Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Been playing with my phone for about six hours and here are the top 10 things I have noticed right off the bat:

1.) WOW!!!! It's so small!!!
    2.) Perfect fit in hand and pocket
    3.) Display is awesome.
    4.) Vibra-alert is a joke. Hardly can feel it unless it is in my hand.
    5.) Sound quality is awesome
    6.) Speakerphone is awesome
    7.) Camera is a joke (but we all knew that)
    8.) Uncomfortable on ear when talking. Solved problem by putting piece of sticky-back craft foam from Wal-mart on earpiece
    9.) Reception is good to great in our area, even in buildings.
    10.) Keyboard is going to take some practice getting used to.

All-in-all, I suppose I'm happy.
    I did not ask for perfection and I knew pretty much what I was getting from reading all of the posts on this forum.
    Hahaha... You got yourself a $600 gadget and you messed it up within 6 hours by sticking a piece of sticky-back craft foam from Wal-mart on the earpiece.

No... really... I need to see that. Please post picture.

SOOOOO FUNNY !!!
    I have to say that the Treo 600 is much better than the sony ericsson P900. WHY ?

1) The keyboard is very easy to use even with one hand.
    typing is very easy after a couple of days of practice.
    2) The camera is even better than the P900. in day light i got pictures matching the clarity of a 1.2mp camera.
    3) symbian OS is still young. Palm Os is very well grown up, and you can even program things yourself on it.
    4) The ability to transfer information from and to any application is very nice and helpful.
    5) Able to use it as an alarm clock, email and with attachements, web browser, IM universal messenger, mp3 player, PHONE, speakerphone, SMS, games and fun, address book, schedules, WIRELESS MODEM (when you really have to ) . all of this and more , while it feels and looks like a regular cell phone !! come on !
    the P900 feels and looks like a one of those new touch screen remote controls and it has an internal antenna ( say goodbye to week signals).

I have never had a treo before and as soon as i saw the treo 600 on this website (VERY GOOD SOURCE OF PROTEIN) in august , i said to myself i have to have it ! and i did , well i told myself it might have a problem , if it is hardware i will simply replace it within the 14 days, and if it is software, all i have to do is look for a work around until there is a patch or update.

Anyone how is thinking about getting this little gem , go go go.
    i have an Ipaq , i tried and tried to convince myself to get a jacket and a wireless card , it did not sink in at all, i could not feel that i am connected on it ! with the treo i feel everything is in my hands or in my pocket , just reach for it and one click and your there.

It is like a love story with a device, all i can say i love it.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    So unix-master, please tell us how you use your Treo 600 as a true WIRELESS MODEM...wow.

No, I'm not talking about using a USB cord with PDANet...I'm talking a "wireless" modem. Did you know that you can use the P900 as a TRUE wireless modem with your laptop via IR or Bluetooth?

I'm not here to defend the P900, but the only point that you can make that puts the Treo 600 on top of a P900 is the keyboard and the amount of Palm apps available...that's it.

The P900 has Bluetooth, multi-tasking, Opera browser, high res screen, etc. It's pretty darn good in of itself as a phone, as well.

Do you have a P900 to compare the Treo with? It's not available anywhere that I'm aware of...outside of the Middle East as of today, possibly.
    Originally posted by unix-master
    I have to say that the Treo 600 is much better than the sony ericsson P900. WHY ?

1) The keyboard is very easy to use even with one hand.
    typing is very easy after a couple of days of practice.
    2) The camera is even better than the P900. in day light i got pictures matching the clarity of a 1.2mp camera.
    3) symbian OS is still young. Palm Os is very well grown up, and you can even program things yourself on it.
    4) The ability to transfer information from and to any application is very nice and helpful.
    5) Able to use it as an alarm clock, email and with attachements, web browser, IM universal messenger, mp3 player, PHONE, speakerphone, SMS, games and fun, address book, schedules, WIRELESS MODEM (when you really have to ) . all of this and more , while it feels and looks like a regular cell phone !! come on !
    the P900 feels and looks like a one of those new touch screen remote controls and it has an internal antenna ( say goodbye to week signals).
    yeah not to beat this thing to death, but being one of the people on the board who actually owns and uses a p800 i have to step up in its defense- i wont beat everyone to death, but suffice it to say the thumboard is the only thing going for the treo that gives it a chance against the p800/900- certainly not the display as this guy mentions, and let me just say, the p900/800 does everything in point 5, and you're able to flash the entire phone firmware OVER THE AIR, which is something new for the p900 and pretty cool if you ask me...

oh- and did i mention it weighs less? and is the same size?

never had a problem getting and holding a signal with mine, and in case nobody has noticed, not too many people are including huge antenna's on their handsets circa 1998...

of course, lastly, according to sales figures, i guess they've sold almost a million p800's, and its not even released in the US, which makes it a definitive success compared to the treo line.

i wont go into opera, bluetooth, display, camera, etc...
    there is an application that you can use the treo 600 as an wireless modem via IR.

bluetooth will come to PalmOS 5 very soon and you will have all the options you want in it.

the P900 is too expensive for what it offers which is what is currently is available in the treo 600.

when you have a device that needs a major attachement like a keyboard for example then it is incomplete ( i am not trying to start a debate) from what i see in the treo 600 , it is a complete device that you can use alone and without any big packbacks to carry around with.

when you talk about bluetooth , that means you are going to connect with another device and that other device has to have bluetooth and that means more expense. cost effective the treo wins.

if you need to connect with a laptop, there is very cheap USB cables sold on Ebay.

The treo 600 is more productive than anything else i had in a device.

i will never ever again put trust on a touchscreen only device, because it is not very reliable as a keyboard that is integrated in the device. Even Very Very large monitors that have the ability of touch screen input are not 100% accurate, talk about a small device that you want to use with one hand for a small function you need to access without the hassle of being very alert of what your touching on the screen while stoping everything else you are doing at that moment.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I like the P900 and the Treo 600. They both have strengths and flaws just like all other things. I do prefer the idea of a keyboard and the 5way for navigaton. But of course the screen of the 900 is very nice. Combine the best of both and you'd have a very nice machine. It'll come eventually.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    So why don't THEY come up with a p900 thumboard as an alternative?
    good points by unix- but one of the major points of bluetooth is the wireless headset application- once you try dialing someones number using voice dialing (which is a huge thing the treo is lacking) from ten feet away, its pretty tough to beat...

also, using third party drivers not natively supported and taking up your only expansion slot kinda blows...no guarantee that the sdio card will support the headset profile either...

also, the p800/p900 have always had five way navigation, its nothing new, along with the blackberry, they both feature seamless jog dial integration, which i feel in many ways is better for scrolling applications like phone books...
    The Treo 600 is so cool. Right now I am writing this from a hospital room on my Treo 600. I am O.K. but I am visiting a family member. Once the Treo 600 gets 480x320 and Bluetooth it will be incredibe. Also I think they should hide the antenna.

Super Cool!!!
    Jake
    Originally posted by BNelson
    So unix-master, please tell us how you use your Treo 600 as a true WIRELESS MODEM...wow.

No, I'm not talking about using a USB cord with PDANet...I'm talking a "wireless" modem. Did you know that you can use the P900 as a TRUE wireless modem with your laptop via IR or Bluetooth?
    As previousl stated, Notify Mail's Wireless Modem is not hard coded to usb and thus will allow the use of the Treo as a modem via IR or BT once the OS 5 cards become available...

I think the P900 is very nice and probably would purchased it instead of the Treo600 if it ran PalmOS. UIQ does seem like a nice OS, but is practically no useful medicla apps for it and I have already invested to much money in Palmos. Too bad those rumors of SE in talks with palmsource turned out to be false. I would very much liked to have seen a palmOS P900...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gekz
    Hahaha... You got yourself a $600 gadget and you messed it up within 6 hours by sticking a piece of sticky-back craft foam from Wal-mart on the earpiece.

No... really... I need to see that. Please post picture.

SOOOOO FUNNY !!!
    Me too! This is the second post where some new Treo 600 user immediately put some type of glue-backed material on the face. The last guy put a piece of silver duct tape over the center button on the navigation cluster. Yow!
  13. purpleZ
    Originally posted by unix-master

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've never used the P900 camera. And I'll also assume the 1.2 MP camera you're comparing the Treo 600 to was broken.

Besides the keyboard and the PalmOS app library, the P900 is VERY close to the Treo 600. It also has a better browser available (Opera) than the Treo. If Palm doesn't get their act together quickly, Symbian phones are going to destroy them within a year or two. Just look at how far the Sony Ericsson phones have come in three years.
    Originally posted by purpleZ

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've never used the P900 camera. And I'll also assume the 1.2 MP camera you're comparing the Treo 600 to was broken.

Besides the keyboard and the PalmOS app library, the P900 is VERY close to the Treo 600. It also has a better browser available (Opera) than the Treo. If Palm doesn't get their act together quickly, Symbian phones are going to destroy them within a year or two. Just look at how far the Sony Ericsson phones have come in three years.
    LOL! So let me guess, you're the Symbian 'purple' huh?

Anyway, I agree about the camera and Opera, but I think I read somewhere that Opera was being ported to other platforms as well. It woudl be great to see Opera for PalmOS...But like I siad before, overall the app library for Symbian just doesn't compare to PalmOS or even PPC...

P.S. The "destroy Palm" thing pretty cliche. I mean they're always about to get destoyed aren't they?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions