1.    #1  
    I'd like to ditch my pager if I can. Are there any services that would relay a land line telephone (numerical) message to Sprint SMS?
    Last edited by neill; 10/28/2003 at 09:20 PM.
    Originally posted by neill
    I'd like to ditch my pager if I can. Are there any services that would relay a land line telephone (numerical) message to Sprint SMS?
    When you call a Sprint phone and go to voicemail, there's an option to leave a numeric message. This is just like paging.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

When you call a Sprint phone and go to voicemail, there's an option to leave a numeric message. This is just like paging.
    I'm a doctor, and I'd rather not give out my cell phone number to patients. This is why I was hoping there was a paging service that could relay the text message for me.
    have them call your office and then have the office page you (after screening for importance).
    Ringcentral.net has a 1-800 number which has voicemail, call forwarding, and paging services for about $15.00/month.

It comes with a 7-day free trial, so you can try it with the Treo and see how it works. I just started using it, and it is pretty slick.

It has fowarding options, so your patients can call your 1-800 number and be forwarded to you, if you want. Or, if you don't want to be disturbed, your cell phone can just be paged when they call.
  6.    #6  
    Great find!! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for

Upon closer examination, the privacy policy looks a bit sketchy. They say that they have the right to give Personal Information to their "partners." Have you been spammed since signing on?
    Last edited by neill; 10/30/2003 at 11:26 PM.
    Originally posted by neill
    Great find!! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for

Upon closer examination, the privacy policy looks a bit sketchy. They say that they have the right to give Personal Information to their "partners." Have you been spammed since signing on?
    I agree their privacy policy seems weird. I don't think I have received any spam (from them) since I signed on.
  8.    #8  
    I've found a comparable service with a better Privacy policy than ringcentral.com--no information is shared with any "Partners," and phone support was easily accessible. And the trial DOESN'T require a credit card. Look at www.ureach.com. It's been working great for me :-)
    I've found an even better solution, and it's FREE! The problem with ringcentral and ureach is that they notify your Treo with SMS. With Sprint, SMS is very unreliable (often taking hours!).

Your Treo is set up already to handle paging (at least with Sprint). The problem is, is that the phone rings when it is being called, and often you don't want to answer it if you only want to be paged. The solution? Use a SILENT ringer!

You can download a silent ringer here:
    http://www.gammon.com/ringtones/ (Thanks Patti!)

Then, from within Preferences -> Sound -> Phone -> Tones you can set the Unknown Caller Tone to Silent.

You can then set up your Voicemail to say "Press 2 to leave me a page"

People calling you will then be directed to your voicemail and instructed to leave you a page when they call your phone from a number that is not listed in your address book. You will not hear the ring, you will just hear the notification after they leave a page back number. This will likely be improved even more when PDAapps releases their AlertManager app for the 600.

If you want people who ARE in your address book to not ring your Treo 600 when calling you (and be able to leave you a page) you can add them to your Favorites (Phone app) and select the ringtone of Silent for that particular person (under the More section).
    Originally posted by wcarlson40
    I've found an even better solution, and it's FREE! The problem with ringcentral and ureach is that they notify your Treo with SMS. With Sprint, SMS is very unreliable (often taking hours!).
    Thanks for the suggestion wcarlson, but I think the point here is that many of us don't want to give our cellphone number to everyone for this purpose. Thus having a separate number that can be used as a pager number for your Treo 600 would be a great service, especially for medical professionals and etc. I'm gonna try out uReach and ringcentral and see what that service is like! I would love to finally ditch my old numeric pager!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Like many others, I carry a pager as well. Mine is a two-way pager with nationwide service from Skytel.

As a result of this thread, I thought I'd check to see if I could dump this thing somewhere. My company pays for the pager so there's no cost savings to me personally ... but I wouldn't mind losing the extra appendage on my belt.

I checked Skytel's website and found that I could forward my pages easily. It's already done and it works great!

I'm sure that this service doesn't exist with all providers, but it's worth looking in to.
    ~ShooterX~
    - President George W. Bush

I also dont generally give my clients my cell phone. What I do is have my office number forwarded to my cell after 4 rings, or if I am on the phone. Then my cell rings, and after 4 rings it goes to voice mail. Calls do not know that the voice mail is actually provided by my cell phone provider. I change my voice mail greeting daily so clients have an expectation when I might get back to them and I always give them the option to press 2 to page me. This keeps my life simple. I give out one number, and I only have one voice mail to check (and with Alert Manager) I only check it when my phone nags me. This also allows me to change my cell phone number without having to notify a zillion people.

Sprint also supports a TAPI 1.5 dial in interface for paging. I got rid of my pager when I got Sprint in 1999 with my StarTac. I'm all about one number, one device, and one voice mail. My life is very simple. I also only carry a single key in my pocket.
    Carl
  13.    #13  
    For the uninitiated, what is a TAPI dial-in interface?
    >What I do is have my office number forwarded to my cell after 4 >rings, or if I am on the phone.

What is the process for setting up a customized call forwarding like this? Who is your local phone carrier?

>Sprint also supports a TAPI 1.5 dial in interface for paging.

How do you utilize this feature?

Thanks for your help...I like the simplicity you speak of!