1.    #1  
    Hi There,

I am new to Palm in general and the Treo 600 in particular. So far I like it a lot.

I was able to install AOL's AIM and it works well. AOL in the US wants $20 to download it but AOL in the UK has it for free. Go figure...

ICQ has a version for Palm but I was not able to connect. Did anyone have better luck?

What about Yahoo Messenger? Is there a Palm version?

Thanks,
    Izzy
    Try Verichat for the T600....

www.pdaapps.com

For $20 ..you can have all three AOL, YAHOO, and MSN....unlimited!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    The free version you got from the UK is an older version that will cause you problems. You want versin 1.2 for Palm OS 3.52 and above.

Ken
    Try Verichat for the T600....
    My PC multi-IM application (Trillian) polls the servers every so often. I understand GPRS is "always" on, kind of like ADSL/Cable Modem, but in the UK we are charged for the amount of data downloaded, not the connection. Therefore there will be a charge for everytime the app "polls" the servers. Is this correct?

oBoy!
    Originally posted by kschoenberg
    The free version you got from the UK is an older version that will cause you problems. You want versin 1.2 for Palm OS 3.52 and above.

Ken
    I have version 1.1 (Build 5) and don't really have any serious problems with it. I downloaded it free off AOL's web site a long long time ago when it was a free download.

What are the differences between mine and version 1.2?

Thanks
    Functionally there don't appear to be any differences, other than you won't get that nasty reset error every so often. The error is sporadic, but well documented.

As for Verichat, both it and the other chat proxy don't allow you to have your AIM preference set to only allow people on your buddy list to send you IMs. Without this setting I get deluged as my screen names are among the first on AOL (1987) and are pretty simple (sportsfan, etc.).

So, without being able to utilize that feature both are a no go for me.

...ken
    I have AIM 1.1 build 5 too. works fine on Treo 600 except no alerts and the thing I hate is the text in send window stays after you send it. This means you have to select the text using MENU - s and backspace it before typing more.
    Originally posted by AshCraft
    I have AIM 1.1 build 5 too. works fine on Treo 600 except no alerts and the thing I hate is the text in send window stays after you send it. This means you have to select the text using MENU - s and backspace it before typing more.
    Just a word of caution that may be outdated, but AIM version 1.1 used to cause serious crashes on the T300. This is well known among long time T300 users. Worse yet, AIM would appear to be working fine, but when the right set of conditions occur (e.g., phone call received while using AIM), the T300 would freeze and only a hard reset would restore your Treo. I don't know if anyone nailed down the exact right set of conditions that would cause this to occur.

This may be different using the T600 and OS5, but after going through this nightmare, I'll take my chances elsewhere!
    Hi, does your version of IM work flawlessly? I had the older versions for free for the Treo 300, but they would fatal crash my phone all the time, and it wasn't that good. Not full functionality. Do you think I could just buy the app from you, you can just send it through a server or email, you could sell it to people for like $10 or $5? I wouldn't pay $20 for IM, especially if you can't multitask, and you cant have to apps open at the same time like a real computer, and the real computer, it is free, and you have full functionality.

I say you set up a server and let people download it?
    I noticed if while using AIM if I get a text message my treo will crash. That's the only time I've seen a problem. I have a feeling people that see worse have various hacks installed that cause the problem, not AIM. I've used AIM and my treo 300 for over a year and it has never caused a hard crash.

I could be wrong, just what I've seen.
    Hi, does your version of IM work flawlessly? I had the older versions for free for the Treo 300, but they would fatal crash my phone all the time, and it wasn't that good. Not full functionality. Do you think I could just buy the app from you, you can just send it through a server or email, you could sell it to people for like $10 or $5? I wouldn't pay $20 for IM, especially if you can't multitask, and you cant have to apps open at the same time like a real computer, and the real computer, it is free, and you have full functionality.

I say you set up a server and let people download it?
  12.    #12  
    is available on
    http://www.aol.co.uk/aim/palm/

Thanks