Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have PDA Net for Treo 600. It works great!! Anyone know how I can turn off the screen on my T600 while its connected and/or take advantage of being able to use another application while its connected.

Currenly it disconnects as soon as I try to turn off the screen, etc.

Thanks in advance
    Isaac
    I was wondering the same thing - I email PDA Net support and I'll let you know what they say.
    Hey guys, since you have experience with PDANet, do you know if it utilizes our Data minutes plan on use of the GPRS network? I have AT&T GSM and we all know how crappy their plans are (no unlimited) so I wondered if utilizing PDANet just uses the same bank of minutes or is a separate charge. Apparently on Sprint, using PDANet is a separate plan and gets billed at a ridiculous rate. Also I hear that if you try to dial an ISP and utilize the phone as a modem, Sprint monitors this and will cancel the account if they find abuse. In other words, they don't want you to use your voice plan for access to the internet. Thanks.
    I have sprintpcs and I'm a fairly new to PDA NET (I've only been using it a few weeks). Its my understanding that Sprint recognizes usage of PDA NET as web usage (as if I was using my blazer browser) so their is no extra charge for using it.

I have not seen a bill since I started using PDA NET but I don't know where they would bill me. My bill has my minute plan and $30 for the Vision Professional Pack. Their is no varibale billing option for web usage.
    I've been using pdanet for awhile now, this upcomming month's bill will see if sprint minds how much I use it.

it's only against sprints contract and they can't tell if your using it data is data, but they do pick up on some flags; probably excessive downloading or perhaps a high upload.

the exorbit fee is from the standard .02cents (?) per kilobyte rate that sprint charges; which they will charge if they flag your account for abuse.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

By the way, what speed do you typically get when you connect? My PDA Net SAYS 145k. However, it acts more like its near 56k.
    Originally posted by arborjimb
    By the way, what speed do you typically get when you connect? My PDA Net SAYS 145k. However, it acts more like its near 56k.
    You are correct. The network the Treo 600 is using to connect to the internet is only capable of 144kbps max so obviously the 145kbps is not reflective of the speed you are surfing at. I believe the 145kbps speed you see is the speed at which the Treo 600 is communicating with your computer, not the speed at which the computer/T600 is connected to the internet at.
    Originally posted by pchan
    Hey guys, since you have experience with PDANet, do you know if it utilizes our Data minutes plan on use of the GPRS network? I have AT&T GSM and we all know how crappy their plans are (no unlimited) so I wondered if utilizing PDANet just uses the same bank of minutes or is a separate charge. Apparently on Sprint, using PDANet is a separate plan and gets billed at a ridiculous rate. Also I hear that if you try to dial an ISP and utilize the phone as a modem, Sprint monitors this and will cancel the account if they find abuse. In other words, they don't want you to use your voice plan for access to the internet. Thanks.
    Let's clear this up. Sprint charges $15 a month for unlimited data useage. They do not want people using a phone on this plan in conjunction with their laptops as a low-cost alternative for internet access. Sprint intended this $15/month data option to only be used for data on the phone, not for data on the laptop. Using PDANet on Sprint uses the same data connection as if you were surfing on the Treo 600 itself, the Treo 600 is just transferring the data to your computer. Now, Sprint does not want you using the unlimited data with the Treo 600 as a wireless laptop modem so if they see you using a larger than average amount of useage/downloading on your part, they assume you are using it as a wireless laptop modem and then start to bill you at a higher rate (they also claim to have the right to cancel your service as well). Occasional useage with a laptop is fine though and will not trigger Sprint's red flag.

In order to utilize Sprint's 144kbps Vision network, you need to use Vision. If you try to use another ISP, you will only be able to connect at 14.4kbps. This useage does not fall under the unlimited $15 option, it falls under their old Wireless Web (WW) uesage plan, which was something like 30 cents/min or an extra $5/month and the useage will come out of your minutes. So if you use another ISP other than Sprint's Vision and don't have the $5/month option on your account, charges can add up quickly.

For ATT GPRS, I am unfamiliar with their pricing plans but however GPRS useage is billed when you are using data on your T600, that is how it will be billed if you use PDANet. So if when you use GPRS data on your T600 it comes out of your minutes, then using PDANet will use your minutes in the same manner. Bottom line is however GPRS useage is billed when you are using data on your T600, that is how it will be billed when you use PDANet.
    In order to utilize Sprint's 144kbps Vision network, you need to use Vision. If you try to use another ISP, you will only be able to connect at 14.4kbps. This useage does not fall under the unlimited $15 option, it falls under their old Wireless Web (WW) uesage plan, which was something like 30 cents/min or an extra $5/month and the useage will come out of your minutes. So if you use another ISP other than Sprint's Vision and don't have the $5/month option on your account, charges can add up quickly.
    I don't understand this so can you explain it to me again. I pay $30/month for the Vision porofessional package. This includes Business Connection. If I use PDA Net how am I being charged? (Assume I don't get bagged over using it too much which should not be a problem as I only intend on using it when traveling with my laptop when no other internet connection is available). Question, how will I be billed and what connection speed should I expect (144k)?

