Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was about to dial it, but then I realized that there's no way to tell which letters correspond to which numbers. I know that 2 is "abc" and 3 is "def", but I'd rather not have to sit there and map it out in my head just to dial a number. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Ok. Click on the phone "hard" button until it has a dialer on the screen. There you will have the letters you are looking for.
    You could use the built-in dial pad app.... Has all the number/letter combinations there....
    Originally posted by MtnManiacX
    I was about to dial it, but then I realized that there's no way to tell which letters correspond to which numbers. I know that 2 is "abc" and 3 is "def", but I'd rather not have to sit there and map it out in my head just to dial a number. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I am from the pre-dial error. I remember my delight in the first dial phone I ever saw. I remember when "Touch-tone" and the "Princess" phone were introduced. Even I know what letters are associated with which number keys. Four year olds learn this in sand pile.

For those of you who are either too young or too old to have figured this out, Treo offers the on-screen key-pad. Enjoy.
  5.    #5  
    Ok, I feel properly stupid now. Thanks for the help, guys
    Originally posted by MtnManiacX
    Ok, I feel properly stupid now. Thanks for the help, guys
    We had so much fun!
    Originally posted by whmurray

I am from the pre-dial error. I remember my delight in the first dial phone I ever saw. I remember when "Touch-tone" and the "Princess" phone were introduced. Even I know what letters are associated with which number keys. Four year olds learn this in sand pile.

For those of you who are either too young or too old to have figured this out, Treo offers the on-screen key-pad. Enjoy.
    1. You're a **** for giving this guy such a rude response.

2. It's "era" -not- "error" (although I do have to agree that you'd be associated with some sort of error).

3. Four year olds typically play in a "sand box" not a "sand pile".

I only point any of this out because since you've been so critical of someone else I figure you deserve and expect the same level of scrutiny from others.
    Originally posted by derek985

I only point any of this out because since you've been so critical of someone else I figure you deserve and expect the same level of scrutiny from others.
    Noted.
  9. purpleY
    I hope this isn't the same answer as above, if it is I apologize. It is really easy to dial the letters, just dial the letters, the system knows what numbers you are talking trying to dial, you don't have to figure anything out cool huh.

fer instance

1-800-flowers would be
    1-800-f-l-o-w-e-r-s instead of
    1-800-3509377

UPDATE:

Sorry, I did this the other day and now I can't seem to duplicate it. I'll keep looking, I swear it worked. Maybe it's the drugs.
    Originally posted by purpleY
    just dial the letters
    This sounds really cool ...but I don't see how it would work. I mean, I'm trying it right now and when I dial the F (following your example) I get a 5 instead of a 3. Can you be a bit more specific on how this works?

whmurray -- I thought it was funny. (You might still be a ****, though.)
  11. purpleY
    sorry,

I can't seem to duplicate it now, I swear it worked for me the other day. Really. Maybe? I don't know anymore, stupid matrix.

Please ignore my advice in the future.

thanks

p
    Originally posted by snerdy

whmurray -- I thought it was funny. (You might still be a ****, though.)
    Perhaps the best definition of a **** is "an otherwise nice guy, trying to be funny (particularly on a forum)." In any case, I can live with it.

Perhaps the best definition of a **** is "an otherwise nice guy, trying to be funny (particularly on a forum)." In any case, I can live with it.
    You know that you were'nt really trying to be funny - and somehow if you were - you are in desperate need of lessons.

So maybe the definition of a **** should be "an otherwise nice guy who pretends they were trying to be funny when they get called out for critisizing someone else for no apparent reason"

Noted?

You know that you were'nt really trying to be funny - and somehow if you were - you are in desperate need of lessons.

So maybe the definition of a **** should be "an otherwise nice guy who pretends they were trying to be funny when they get called out for critisizing someone else for no apparent reason"

Noted?
    Perhaps. I suggest that you go back and re-read what I wrote. I have and cannot find that I criticized anyone. I did offer advice for anyone who self-identified as too young or too old to have mastered a particular skill. In any case, I have taken the last lesson from you that I intend to take. From now on, you write for yourself, not to instruct me.
    To return to the substance of the question, it's interesting to note that RIM has solved this little problem in their Blackberry phones: if you hold the Function key, the letter keys take on their touchtone meanings instead of their alphabetic meanings. So, you just dial 1800(function)flowers. Very neat, and Treo could do it easily in the next release as it's a minor software hack.

While it's true that the soft keypad shows the letters, I always find it painfully slow to dial names on a numeric pad - and why should we have to when the real letter keys are already on the device?
    Noted?
    Stuff it, Hamsterboy.

cbrenner -- Hey, that's neat! It may not actually fit into the way the Treo 600 uses the keypad (or, I don't know, maybe it would), but it sounds neat nonetheless.

Stuff it, Hamsterboy.
    Noted.
    From now on, you write for yourself, not to instruct me.
    Agreed, as long as you employ the same practice.
    A quick way to get to the dial pad: Press the Phone button. Then press the Center button on the 5-way nav. Ta-da! A menu pops up. The first item on the menu is "Dial Pad." Pick that one, and the Dial Pad shows up.

This comes in handy if you have set some wallpaper up, AND you've set "Typing starts Contacts Search" in the display prefs, for those rare occasions when you need to dial an actual phone number manually (ew, dialing manually? how 1998!)
    Stuff it, Hamsterboy.

Noted.

Funniest thing I've read all day!!! Thanks guys for making an otherwise dull monday somewhat humorous!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast