1.    #1  
    1. uvisor.c needs a 1-line patch. It's been submitted to the dev team. With this, the Treo 600 works fine, unlike the 300.
    1. wmodem (from notifymail.com) works great with NetBSD. Dial up, PPP, whatever.
    2. Sync is new PalmOS 5.2 sync, so you *cannot* use coldsync or other older sync software; it's mildly incompatible, and you need a newer package. I don't know of any free software ones, or ones that will run on free OS's.
    3. Inexplicably, and in a demonstration of true incompetence, there is no "backup to SD" button. My Zaurus has this. My Handera had this. Everything I've ever seen with expansion cards EXCEPT the Treo 600 has this. This isn't something where a third-party package can help much; the entire point is to have a backup program IN ROM so that, when the machine loses everything, you can restore it even if the desktop is 2500 miles away.

I can't figure out why they didn't do a 320x320 screen. 160x160 is cramped, and a lot of apps don't work well in it. It's certainly harder to read than the high-res screens.

I preferred the 300's design, at least in terms of providing a flip-up screen cover; I expect the screen to get destroyed fairly quickly, and I'm very annoyed with this design. We'll see how it works in practice.

Keyboard is okay, although I actually *liked* graffiti.

On the whole, I'm mildly disappointed with it - but it's the only phone I can get that will do what I want, which is work well as a modem with NetBSD in some reasonably stable fashion. I don't mind having a PalmOS machine around to play with, either.
    well you can install apps from e-mail and web right? Can't you just send your apps to yourself via e-mail or create a website where you can log into and get your data that way? This would seem to beat the back-up to SD, because you don't even need the SD.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    well you can install apps from e-mail and web right? Can't you just send your apps to yourself via e-mail or create a website where you can log into and get your data that way? This would seem to beat the back-up to SD, because you don't even need the SD.
    I could in theory, but it's a big nightmare. On every other PDA I've ever owned, I've used backup software. Every day or two, I hit the "backup" button and POOF, I have a complete backup. All apps. All data. And I can have as many backups as I want, all on SD cards, with me all the time. I can make a backup just before going on a trip, and make another when I leave that I take with me in case the PDA crashes while I'm out.

Multiple, fast, convenient backups are a GREAT feature.
    can you please explain what NetBSD is? Unix on palm??

thanx

-n
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by wolfbeast
    can you please explain what NetBSD is? Unix on palm??

thanx

-n
    NetBSD is a free Unix-like OS. I don't think it runs on palm, but it runs on nearly everything else, from embedded systems to gigantic Sun workstations. I use it as my primary desktop OS. So, my laptop is neither Windows nor Mac; it's Unix, specifically NetBSD. And the Treo 600 works with it, unlike the Treo 300.
    Originally posted by seebs
    I can't figure out why they didn't do a 320x320 screen.
    Well, heck -- seebs can't even figure this one out! Will the mystery ever be solved?

Annnnnnyway: it's good to hear that the Treo 600 can synch with NetBSD. Thanks.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by snerdy

Well, heck -- seebs can't even figure this one out! Will the mystery ever be solved?

Annnnnnyway: it's good to hear that the Treo 600 can synch with NetBSD. Thanks.
    Well, it can connect to it. None of my sync software works; given the dire warnings I've seen about trying to use an old version of Palm Desktop, I'm assuming that PalmOS 5.2 has some change in the sync protocol itself.