Related question, more and more I'm using shoutcast via Pocket Tunes Deluxe. If I continue to stream audio, can/will I get nailed with extra charges?
    you won't be billed, it's already included. . . nothing extra. . . it's a part of vision.

I've benched it at solid 128k. . . aside from the crappy ping, it's a pretty decent conenction.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Originally posted by arborjimb

I don't understand this so can you explain it to me again. I pay $30/month for the Vision porofessional package. This includes Business Connection. If I use PDA Net how am I being charged? (Assume I don't get bagged over using it too much which should not be a problem as I only intend on using it when traveling with my laptop when no other internet connection is available). Question, how will I be billed and what connection speed should I expect (144k)?

Related question, more and more I'm using shoutcast via Pocket Tunes Deluxe. If I continue to stream audio, can/will I get nailed with extra charges?
    Using PDANet, you will not be charged any differently than you are now. You might only run into problems if you use PDANet excessively and then Sprint might catch on and hit you with extra charges. Connection speed depends on a variety of factors such as network traffic, signal strength/quality, etc. As long as you are on the Vision network, your max speed will be 144kbps (Sprint states 50-70kbps is the average) though you will likely never achieve that speed. However, speeds in the 120s are not that uncommon either (as evidence by the previous poster).

As far as streaming audio on Pocket Tunes goes, there have been reports of people being charged extra by Sprint but again, as long as you don't use it excessively, you should be fine.
    Back to the start of this thread . . .

PDA Net support got back to me today. They said they are having "issues" associated with turning off the screen involving the hardware and OS. They said they been TRYING to get PDA Net to work with the screen off buy they cannot get it to work correctly.

Hope this helps
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    arborjimb,

Unlimited Vision on Sprint with the Treo 600 is actually $15/mo for the "Professional/Business Connection Pack". The $30/mo is the pricing for phones runing the Microsoft Pocket PC operating system, and does not apply to the Treo 600 that I'm assuming you're using. So it sounds like you're getting incorrectly charged. They tried to do the same thing to me when I ordered mine but I corrected them. I'd call up customer service if I were you and get that resolved.

Good luck!
    great post dpuza!

I just called customer service and they changed in billing to $15/mo.

thanks
    So what does it actually take to get flagged? I installed PDAnet right before I went home for Christmas. I connected it to my family's computer after I installed XP on it and I must have downloaded over a gigabyte over a period of about a week. I downloaded updates to windows and ran KazaaK++ and did all sorts of good stuff. With that kind of capacity I could have installed Windows wirelessly overnight.

The second thing I have to say is that I got full 144kbps no problem. Being that it is a wireless connection I fully anticipated it being high latency and brought my favorite download accelerator home with me: LeechGet. Using 10 threads (10 simultaneous downloads of the same file) and accounting for a small percentage of TCP/IP overhead it worked out to just about 144k! Pretty darn fast if you ask me. Now if only Blazer would download more than the HTTP standard of 2 graphics at a time!! (Registry hack anyone?) ( <-- that was an internet explorer related joke for anyone who didn't get it. )
    ohhhh, so y'all are the ones grinding the network to a crawl for the rest of us?
    Anyone know if PDA Net works with T-mobile? (I tried it once and wasn't able to make it work.)
    Originally posted by Tekara
    it's only against sprints contract and they can't tell if your using it data is data, but they do pick up on some flags; probably excessive downloading or perhaps a high upload.
    Not true. There are several ways that Sprint can track usage and identify that "data" is coming from a laptop vs coming from an "allowed" app on your phone. And with the advent of streaming audio to to PTunes it would be a safe bet that Sprint will add more abuse triggers than just high volume.

How can Sprint identify abusive data traffic?

The easiest is all browser traffic. Your browser identifies itself with each page request. It's a simple matter to flag requests coming from a browser other than blazer.

It can also be done at the packet level. Packet information will identify a machine other than the Treo as the originator of the request.

It is a common misconception that data is data. Yes it's difficult to find 1 piece of info in a large amount of data; it's easy to filter all requests as they come in.
    The easiest is all browser traffic. Your browser identifies itself with each page request. It's a simple matter to flag requests coming from a browser other than blazer.
    That would be true if you were requesting web pages operated by Sprint. Of course they could sniff the data and try to find some type of text that said blazer or whatever, but if you are browsing a third party site, that could be anywhere in the transmission, not just the agent string. With that said, they would have a hard time finding anything useful in SSL or SSH traffic.

It can also be done at the packet level. Packet information will identify a machine other than the Treo as the originator of the request.
    The one flaw in this is that the app being discussed, PDANet runs on the Treo, therefore the Treo is originating the request on the Sprint network.
    I remember reading a while ago that 1GB/Mo. is Sprint's "red flag" threshold for bandwidth. So barring heavy streaming media or P2P consumption, regular surfing should be fine.

I do believe that the reported 144k is the actual connection speed to the internet, not to the laptop. Try downloading a file of several megabytes, then try the same on dial-up; PDAnet is demonstrably faster by a factor of three.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast