Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Like most of you I tried to place my order first online then on the Phone. My Handspring CSR stated that the information I received from T-mobile was incorrect and that the GSM version would not be available to order today.

After engaging him on some further conversation he said they (Handspring) were hoping to be able to start taking orders on Wednesday. Then someone came on the line with us (Supervisor???) and I was asked to hold. The CSR then came back on the line and said that the GSM Treo would be available either this week or next week. He provided no further specifics other than no later than next week.

Not what I wanted to hear regarding ordering today, but definetely sounds like it will be soon....very soon!
    No good deed goes unpunished
    I called also and got a similiar response. She said that I need to wait till wednesday before I get to frustrated. She also stated that Wednesday will be exactly 3 weeks from when they put on the there website that it would be availiable in a few weeks. Fingers crossed, maybe we will be able to order on Wed.

Ken
    Interesting... When I got the newsletter update last week reminding me the Sprint promotion was ending soon, I sarcastically wrote back saying I'd be happy to upgrade but not with sprint. Surprisingly, they responded (emphasis added):

-----------------------------------------------
    Thank you for contacting Handspring.

We appreciate your interest in the Treo 600. Handspring has announced two models for the Treo 600 designed to work on different wireless networks (CDMA and GSM).

Currently, the CDMA version is available for purchase but is only compatible with Sprint's network. We currently have an upgrade promotion for current Treo Smartphone owners. This promotion will expire on October 29, 2003.

The GSM version will be available shortly. Service carriers who use GSM are T-Mobile, Cingular, and AT&T in the United States and Roger AT&T and Fido-Microcell in Canada. All GSM carriers use the SIM card for easy transfer to a new phone with your information. We expect this version to be available shortly but do not know if there will be a similar promotion. For updates on this release, please continue to check our site or sign up for the e-newsletter.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you need further assistance please call Sales at 1-888-565-9393.

-----------------------------------------------
    So I do hope the release comes by Wednesday. I might just have to reconsider my aversion to Sprint if it there is a price difference between CDMA upgrade and GSM upgrade.
    I was a bit puzzled that there were rumors hinting HS would release today. It seems like Wednesday, the end of the Sprint promotion, would be a better day to roll out the GSM version.
    Wednesday is better than November/December/never, but HS has still p*ssed me and a bunch of other people off. VERY poor handling of this rollout. Now I'm just trying to stay patient and hope that the hardware is flawless.
    Originally posted by Prismatic
    [B]... they (Handspring) were hoping to be able to start taking orders on Wednesday. Then someone came on the line with us (Supervisor???) and I was asked to hold. The CSR then came back on the line and said that the GSM Treo would be available either this week or next week. He provided no further specifics other than no later than next week.

Sprint upgrade offer expires Wednesday, October 29, 2003. Only one carrier "limited" upgrade at a time?
    Originally posted by glennd
    Now I'm just trying to stay patient and hope that the hardware is flawless.
    Only flawless? Why stop there? You should hold out for "made of solid gold" and "will give me a *******." Good work on the patience, though -- that's big of you.

vvvvvv Edit: Hey silverado, whas'up?
    Last edited by snerdy; 10/27/2003 at 12:29 PM.
    Originally posted by glennd
    Wednesday is better than November/December/never, but HS has still p*ssed me and a bunch of other people off. VERY poor handling of this rollout. Now I'm just trying to stay patient and hope that the hardware is flawless.
    If you're hoping for "flawless", you're setting up yourself for disappointment. I think it will be great, but flawless is divine.
    No release date is stupid. Period.

Companies like HS should not pre-release information about thier product, but just wait until its ready and then tell us.
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    Announcing a release date when you aren't sure what it will be is equally stupid, if not more so. Look at the anger coming out of a missed date that was never stated by Handspring. And then imagine how angry people would be if Handspring had officially stated a release date and then missed it.

The thing that continues to puzzle me is that people are excited enough about this product to hang around on Treocentral message boards about it (if you didn't care much, you'd probably spend your time another way), and then loudly proclaim that they'll never buy one because it didn't come out on a release date that was never officially announced anyway...
    (in full dissapointment) I think we should all consider that it will probably be November 27th or longer until they release it.

Thats the furthest date that I have seen, and it seems they will push it out as long as possible. I am counting on the fact that they will starting selling this thing on the last day of fall, if not the 1st week of winter. When is that btw?
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih

Companies like HS should not pre-release information about thier product, but just wait until its ready and then tell us.
    What company does this?

