Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Gameboy70

I do believe that the reported 144k is the actual connection speed to the internet, not to the laptop.
    I do not believe that is the case. Sprint's network is only capable of a max speed of 144kbps and you will never reach that due to fluctuations in network traffic, signal strength/quality, etc. Also, haven't you noticed that everytime PDANet connects to the internet, the Windows Taskbar reports the exact same speed, 144kbps (or I think it says 145kbps)! It is almost impossible to get the same connection speed to the internet twice in a row, yet alone everytime you connect. The 144kbps is the connection speed from the laptop to the Treo 600, not from the Treo to the internet. Go to dslreports.com (or any similar site) and do a test there, I guarantee you it won't be 144kbps.
    I remember reading a while ago that 1GB/Mo. is Sprint's "red flag" threshold for bandwidth. So barring heavy streaming media or P2P consumption, regular surfing should be fine.
    There have been numerous reports of what Sprint's red flag is, all ranging from 1 gig to 150 megs. Fact is, no one knows for sure. I would say occasional surfing with PDANet should be fine but using Vision/PDANet for everyday surfing (even if you don't do streaming or P2P type stuff) could still put you at risk for extra charges from Sprint.
    Originally posted by SoCalVisor

That would be true if you were requesting web pages operated by Sprint. Of course they could sniff the data and try to find some type of text that said blazer or whatever, but if you are browsing a third party site, that could be anywhere in the transmission, not just the agent string. With that said, they would have a hard time finding anything useful in SSL or SSH traffic.
    Err, sorry. Your thinking as a web developer, not as a network admin. All traffic first goes through Sprints network. Sprint could easily read all requests and track browser types submitting the request.

In fact a significant percentage of companies are already doing this, logging all outbound traffic coming from their employees. I have seen the log files, browser type is one of the items they can track.

SSL does not encrypt the entire request. If it did how would the network nodes along the way read "to" and "from" information? SSL and SSH does not encrypt the basic request information, only the body. Also the initial request to establish a SSL session is sent in the clear, the response identifies the public key to use, and then all subsequent requests use that key. This is the additional overhead that web developers must consider when evaluating site performance and webfarms (so called affinity, stickybits, etc.)

The one flaw in this is that the app being discussed, PDANet runs on the Treo, therefore the Treo is originating the request on the Sprint network.
    I was purposfully being vague as I am not a network admin. The way it was explained to me, by a network admin, is along the following:

Every device on a network has a unique identifier, this includes a laptop connecting to a Treo using PDANet. When a networking request is made the requesting computer usually does not know how to get to the destination, but it knows a network node along the way that does. It sends the request to that node. That node knows about the requesting computer and which node/computer to forward the request on to. It adds itself to the trace and forwards the request on. This continues until the request reaches the server. The response returns along the path found in the trace.

So your laptop makes a request and sends it to your treo. Your treo adds itself to the trace and forwards it on.

I stressed that the Treo is functioning as a modem, not as a network node. I was assured that the trace will still show a device other than the treo originated the request
    Last edited by dgoodisi; 02/01/2004 at 01:45 PM.
    Marty1781:

Cut me some poetic license on my bandwidth claim. What I meant was that I believe the actual network throughput is still in the broadband (e.g. 144k) range, not in the dial-up range. I won't insist the connection is literally a constant 144k. As I mentioned, binary downloads are clearly faster than 56k.

I am curious to test the throughput when I get back to my laptop, though. I'm using the Treo a la carte at the moment.
    What I meant was that I believe the actual network throughput is still in the broadband (e.g. 144k) range, not in the dial-up range. I won't insist the connection is literally a constant 144k. As I mentioned, binary downloads are clearly faster than 56k.
    The way you worded it sounded like the 144kbps PDANet reports everytime you connect is the speed you are connected to the internet at, which is not true. I have no doubt that Sprint's Vision speeds are faster than dialup (I consistently get 110+kbps). However, there are several people on these boards that see that 144kbps box pop up after connecting with PDANet and think that is what they are connecting at when in fact all that box is reporting is the speed the Treo is connected to the laptop at. Your post sounded like one of those posts.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12