1.    #1  
    I just bought a Treo 300 used on ebay, which turned out to be a not-so-good idea. The unit has a loose connector and it will only sync or charge if I hold the cable in place and apply pressure. Not something I want to do every time I need to charge the battery...

Any idea if I can get this fixed? If so, will it cost as much as buying a new phone? Is there an easy way to fix it myself? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Pam
    I ran into same problem. The connector loosened and would not allow for a reliable connection to the sync cable or charger. In addition, the problem worsened as the connector became more detached over time.

My 300 was under warranty and once I cut through the normal crap at the Sprint store, I was able to talk to a knowledgable technician. The unit was swapped out on the spot. There was no mention of even attempting to crack open the case to make a repair. My opinion is this was not a first time situation.

I am guessing that you have a problem on your hands getting your unit repaired. If you get to the point of nothing to lose, you might attempt opening the case but this would be a last resort. I do not know of anyone out there attempting to repair Treo handsets.

-rds
    Originally posted by spacecadet
    I just bought a Treo 300 used on ebay, which turned out to be a not-so-good idea. The unit has a loose connector and it will only sync or charge if I hold the cable in place and apply pressure. Not something I want to do every time I need to charge the battery...

Any idea if I can get this fixed? If so, will it cost as much as buying a new phone? Is there an easy way to fix it myself? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Pam
    That sounds like a problem Dan Harkless had. I hope he didn't put his 300 up on ebay for some poor sap to pick up. Check this thread out.

Definitely you got something the seller knew was wrong and misrepresented the product if he didn't meantion it. Go back to ebay and BLAST his reputation out of the water. Or maybe ask him nicely first if he will swap your money back first (minus what paypal keeps).
    David
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies. It wasn't him - it was a guy named Hiten Parmar (ebay ID rparmer). I have filed a case against him with Ebay Square Trade, but it probably won't help. I'm definitely planning to leave negative feedback, but he hasn't done mine yet so I will probably get retaliatory feedback.

He has already denied me a refund, claims that he charged it with a car charger and it worked fine, and now won't answer my email.

I tried to see if Sprint would fix it, but they won't because I'm not the original owner. Sounds like I'm screwed. I guess I should have waited until my sprint contract is up in August...

Thanks for answering. I'm going to try the Sprint store again and maybe I can trick them into fixing it.

Pam
    Thanks for the replies. It wasn't him - it was a guy named Hiten Parmar (ebay ID rparmer). I have filed a case against him with Ebay Square Trade, but it probably won't help. I'm definitely planning to leave negative feedback, but he hasn't done mine yet so I will probably get retaliatory feedback.

He has already denied me a refund, claims that he charged it with a car charger and it worked fine, and now won't answer my email.

I tried to see if Sprint would fix it, but they won't because I'm not the original owner. Sounds like I'm screwed. I guess I should have waited until my sprint contract is up in August...

Thanks for answering. I'm going to try the Sprint store again and maybe I can trick them into fixing it.

Pam
    I had the exact same problem with a loose connector on a 300. It would not hot sync or charge unless I apply pressure to the connector. It got worse and worse until the connector became totally loose and more and more difficult to charge and impossible to hot sync. I took the unit apart and found the connector had totally separated from the PC board and floating. I attempted to repair it with a very fine tip soldering iron and a magnifier (you will need it). I was able to solder the connector back on, it will charge now but will not hot sync. I get the error "USB device not recognized" I don't know whether this is due to damage to the USB driver or I did not do a good soldering job. It is difficult to verify continuity with an ohmmeter since that are no access points (solder lands) on the main board to buzz it out. I still have mine. If i get ambitious I may try to resolder it again and see if it will hot sync again.

I took some hi res jpg's when the unit was opened with the separated connector. I can send send them to you send me your e-mail. It will give you an idea of what you're up against if you want to attempt to repair yours. I don't think Sprint would be capable of such repairs. Handspring is your only hope and it won't be cheap.

One other thought. Dial ##786 from the phone app and see what the warranty date is and whether it is a refurb or not. If it is not a refurb and under 1 year old, you are covered by Sprint's 1 year warranty even if your are not the original owner. This is unwritten rule in Sprint's book but reportedly to be true by some posters here.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks a bunch newtreouser. I would love to have copies of the pictures! My email address is spacecadet59@yahoo.com.

I followed your advice and checked the activation date. It was 6/11/02, so I guess I'm out of luck there.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Pam
    Thanks a bunch newtreouser. I would love to have copies of the pictures! My email address is spacecadet59@yahoo.com.

I followed your advice and checked the activation date. It was 6/11/02, so I guess I'm out of luck there.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Pam
    Sure thing. pics on it's way. As you can see in the pics, there are 15 pins and 4 solder tabs on the main board that has to be soldered. From your description, your connector may not have separated from the main board and may not have caused any damage. I re-soldered mine once more but still getting USB device not recognized when I tried to hot sync. I did a good job soldering this time and believe that some buffers on the USB drivers have been damaged from the loose connector.
  8.    #8  
    Good news on the loose connector. The guy who sold it to me sent me a new unit, which seems to work nicely. Thanks for the help.

Pam