1.    #1  
    I've done a bit of searching and found the answers to most of my questions but here are a few.

Keep in mind I'm a PocketPc user and the Treo 600 is my first Palm OS device.

Where are files stored? In the PocketPC you had folders like in Windows. In the Palm OS it appears everything is just thrown into one place. For example I beamed a word doc over to my Treo 600 last night and it opened with DocsToGo. Great, now where is it stored on the device?

Is there a Flie explorer app? I downloaded and installed FileZ but to be honest I'm not sure what it's telling me.

Once I add a SD card when I save files will I be given a choice to save to the device or the card.

Is there a PalmOS tips for PocketPC users website out there?

Thanks in advance...
    Sean Dotson, PE
    http://www.sdotson.com
    Think about it this way -- the device shows you programs, the programs show you files.

You can see a lot of these files using the Info..., Category and Delete features in the program launcher thingy.

(Oh dear lord, I'm going to get flamed to hell for this post.)
    PalmOs main memory doesn't use folders, everything is just lumped in together but the SD card does have folders...

Having said that, main memory files can be organised into categories in the default launcher and other third party launchers extend this concept.

There are loads of Palm sites out there, but you've already found one of the best places for info... here :-)
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    You can think of the Palm OS memory as a database. One need not care where application data is stored. The Applications can open the data files anytime they need them.
    Originally posted by sdotson
    I've done a bit of searching and found the answers to most of my questions but here are a few.

Keep in mind I'm a PocketPc user and the Treo 600 is my first Palm OS device.

Where are files stored? In the PocketPC you had folders like in Windows. In the Palm OS it appears everything is just thrown into one place. For example I beamed a word doc over to my Treo 600 last night and it opened with DocsToGo. Great, now where is it stored on the device?

Is there a Flie explorer app? I downloaded and installed FileZ but to be honest I'm not sure what it's telling me.

Once I add a SD card when I save files will I be given a choice to save to the device or the card.

Is there a PalmOS tips for PocketPC users website out there?

Thanks in advance...
    Welcome to the world of Palm OS. One of the things that you'll find very different between the Pocket PC and a Palm OS device is that the concept of a file system is not really employed on the Palm OS.

As a Pocket PC user, you concerned yourself with file management and locations of files. This is (for the most part) unnecessary on a Palm device (and is part of the reason why Palm devices are "easier" for people not familiar with computers).

On the Palm OS, the programs you run manage the files. If you copy a document into the device's main memory, you will probably not see it listed. (The application launcher usually only shows programs, not documents.)

Devices with SD card slots will allow you to transfer files between main memory and the SD card (using a file manager application). On an SD card, you can have folders and do file management, but it's unnecessary in the main memory. Deleting files can be done with the main launcher (or the application that uses the file).

Palm OS 4.x and above uses what is called a Virtual File System (VFS). This is basically a stripped down (minimal) management capability to view file properties and move files between main memory and an SD card.

As you've probably already figured out, you can install files using a conduit from your PC, beam the files from one device to another, or save the files on an SD card in order to get them onto a Palm device.

As a former Pocket PC user, it will probably take some getting used to the fact that much of the "in the weeds" stuff you had to do on a Pocket PC simply isn't necessary on a Palm OS device.

When you work with a document, for example a Word document, (assuming you have a full version of Docs-to-Go), you can choose where to store the document (either main memory or on an SD card). These functions are usually documented in each program.

Older Palm programs that aren't aware of expansion cards such as SD cards won't have built-in capability to store files on an SD card, so if you plan to work with files directly on an SD card be sure to buy/obtain newer programs that are VFS-aware.

Hope this helps.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks Inspector. That makes it a bit more clear. I guess I was over complicating the issue.

Interesting OS here. Not 100% in love with it yet but I can see it's advantages over Windows CE.

As I lean more I'm sure I will enjoy it more and more.
    Sean Dotson, PE
    http://www.sdotson.com