Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I tend to agree the first day for a U.S. roll out of a GSM T600 may be 10/30 the day after the SPCS offer expires. I will be quite surprised if the first U.S. T600's are branded with the PalmOne logo. As others have posted this would have required a huge leap of faith for HS & Palm as mergers can fall apart for the smallest reasons.

Anyway, Sprint needs all the advantages in the marketplace it can get before WLNP...hence the delay for U.S. GSM.
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
    Originally posted by RMitch

The 29th also happens to coincide with the last day the Treo upgrade is available to the Sprint version. I could also easily believe they would start to offer the GSM version on the 30th.
    If that is true, than Donna Dubinsky knowingly lied to GSM customers when she assured everyone that unlocked GSM's would be available to US customers by the end of the month with carrier specific GSMs released before that.

If things were timed to be released no later than Oct 29, than she lied through her teeth.
    Originally posted by zipmitz

If that is true, than Donna Dubinsky knowingly lied to GSM customers when she assured everyone that unlocked GSM's would be available to US customers by the end of the month with carrier specific GSMs released before that.

If things were timed to be released no later than Oct 29, than she lied through her teeth.
    While you can certainly argue that it was implied, Ms. Dubinsky did not specifically state on the conference call that the carrier specific GSM Treo 600 would be out before the unlocked version. The only specific timing information given was that the unlocked version would be out by the end of the month. They're pushing it, but they still have a couple of days to pull that off. The exact wording from the conference call was:

Just yesterday, the Sprint Treo 600 became available to customers in the US at our Handspring.com website. Sprint soon will be announcing availability at their retail locations and in their business channels. On the GSM front, we expect the GSM Treo 600 to be available shortly on our Handspring.com website with support from AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile. In addition, we expect that these GSM network operators will be announcing different levels of direct support for the product over the coming months. Finally, we expect to offer a standardized, or non-carrier specific, version of our GSM product on our website by the end of the month.
    She said the GSM version would be available "shortly" and that the unlocked version would be available by the end of the month (approaching rapidly), but didn't say that either would be out before or after the other.
    Originally posted by pbryon
    I mentioned this in another post, but my guess is that the GSM 600s are branded PalmOne instead of Handspring. Had to wait until the merger was finalized.

Anyone wanna bet?
    i'll betcha- no way they could possibly rebrand that many units or roll that change out to solectron in time once they're already tooled up and running.
    Lets examine the Donna Dubinsky statement for fact and fiction. Lets see if she really did lie as some here assert.

On the GSM front, we expect the GSM Treo 600 to be available shortly on our Handspring.com website with support from AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile.
    If you want to start examining her statement then in fact the second half of that statement is already true. T-Mobile has already stated that as of Oct. 27 they support the Treo 600. Now all that needs to happen is that Handspring offer the sale of the Treo from their website.

The first part of the statement only states that at some point the Treo will be offered for sale on Handsprings webstite "soon". Soon has no time period definition other then not "later". As soon is a subjective time period it may be taken out of her context. Since the device has been in development then "soon" she may have been refering to could be a long while down the road when compared to the development life cycle of the product. I tend to doubt that. I think it refers to the before the end of the month statement at the end of that paragraph.

In addition, we expect that these GSM network operators will be announcing different levels of direct support for the product over the coming months.
    This says that not all carriers will offer the same service and support for the Treo. For example Cingular has already stated that when the Treo becomes availible they will support business clients first and only next year support consumers.

Finally, we expect to offer a standardized, or non-carrier specific, version of our GSM product on our website by the end of the month.
    As of yet this statement has not been proven false. Until Midnight PST October 31, 2003 this statement will not be proven untrue. Whether the timeline is met is another question that may or may prove the statement true or false.

As far as the assertion made that she states the Treo will be availible first from the carriers I do not see it.

Please indicate, using quotes from the statement, where she lied and I will happily support your position. As of right now I do not see it.
    Originally posted by sharding

While you can certainly argue that it was implied, Ms. Dubinsky did not specifically state on the conference call that the carrier specific GSM Treo 600 would be out before the unlocked version. The only specific timing information given was that the unlocked version would be out by the end of the month. They're pushing it, but they still have a couple of days to pull that off. The exact wording from the conference call was:

She said the GSM version would be available "shortly" and that the unlocked version would be available by the end of the month (approaching rapidly), but didn't say that either would be out before or after the other.
    I am soooooo weary of people defending the indefensible!!!!

But if we have to parse words....

Look at your own clip: "finally" releasing the unlocked GSM handsets clearly means that it is the final of the three rollout steps.

Meaning that the carrier supported versions should be available before the next and FINAL phase of the rollout.

Today is the 29th. That easily qualifies as the end of the month. Unless we now want to say that they meant the VERY end of the month....

Any way you slice it, they missed their mark. Period.
    Originally posted by Luzerman
    Lets examine the Donna Dubinsky statement for fact and fiction. Lets see if she really did lie as some here assert.

If you want to start examining her statement then in fact the second half of that statement is already true. T-Mobile has already stated that as of Oct. 27 they support the Treo 600. Now all that needs to happen is that Handspring offer the sale of the Treo from their website.

The first part of the statement only states that at some point the Treo will be offered for sale on Handsprings webstite "soon". Soon has no time period definition other then not "later". As soon is a subjective time period it may be taken out of her context. Since the device has been in development then "soon" she may have been refering to could be a long while down the road when compared to the development life cycle of the product. I tend to doubt that. I think it refers to the before the end of the month statement at the end of that paragraph.

This says that not all carriers will offer the same service and support for the Treo. For example Cingular has already stated that when the Treo becomes availible they will support business clients first and only next year support consumers.

As of yet this statement has not been proven false. Until Midnight PST October 31, 2003 this statement will not be proven untrue. Whether the timeline is met is another question that may or may prove the statement true or false.

As far as the assertion made that she states the Treo will be availible first from the carriers I do not see it.

Please indicate, using quotes from the statement, where she lied and I will happily support your position. As of right now I do not see it.
    Walking down the path, we can see a stand of pine trees. We can see some willows and some maples. We can look at them separately and see clusters of trees. And if we are adamant about denying that we are in the middle of a forest, that is what we will insist is in front of us. Forget about the fact that they are so close together that they crowd out the sun. Nope! No forest here! I don't see it! Just a bunch of pines, willows and maples....

What you've done is parse her comments and deal with each element separately instead of the whole stream of information as it was delivered - as a STREAM.

If you can't see the clear message that Dubinsky was saying that the T-Mo, Cingular and AT&T phones would be available for sale on the HS website BEFORE the release of unlocked GSM handsets AT THE END OF THE MONTH, it's because you don't want to....

The second half of her statement is true? I missed it then.. Because I don't see T-Mo have done anything to provide "support". Dubinksy was talking about support in the sense of selling and promotion a la Sprint and Orange. It is a huge stretch to say that just because you've seen rumors that the T-Mo system can now accomodate T600 traffic is not the support that she was addressing and is close to zero in "support". After all, if you have ANY unlocked GSM phone and a T-Mo sim card, T-Mo supports that too.

And forgive me, but I am not nearly as charitable as you are. The end of the month is midnite on 10/31? Only in the most technical sense. Even so, the fact is that the availability of unlocked GSM handsets was said to be the FINAL step of their rollout. And the sale on the HS site of T-Mo, Cingular and AT&T handsets was explicitly said to precede that.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    MY GOD, you people need to get laid.

I mean, endlessly bantering over semantics from a conference call to see if Donna D. was involved in some sort of massive Handspring conspiracy to lie to their devoted followers?

Go outside. Smell the fresh air. Take a walk or something. Sheesh.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    zipmitz, please quote form her statement the parts which indicate your assertions. I understand that you feel betrayed because the rumors seemed to indicate taht the GSM Treo 600 would be out before now but that does not mean she lied.

The second half of her statement is true? I missed it then.. Because I don't see T-Mo have done anything to provide "support". Dubinksy was talking about support in the sense of selling and promotion a la Sprint and Orange. It is a huge stretch to say that just because you've seen rumors that the T-Mo system can now accomodate T600 traffic is not the support that she was addressing and is close to zero in "support". After all, if you have ANY unlocked GSM phone and a T-Mo sim card, T-Mo supports that too.
    At no point does she state that the carriers will be offering the devices up for sale. Nowhere. Please, using quotes from her statement indicate where she says the devices will be up for sale. She merely stats that the devices will be supported. T-Mobile has stated that they are now supporting the device but you have to purchase it form Handspring.

Also you completely miss the fact that several GSM carriers outside the U.S. already sell the GSM version of the Treo 600. The second half of that statement has already been proven true.

If you can't see the clear message that Dubinsky was saying that the T-Mo, Cingular and AT&T phones would be available for sale on the HS website BEFORE the release of unlocked GSM handsets AT THE END OF THE MONTH, it's because you don't want to....
    Having a fair grasp of English, including business speak, I can say without a doubt that there is nothing in her message that says this. I'm not certain where you got this message but it was not from her statement.

And forgive me, but I am not nearly as charitable as you are. The end of the month is midnite on 10/31? Only in the most technical sense. Even so, the fact is that the availability of unlocked GSM handsets was said to be the FINAL step of their rollout. And the sale on the HS site of T-Mo, Cingular and AT&T handsets was explicitly said to precede that.
    "Finally" in this case is a statement ending word. It is not a timeline indication. She is giving a list of items that she expects to be accomplished. First ..., second ..., finally ... Look at the sentence just prior to it. If it was a we expect to accomplish things in a specific order statement then you can expect the release to be months away. The prior sentence specifically mentions months as a timeline. If you wish to take her list of future accomplishments as a first we will do this, then we will do this, etc. statement then you must mean that the final sentence will come after all carriers provide different levels of support months down the road.

I understand your pain at not having a Treo 600 but that does not mean someone lied to you about when you would get it.
    Some of you may want to look up the definition of "expect" as used in the provided quote.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    GEEK FIGHT!!!
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    Funny how this came after the Vote for the merger completed.... Lets see what happends...

Dear Farzon Almaneih,

Thank you for contacting Handspring. We heard today that the new versions of the Treo 600 will be out tomorrow, Oct.29th. We apologize that we cannot verify that this information is correct, because they could possibly be out later this week. I believe that we will be sending an e-newsletter to let our customers know what is happening with our new developments. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you need further assistance please reply to this email.

Hello. I was emailed by T-mobile saying that Handspring would start selling the GSM Treo 600 starting Oct 27th. I tried checking your website and couldn't find it anywhere. Is it delayed? or should I just check the website again at the end of the day.

Thank You

Thank You,
    Summer
    Handspring Customer Care
    I cannot tell who is the troll here. However, it amazes me that I am the 31st person to respond to this post and the first to point out that it does not say anything.
    Those emails frequently mention their so-called newsletter. You think they could send one sometime before the end of the year and give us just the tiniest launch (or anything) update?

Hey, WeeBit, anything you can add?
    Originally posted by elysian9
    Those emails frequently mention their so-called newsletter. You think they could send one sometime before the end of the year and give us just the tiniest launch (or anything) update?

Hey, WeeBit, anything you can add?
    Poor WeeBit. They have really worked him over.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12