It's a common marketing practice to build demand.

Logistically, there are a number of factors that need to come together to determine a release date, especially when you consider other organizations (such a wireless carriers) that need to be coordinated with.

What would be stupid, is to announce a release date and miss it. Then you would be rightfully angry at the company.
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
    Originally posted by ToonFan

What company does this?

It's a common marketing practice to build demand.

Logistically, there are a number of factors that need to come together to determine a release date, especially when you consider other organizations (such a wireless carriers) that need to be coordinated with.

What would be stupid, is to announce a release date and miss it. Then you would be rightfully angry at the company.

Well the thing is, I know you can't do what I said.. I was being sarcastic. The fact is, I am a business owner that knows just exactly what it takes to bring a product to market. Including having my product featured on the cover of NetGuide magazine. The way that Handspring is handling this is horrible. Its silly in-fact. There isn't a decent business reason not to report delays.

Look at the stock market, why you do you think companies put out press releases saying they won't hit their quarterly earning predictions before the end of the quarter when they are due!! because if they didn't they would create instability in thier stock.
    Thanks, snerdy. But I'm not trying to hold out for something as showy and ostentatious (you'll probably have to look that word up in the dictionary) as a Treo 600 "made of solid gold". I'd be willing to settle for a GSM unit that works. "Flawless" was a poor choice of words on my part and I apologize. Thanks for calling it to my attention.

Having said that, I don't need a treo 600 that "will give me a *******" either. My wife and I satisfy each others needs very nicely, thank you. Too bad you'll never enjoy a mature, loving relationship with an attitude like yours.

I'm just frustrated and disappointed that HS did not release the GSM model today. That's all.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by glennd; 10/28/2003 at 08:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by skfny
    I was a bit puzzled that there were rumors hinting HS would release today. It seems like Wednesday, the end of the Sprint promotion, would be a better day to roll out the GSM version.
    If the promotion runs through Wednesday, it seems like Thursday would make more sense to start a new one. Otherwise the promotions overlap by one day
    What your being told makes sense with what i said here. . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t39972/s.html

I posted this same thing over a week ago, but dont want to find that post, it got very quickly moved off 1st page.

I think its all about the merger and branding. Look at the positives you'll get PalmOne Treo 600. While we have the Hand Treo 600 collector's edition
    Last edited by glennd; 10/28/2003 at 08:24 AM.
    Originally posted by sharding

Announcing a release date when you aren't sure what it will be is equally stupid, if not more so. Look at the anger coming out of a missed date that was never stated by Handspring. And then imagine how angry people would be if Handspring had officially stated a release date and then missed it.
    I think the text in bold above states it right to the point, although I don't think sharding even realizes the irony of the post. A date was never stated by HS. We need to keep this in mind. Am I just saying this to be a jerk? No. I'm just as anxiously awaiting the release as any of you.
    Originally posted by craigdts
    What your being told makes sense with what i said here. . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t39972/s.html

I posted this same thing over a week ago, but dont want to find that post, it got very quickly moved off 1st page.

I think its all about the merger and branding. Look at the positives you'll get PalmOne Treo 600. While we have the Hand Treo 600 collector's edition
    Yes, I remember that you said that and I still think it's a very point. As I pointed out then, my Sprint Treo 600 had a return address of PalmOne in Utah!
    Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days. Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

You may also update this question by replying to this message. Because your reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter your reply in the space below. Text entered into any other part of this message will be discarded. [===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]

[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

If your issue remains unresolved, please update this question at http://voicestream.custhelp.com/cgi-...ted=1067266345

Subject
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    There are still rumors that the Handspring Treo 600 will be available through...

Discussion Thread
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Response (Michael) - 10/27/2003 11:46 AM
    Dear Charles Hadley,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. Beginning November 22nd T-Mobile will begin supporting the Treo 600 device. At this time you will only be able to purchase this device through Handspring. For more information regarding this device, please visit the following link: http://www.handspring.com
    If you have any other comments, questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for choosing T-Mobile.

Sincerely,
    T-Mobile USA, Inc.
    Mike C.
    Web Services

Customer - 10/27/2003 07:52 AM
    There are still rumors that the Handspring Treo 600 will be available through T-mobile or Handspring soon. When will it be available and will I be able to apply my handset upgrade allowance?

Question Reference #031027-000308
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast