Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Just a few words about delays:

Its nothing uncommon GSM units are delayed several times here in Europe e.g.. So I had to wait many times the last few years for a special GSM phone became available (last time P800, delayed 3 or 4 times due to software/hardware conflicts). I am not worried any longer, its just "normal". Don´t ask me for the reasons, just stay tuned and relaxed. Sure, everybody wants to have the Treo 600 asap ...

Its nothing special either, phones often are first available over Carriers and not as unlocked versions in big retail stores.

I am afraid there is nothing wrong with the GSM Treo 600, its just the normal way. It seems there is a lack of availibility, HS has not enough money to produce high volumes at once. Do they have to fullfill contracts? Perhaps they are not allowed to ship it at the same time to different carriers? Who knows?

BTW, I GOT MY SILVER TREO 600 (UNLOCKED, UNBRANDED) TODAY from Treostore Italy.
    RTFM
    how much did you pay for it?

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Originally posted by knoppi
    Just a few words about delays:

Its nothing uncommon GSM units are delayed several times here in Europe e.g.. So I had to wait many times the last few years for a special GSM phone became available (last time P800, delayed 3 or 4 times due to software/hardware conflicts). I am not worried any longer, its just "normal". Don´t ask me for the reasons, just stay tuned and relaxed. Sure, everybody wants to have the Treo 600 asap ...

Its nothing special either, phones often are first available over Carriers and not as unlocked versions in big retail stores.

I am afraid there is nothing wrong with the GSM Treo 600, its just the normal way. It seems there is a lack of availibility, HS has not enough money to produce high volumes at once. Do they have to fullfill contracts? Perhaps they are not allowed to ship it at the same time to different carriers? Who knows?

BTW, I GOT MY SILVER TREO 600 (UNLOCKED, UNBRANDED) TODAY from Treostore Italy.
    The problem is not that there are delays.

Heavens knows, we are all human and things happen. When they do, you just roll with the punches.

The real issue to me is how when things happen we react to them.

In this case, Handspring gets very low grades. The problem as I see it is that the company LIES. They say, no problems, no changes, no delays.

That kind of thing is just salt in the wound of an eager early adopter - the people who HS acknowledges are important to the launch of new products because they love the technology, they show it off and it is the best kind of advertising you can hope for.

Handspring told American GSM customers that they could expect carrier specific GSM handsets "shortly" after the release of the Sprint model in the first week of October and in advance of the "end of the month" when unlocked GSM models would be available.

As it stands, it is the 28th of October and that officially qualifies as "the end of the month" which means that the carrier specific release date that the CHAIRMAN of the company announced in a public conference call has been officially missed.

Yet when you talk to HS, they tell you that there is no slippage in their release date and that the carrier specific handsets will be available within the next two weeks - which is, last I checked NOVEMBER.

So the company LIES and that is what gets people upset.
    That's the most accurate statement yet.
    Originally posted by zipmitz

Heavens knows, we are all human and things happen. When they do, you just roll with the punches.

In this case, Handspring gets very low grades. The problem as I see it is that the company LIES. They say, no problems, no changes, no delays.

That kind of thing is just salt in the wound of an eager early adopter - the people who HS acknowledges are important to the launch of new products because they love the technology, they show it off and it is the best kind of advertising you can hope for.

Handspring told American GSM customers that they could expect carrier specific GSM handsets "shortly" after the release of the Sprint model in the first week of October and in advance of the "end of the month" when unlocked GSM models would be available.

As it stands, it is the 28th of October and that officially qualifies as "the end of the month" which means that the carrier specific release date that the CHAIRMAN of the company announced in a public conference call has been officially missed.

Yet when you talk to HS, they tell you that there is no slippage in their release date and that the carrier specific handsets will be available within the next two weeks - which is, last I checked NOVEMBER.

This is exactly the truth. There is no benifit to keeping customers in the dark.
    they are being sold in Singapore and now into Jakarta. If there are Treo 600s here, they should be available in the USA. For whatever reason, Handspring has chosen not to sell them in teh USA yet.

The most logical reason is that Handspring promised the carriers that they could sell locked ones for two weeks or so before the unlocked (read NORMAL) ones would be on the market. I hope the deal they made with the carriers was worth the bad will they are generating with their loyal geeks.
    Since when do we start selling our leading edge products in SE Asia and Eruope before the US? This does not make sense.
    Or maybe sprint gave HS some sort of huge spiff for each sprint phone sold?

Its all a mistery.
    I have another theory:

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/tech.../10122654.html

Maybe HS was afraid to release any information on anything due to this vote today. Well, hopefully this means we can finally get some feedback now.
    Since when do we start selling our leading edge products in SE Asia and Eruope before the US? This does not make sense.
    In the phone world it happens all the time. The US is like 1-2 years behind Asia and Europe.

I disagree with this statement. Handspring has had the device ready to go for a while. Its likely the carriers fault that the Treo has not been released yet. Handspring can't come out and say its T-mob or Cingular screwing everything up because that would ruin the relationship. Carriers are touchy and do the dumbest things all the time.

Shortyly has no specific time line. If HS really does start selling the Treo 600 tomorrow then they will have met the only stated promise with a timeline they have given.

T-Mobile was the one that said Oct. 27 Handspring was going to start selling the device. T-Mobile was incorrect not Handspring.

Maybe its because I've been around too many tech item rollouts but I see no issues with this one. I have seen no broken promises as of yet nor have I seen anything handled inappropriately. Now if we see Handspring start putting down its partners in the Treo rollout or assigning blame then HS will have handled things badly.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Personally I think the only problem here is that everyone wants this thing so bad. This type of uncertainty happens all the time with phone releases, but no one is usually paying attention.

This time the hype around this thing has thousands of uber-geeks (me included) jonsing for this device like a crack hor who’s connection just got thrown in the clink. And like that crack hor, we’ll do just about anything to get our hands on what we “need”. Now rather than admitting we have a problem, we get mad at our connection for not being able to come through with the goods.

So to me as frustrating as it is and as much as I really want my fix, Handspring is just going through the motions of releasing another product and doing business. The only thing unreasonable has been our expectations based the hope that things would happen sooner rather than later. In reality though, HS has never really promised to deliver by any certain date and I can’t possibly imagine why anyone should be so wound up about it.

Even if they did promise a specific date, things happen all the time that get in the way of releases. I really think the only thing going on here is that people just really, really want to get their hands on the 600 and not that there is some big conspiracy to screw over GSM users or some Watergate style cover up.
    Last edited by willp2; 10/28/2003 at 11:27 AM.
    As far as I know, the GSM release has not been delayed because there never was a date set!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu
    As far as I know, the GSM release has not been delayed because there never was a date set!
    I agree that they have been very careful not to say anything. However, they have clearly treated American GSM customers, particularly loyal HS customers, very shabbily. They have released the CDMA phone; they have released the GSM phones in both Europe and Asia. Under the circumstances, silence adds insult to injury.
    Originally posted by miradu
    It's certainly undestandable that you would see things the company way - after all, having good relations with HS, or PalmOne is important to your business.

But let's not be silly here. Dubinsky made a very clear statement during her conference call that said that the unlocked GSMs would be out by the end of the month and the carrier specific GSMs would be out before that.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Who was on Dubinsky's conference call- Handspring employees, or was the general public privy to the call? If it was an internal call, then there was no announcement of a release date made.
    Originally posted by iJITSU
    Who was on Dubinsky's conference call- Handspring employees, or was the general public privy to the call? If it was an internal call, then there was no announcement of a release date made.
    It was a call open to the general public and posted on their official website.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Then that's a public announcement. Whatever the case, I hope it IS tomorrow (or before month's end)
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    I have another theory:

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/tech.../10122654.html

Maybe HS was afraid to release any information on anything due to this vote today. Well, hopefully this means we can finally get some feedback now.
    If HAND shareholders get 0.09 shares of PALM for each HAND share, wouldn't that value HAND = 0.09 x PALM = 0.09 x $27.24 = $2.45.
    But today HAND closed at $1.60.
    Does this mean that you could have made a risk-free profit by buying HAND shares and waiting to be given the PALM shares?