and the sound went out on his too.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hey how do you tell what revision phone you have?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    found it sorry
    says under phone\info
    I'm not 100% certain if this is the same problem. I don't use the game sounds since I often play games when bored (in meetings, at my desk, etc..) and I don't want people to know that I'm playing. Anyway, I found this subject because I'm having a similar problem with the sound terminating in numerous alarm-clock programs. I've tried dozens of them and they all seem to have the same problem. The sound will work sometimes, but most of the time I have to do a soft reset before I use the alarm clock. If I don't, then the clock will turn the screen on, but no sound will come out. This is true even when I go into the menu and try to "test" the alarm sounds. It just doesn't work unless I reset first. I'm guessing that this is the same problem you guys have reported about the game sounds. Has anyone reported this to Handspring? Are they planning on fixing this? Is it even possible to fix?
    Yes its the same problem. The only way I know of to fix it is for a developer to use OS5 sound in their program, or to do a soft reset the night before and hope the sound sticks.