1.    #1  
    Twice I've triggered a hard reset, accidentally. Both times it was via the sync/charge connector.

First time, I had wedged some pocket fluff in the connector. I used a paperclip to fish it outn, and in the process triggered a hard reset.

Second time, I was disconnecting the Boxwave miniSync cable, and it triggered a hard reset. Addmitedly, I sort of yanked it out.

So be careful!

David
    Originally posted by dgilman
    I had wedged some pocket fluff in the connector.
    Um... don't do this?
    Speaking of this, also be careful when backing out of your driveway after using your Treo 600 as a tire block. When you roll over the Treo 600, you get an unexplained hard reset!
    Twice I've triggered a hard reset, accidentally. Both times it was via the sync/charge connector.

First time, I had wedged some pocket fluff in the connector. I used a paperclip to fish it outn, and in the process triggered a hard reset.

Second time, I was disconnecting the Boxwave miniSync cable, and it triggered a hard reset. Addmitedly, I sort of yanked it out.

So be careful!

David
    You and the guys who put duct tape and glue-backed foam on their brand new Treo 600's should get together

Sorry, couldn't resist...
  5.    #5  
    So it's reasonable to you guys that something in the sync/charger connector can trigger a hard reset?

I don't, you know, design many handheld computers, but I would imagine you'd want to make sure that pretty much nothing could *accidentally* make a loss of data happen.

But that's just me.

David

PS - I want to thank you all for your informative replies to this thread. I think it's this spirit of esprit de corps that we all feel on this forum that makes the community so valuable. I really don't know what I would do without such pertinent advice such as "don't this" and "When you roll over your Treo 600, you get an unexplained hard reset". Although I think that last one is incorrect - I would think the Treo wouldn't survive that experiment. Maybe treotim would confirm that for us?
    So it's reasonable to you guys that something in the sync/charger connector can trigger a hard reset?

Naw... it's just reasonable to us that you'd never stick a metal object into a slot in an expensive electronic device that is used for both data and power!

Relax... we're just having a bit of fun at your expense.
    Yeah, chances are you shorted out power and ground, thus dragging down the output of the internal power supply. If it got dragged down to much, the processor, along with the RAM where your apps are stored will power off or reset....Just dip the bottom end of your Treo in water next time....the fuzz should just float away
    I just thought I would show some sympathy. Almost the exact same thing happend to me. My treo battery ran down in the field so I used a set of aligator clips and jumped it off my car battery.

It did such a hard reset that smoke came out. I am still waiting for it to come back on.

I haven't tried dipping the bottom of it in water but I am pretty sure there wasn't any pocket fuzz in it. At least not after the smoke.

I did try wacking it on the desk a few times and holding a speaker magnet up to it, but so far it just seems to be stuck in off mode.

Any suggestions?

By the way, anyone else tried using mineral spirits to clean their screen? It really gets that nasty plastic coating off your touch screen!
    ..."When you roll over your Treo 600, you get an unexplained hard reset". Although I think that last one is incorrect - I would think the Treo wouldn't survive that experiment. Maybe treotim would confirm that for us?
    I just couldn't resist having a little fun. But in reality, I'm the kind of person who would stick a paperclip into the damn thing to get it to work. I get frustrated easily! So, thanks for the advice!