Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Though I've recently succumbed to the dark side, I'm generally of the opinion that cel phones should not play music because they do it quite badly. Just for fun, I spent a few minutes tonight creating some ringtones that are more ringer-like rather than songs. You can find them at:

http://www.gammon.com/ringtones/

The page is completely minimal; it's quite easy to browse to it with your 600 and start downloading. Each file is well under 1K.

This is my first attempt at creating ringtones, but it was fun. Tell me which ones you like and why, and I'll probably create a bunch more over the next few weeks. I'd also be happy to be a repository if other people want to create some.
    Love them! Keep them coming. Number 1 is the most normal sounding ringer so far. Have you taken them outside in a loud place to try them out? How is the volume?
    I've posted this before in a couple of threads. I put up some "Normal" ringtones that are more cell phone like.
    http://www.thinkaccess.net/ringtones/
    These are awesome! Keep up the good work!
    I will test these outside today to see if they can be heard above street noise. I was using the "Loud Phone" but it is sooooo abrasive! These new ones sound much nicer and will be perfect if they are loud enough.
    Very nice Patti,

Question, are they configured to work in a loop so they play more than one time?

Thanks,

-Still Waiting in Que Treo Purchaser
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Patti - you rock!! Score one for the girls!

My favorite is definitely #1 for the composition and the volume level. #2 and #3 seem too soft to get my attention. #4 and #5 are also excellent in composition and volume level!!!

Thanks also for the simple, quick-loading page!!

Just curious - how do you do this? What software, etc? (If you are willing to reveal your secrets ).

-Yvonne
    Somebody else posted a link to this Siemens S55 site that has a number of normal ringtones.

Of course you can only use the Midi files (.mid), the .mmf don't work on a Treo.

Funny: though I was looking for normal ringtones, I found some of the "song" ringtones (or ringtunes if you like) to be the best I've found on the net. For the ringtunes you need to scroll all the way down to the end of the page.
    THANK YOU Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you. These are great. I've been looking for over a year for this kind of thing.
  10.    #10  
    The ringtones were actually easy to create. All I did was kick open a MIDI editor and compose something. Each ringtone is something like one bar of music with a couple of rests at the end to provide a reasonable pause between loops. The phone loops them automatically.

I've made no changes in the volume of any of them-- they're all set to the editor's default. The results, though, are that the phone plays some of them much more loudly than others. What this tells me is that the some instruments wind up being louder than others.

Patti_1 is incredibly simple-- it's a celesta playing "CDEDCDED" two octaves above middle C, and a xylophone playing "CDCDCDCD" once octave below middle C. I agree that it's the best of the bunch.

I'll probably put up a dozen more late tonight, since it's not hard to create them.
  11.    #11  
    P.S. I just looked at the webserver logs. Wow! The files in the directory have gotten 1562 hits in less than ten hours.
    Originally posted by Mol
    Somebody else posted a link to this Siemens S55 site that has a number of normal ringtones.

Of course you can only use the Midi files (.mid), the .mmf don't work on a Treo.
    This is an excellent resource for .MID tunes, but how do I get these loaded onto my T600? I saved the .MID files to my desktop, but how do I transfer them to the Treo and enable them as ring tones?

Thanks in advance.
    Just point your browser on your Treo to any of the sites mentioned in this thread and you can download directly onto your Treo 600. very cool!
    Originally posted by mjolnir2k

This is an excellent resource for .MID tunes, but how do I get these loaded onto my T600? I saved the .MID files to my desktop, but how do I transfer them to the Treo and enable them as ring tones?

Thanks in advance.
    Alternatively you can beam them using infrared. If your PC infrared app supports it (the default XP Wireless Link for example) then you can beam multiple files in a one go, then click OK for each .mid on the Treo and they're automatically installed.

My preferred way because a) it allows me to listen to the tune before deciding to install it and b) here in Europe we don't have unlimited data plans ....
  15.    #15  
    I tossed a few more out there this evening, and will continue to add more over time. I'm glad to see that they're popular!
    Nice job PattiB and thanks for sharing!

Nick
    thank you so much patti for making all these great ringers available! i especially love #1 and #9.

by the way, hi neighbor i'm from across the bridge in sf. am sick of this heatwave, aren't you? where's the foggg!
  18.    #18  
    I work in San Francisco, on the 4th floor... with no air conditioning. I'm not enjoying the weather much.

Were the ringtones loud enough? I'm really having fun creating them. I'm also enjoying watching the webserver logs... the new ones (#6--9) got 60 hits each in the space of about two and a half hours.

I just discovered that #7 sounds crappy on my phone at full volume. Sigh.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!
    Can someone post a custom ringtone which sounds like the default one on most Nokia phones.
    It's called "Bee", I think.
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by rudychow
    Can someone post a custom ringtone which sounds like the default one on most Nokia phones.
    It's called "Bee", I think.
    You mean that horrible thirteen-note monstrosity?

It's actually a small section of a song called Gran Vals by a Spanish guitarist and composer named Francisco Tarrega. It's quite a beautiful song-- the whole thing as a midi file is at http://www.classicalguitarmidi.com/T..._Gran_Vals.mid

If you really want it, I can create it quite easily. The only problem will be figuring out how to make a raspberry sound at the end... :-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast