Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Funny how this came after the Vote for the merger completed.... Lets see what happends...

Dear Farzon Almaneih,

Thank you for contacting Handspring. We heard today that the new versions of the Treo 600 will be out tomorrow, Oct.29th. We apologize that we cannot verify that this information is correct, because they could possibly be out later this week. I believe that we will be sending an e-newsletter to let our customers know what is happening with our new developments. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you need further assistance please reply to this email.

Hello. I was emailed by T-mobile saying that Handspring would start selling the GSM Treo 600 starting Oct 27th. I tried checking your website and couldn't find it anywhere. Is it delayed? or should I just check the website again at the end of the day.

Thank You

Thank You,
    Summer
    Handspring Customer Care
    Sounds promising... I hope they're not teasing again
    USR Pilot 5000 >> Treo 600
    What the hell do they mean by saying they heard it was going to be available tommorow? Are they kidding? Why do I have this funny feeling that they are reading these sites for information. I am even more confused
    I mentioned this in another post, but my guess is that the GSM 600s are branded PalmOne instead of Handspring. Had to wait until the merger was finalized.

Anyone wanna bet?
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    i too was wondering when they will become Palms and not Handsprings...
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    pbyron's explanation makes as much (if not more) sense as anything else we have heard to this point.

Maybe tomorrow will be a new day for a new company and a promising new product!
    this is all well and good but why would they hold up a product just to put a new badge on it? If this were the case they would have delayed the Sprint model for the same reason.

I think it just really comes down to the Sprint agreement. I am sure that Handspring's agreement with Sprint gave Sprint a set amount of time they were able to be the only one providing the 600. Why would Sprint sign an agreement to be an exclusive provider if the exclusivity ran out in two weeks. That is not enough time to get people to switch to Sprint. So once again Sprint screwed me. I hope Sprints whole network falls down.
    Originally posted by glennd
    pbyron's explanation makes as much (if not more) sense as anything else we have heard to this point.
    Oh, c'mon -- my "UFO-flying monkeys" explanation was waaaaaay more reasonable. Or much more reasonable, depending on how you feel about the English language (if you can call it that).

Originally posted by plessdude
    I hope Sprints whole network falls down.
    Oh yeah? Well... I... I hope you fall down.

Sorry you feel screwed on that one, dude. If it makes you feel any better, your first Treo 600 will probably break and have to be replaced and then you'll get one with the groovy PalmOne logo on it. ...Or maybe I don't understand your complaint at all, in which case I hope you skin your knee when you fall down.
    HS CSRs, email or telephone, are useless unless there is current stock and you want to buy something, or ask questions about something they have hard information on. The vagueness of "heard" is hardly worth paying attention to.

I'd be surprised if the first GSMs are released with the Palm brand, because it would mean HS had 100% total confidence that the merger was going to happen. If the merger were held up or abandoned, and they had already manufactured Palm-branded GSMs, then...

I still think the reason for the delay is carrier related. Whatever the truth is, it doesn't ultimately matter, as long as the darn things are released... tomorrow (this week okay, too, since my 4th replacement 270 is still behaving itself).
    Oh yeah? Well... I... I hope you fall down.
    Oh ya...well I hope your 600 explodes!
    Does this mean we should be hitting palmOne.com instead of handspring's website tonight.....
    Oh ya...well I hope your 600 explodes!
    Pfft! That'll never happen. I mean... uh, right? ...Maybe I'll just start carrying my Treo in my bag instead of my pocket more often. (Damn you plessdude, you may have won this round...)
    Pfft! That'll never happen. I mean... uh, right? ...Maybe I'll just start carrying my Treo in my bag instead of my pocket more often. (Damn you plessdude, you may have won this round...)

There is always another day Snerdy! Always another day......
    I think it just really comes down to the Sprint agreement. I am sure that Handspring's agreement with Sprint gave Sprint a set amount of time they were able to be the only one providing the 600. Why would Sprint sign an agreement to be an exclusive provider if the exclusivity ran out in two weeks. That is not enough time to get people to switch to Sprint. So once again Sprint screwed me. I hope Sprints whole network falls down.
    After reading Handspring's 2002 10-K annual statement again today, I believe this indeed may be the case. Handspring devoted quite a bit of space in the 10-K detailing their development and relationship with Sprint, while the other carriers got a one-line statement. I believe that Handspring did give Sprint an exclusive for a time with the Treo 600 since Sprint was willing to invest the time and energy into the relationship with Handspring based upon their (perceived?) success with the Treo 300.

However, I don't believe it has anything to do with people switching to Sprint from other vendors - usually it's the plans, not the phones, for the reason that people switch.

Be that as it may, I believe indeed something may happen tomorrow - at least here's hoping it will.
    Calm down dudes, after all, it's only the coolest convergance PDA/phone/internet/email device ever. It's hardly worth all this frustration and elevated blood pressure
    I seem to remember reading an article a while back about Cingular and the Moto v70. They wanted an exclusive right to sell this phone in order to entice people to switch. Granted for most people being tied to their contract is enough to prevent this but a lot of early adopters would view the $200.00 cancelation fee a minor formality if it meant getting the coolest and latest phone.

Many companies do things like this. Look at the Ipod. Not selling a Windows verions for so long enticed people who had to be on the bleeding edge to switch to Apple.

In this case why else would Sprint want an exclusive on the phone if it did not mean they could gain new users by controling the product?
    Calm down dudes, after all, it's only the coolest convergance PDA/phone/internet/email device ever. It's hardly worth all this frustration and elevated blood pressure

or just the flavor of the month!
    Whew! That was a close one! You can always count on Silverado to defuse a tense situation!
    Originally posted by pbryon
    I mentioned this in another post, but my guess is that the GSM 600s are branded PalmOne instead of Handspring. Had to wait until the merger was finalized.

Anyone wanna bet?
    There hasn't been this much planning and speculation (especially for a product rollout) since Operation Overlord during the Normandy Invasion.
    No good deed goes unpunished

I think it just really comes down to the Sprint agreement. I am sure that Handspring's agreement with Sprint gave Sprint a set amount of time they were able to be the only one providing the 600
    The 29th also happens to coincide with the last day the Treo upgrade is available to the Sprint version. I could also easily believe they would start to offer the GSM version on the 30th.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast