Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    An update. I believe you do need to have the deluxe version (that is a version registered with a deluxe registration key) to use the streaming capability. I upgraded to deluxe with $9.95, received my deluxe key the next day, and applied it to the beta version. I'm now streaming.

So now let's talk content: The "open" command seems to only work with a ".pls" URL:
    e.g. for you folk music fans I successfully streamed
    radio.grassyhill.org/listen.pls by directly going to www.grassyhill.org, finding the URL and entering it by hand with the open command in ptunes.

But how does one go to the shoutcast site, find something you like and find a corresponding ".pls" URL? My winamp bookmarks are IP/port number pairs like http://128.125.204.54:2345 but this type of syntax doesn't work.

Thanks for any pointers.
    Another update: Figured out how to get playable entities from shoutcast:
    1. Right click on one of the "tune in" icons.
    2. Select "save target as" and save the link in a file on your pc.
    3. In the file find the ip address and port number. e.g.
    " 204.45.56.23:8000 "
    4. These are the numbers you use w/ the open command when asked for a URL.
    5. Stream audio.

I still have to figure out how to annotate the URLs with a string so you can see what's what in your URL list. Right now mine looks like a bunch of ip/ports and it's hard to remember which one is which.
    It's still a little unclear to me what the correct (and cheapest) procedure would be to get the PocketTunes Beta.

Am I right in thinking that if I receive my new Treo I first contact Handspring for the free version registration info, then I go to the Beta donload link and just download the update? I'm getting the impression that I don't necessarily have to pay the $9.95 upgrade.
    I love it! www.di.fim anywhere Woo Woooooo

<dances around the room>
    Last edited by nmotion; 10/31/2003 at 04:05 PM.
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    Originally posted by netfreedom
    It's still a little unclear to me what the correct (and cheapest) procedure would be to get the PocketTunes Beta.

Am I right in thinking that if I receive my new Treo I first contact Handspring for the free version registration info, then I go to the Beta donload link and just download the update? I'm getting the impression that I don't necessarily have to pay the $9.95 upgrade.
    Go get your free Standard version with HS & install. When you hit the "about" button, you'll see your registration code. This code you'll need to buy the upgrade. Once you do that & pay 9.95, they will send you a second code. Download & install the Beta version & register it with the second code. If you register it with the first code, it will only give you 15 days. The second code will give you all the features you want.
    You get the free Standard Version of Ptune by registering
    your T600. a Registration code will come in your email in
    a few minutes.

Then you must buy the Deluxe Version for $9.00
    Then you will receive a new 2nd registration code in
    your email.

Download the Beta Version 2.1b3, unzip,
    install/sync with your p600.

From Ptunes.. Menu, Actions,
    OPEN (Or just) " /O".

In the upper Right hand corner you will
    have a drop down Arrow from
    which you can select ShoutCast.

Once ShoutCast is selected chose NEW and
    enter a URL i.e.
    http://www.woxy.com/stream/24k.pls

click o.k. and play.

Hope this helps.
    Can some explain just how we get radio listings.
    Its not like real audio where you already have a listing of radio stations.

On the Shoutcase web site, I can't figure out how to get stations.
    As soon as you get onto Shoutwave's main site, there is a toolbar on the right with choices of bandwidth (if you select 28.8 you'll be pretty safe, although I'm right now listening to a 56kbps station with no problems), as well as genres...etc. You can select from there.

I had inconsistent luck with typing URL's, though. I downloaded the playlists, opened them with Notepad, and entered the IP:Port numbers and it worked like a charm.
    Last edited by Bujin; 11/02/2003 at 12:06 AM.
    I tried your method of opening to note pad and all I see is, "try again tomorrow". Someone have a list of port #'s for some jazz?
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    When you go to Shoutcast, right-click on the "Tune in" button, and "Save as". It'll save under the name "shoutcast-playlist". Then open with Notepad.

I've never had the problem you described. Hope the above helps!
    Easy way to add stations to playlist.

All the shoutcast URLS are in this format:
    http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=xxxx&file=filename.pls

where xxxx is a number. Type this URL in the memo pad on your phone, you only need to do this once. Now any time you go to shoutcast put your mouse on the "Tune in" button, look at the URL and note the number in the URL. Paste the URL from your memo pad into pocket tunes and just change xxxx to the number.
    Or just download the new beta. Clicking on a link in Blazer now adds the stream to pocket tunes playlist

http://www.pocket-tunes.com/pockettu...Tunes2.1b4.zip
    Yep, the new beta has fixed all my problems. Browse through shoutcast, jump to what you want, keep your bookmarks, ...

My only problem left is to figure out how to access something I like from www.live365.com. I suspect it's not possible with this version of ptunes. Anyone have any more informed knowledge on this?
    Love mt 600! Read about the beta on this board from my phones, DLed the Beta version, upgraded to deluxe and started listin to streams... all from the Treo! So much fun aint it!?
    Love mt 600! Read about the beta on this board from my phones, DLed the Beta version, upgraded to deluxe and started listin to streams... all from the Treo! So much fun aint it!?
    All I can say is WOW...With new beta, I can finally stream the audio that y'all have been raving about. I am listening to a jazz station out of San Francisco. My only regret is that I have yet to be able to stream an old R&B or funk station. Also, it is balking a bit on this 48 bitrate feed.
    I have had inconsistent luck with buffering above 24kps; what speed are folks listening at?
    It seems to be very reliable at 24kps, but beyond that a bit iffy imo. By the way, Shoutcast is great, but sure would like to have some alternatives in hopes of finding more in my musical genere.
    I have been listening to radio margaritaville at 40 kbs with great success.

radiomargaritaville.com and select the hispeed mp3 stream.
    Curious what kind of battery life you guys are getting while streaming...I am still wondering if my battery is not up to par.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast