Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was in Best Buy yesterday, and they had the Treo 600 in Stock for Sprint. I played with it for a good while. Web browsing didn't work, SMS didn't work, and sending pictures on Sprint's network was kind of poor compared to how convenient it is with my T-Mobile service.

I think I will wait for the GSM version, as Sprint didn't impress me, and I'd rather have the extra battery life and be able to receive phone calls while I browse the web. A lot of other people may however be interested in knowing that at least the Best Buy near me has a stack of 600s under the counter, and a fully operational phone out for display, not a dummy like a lot of the other phones there.
    I saw some Treo 600's at Best Buy this past Friday too. A working model on display. Too bad, they don't have any Treo 600 cases yet.
    But I am happy with my Sprint version, reception and plan.
    Thanks for the heads up, couple of ?'s:

1. Where are you located?

2. What was the price?

3. Any sales or promotions going on at BB?

Thanks.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I just called the Bowie, MD BB to see if they have them in stock. They have 4 units in -- BUT they are NOT selling them yet! Now what kind of sense does that make? They are priced at $599.

And while being a bargain shopper, I perfer to get a discount to defray the cost of this unit, I am tempted because if there is a problem, I can at least return it locally (given it's in stock Grrrrrrr) locally. Being some of these units do seem to have bugs in them that I may not be able to live with.

I mean I ordered Oct. 21 and my status is still "Order Received". My patience is coming to an end. If I do decide to do the local thing I would have to try and cancel my order before my card is charged and the item shipped.

Decisions, decisions....
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Rmitch,

You might get a little better battery life and be able to surf on the phone (why and how I don't know why), but there transfer speeds are lacking in comparison.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by GeekyMom
    Thanks for the heads up, couple of ?'s:

1. Where are you located?

2. What was the price?

3. Any sales or promotions going on at BB?

Thanks.
    1. Pittsburgh, specifically I was at the McKnight Rd. BestBuy.

2. I believe the price was $399 w/ activation.

3. No promotions.
    So much for BB discontinuing carrying the Treo!

Did they have any accessories in? Do you know if they were going to carry any and if so, when?

Thanks for the heads up!
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by jayzee
    Rmitch,

You might get a little better battery life and be able to surf on the phone (why and how I don't know why), but there transfer speeds are lacking in comparison.
    The way GSM uses power control, your phone broadcasts at the minimum power required to maintain good signal quality. This can increase battery life by even 100% over the Sprint version. I have a cell phone so that people can always get ahold of me, and not leave messages. I don't need one person going to voicemail, just because I'm reading e-mail from another.

The speed I get browsing by GPRS is plenty fast for a palm device. I don't know anyone who does major web browsing on a 160x160 display. Comparing browsing to Sprint's vision, the real world difference isn't that noticeable on web pages, it really only comes into play when downloading large files, which again seems kind of pointless on a PDA.

Sprints only advantage in coverage here is offereing analog roaming, but I've never found a place I've needed it yet. Their digital footprint is probably even slightly smaller, there rates are higher, and there customer service is poor. My wife SMSs me all the time, and I'm not going to wait for Sprint to get real SMS, and hope it works well. Right now I can message all of my friends easily, even if they have Verizon, ATT or another carrier, and if I feel like it I can send someone an SMS while I'm already talking on the phone. Something Sprint probably won't ever be able to do. Probably for the same reason your phone can't ring while you are connected to the internet.
    Get the treo 600sms from pdaapps works great, can sms anyone. DOn't need to wait for sprints sms (they will probably charge for it anyway). As far as the speeds I used to have a 270 on tmobile. I got rid of it thoroughly disappointed with the speeds of gprs. I used to get 17 or 24kbps. I now get 111kbps, 140 using it as a modem on a laptop. I don't have anyneeds to be browsing while on the phone or talking to someone while sms someone else. Computers might be multitask capable, but most humans aren't I am one of those. Thats why they are PDA's everyones needs are different. As far as phone ringing or receiving sms messages while online. I haven't tested the phone while on vision, but I do know for a fact that I do get sms messages while on vision.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by jayzee
    Get the treo 600sms from pdaapps works great, can sms anyone. DOn't need to wait for sprints sms (they will probably charge for it anyway). As far as the speeds I used to have a 270 on tmobile. I got rid of it thoroughly disappointed with the speeds of gprs. I used to get 17 or 24kbps. I now get 111kbps, 140 using it as a modem on a laptop. I don't have anyneeds to be browsing while on the phone or talking to someone while sms someone else. Computers might be multitask capable, but most humans aren't I am one of those. Thats why they are PDA's everyones needs are different. As far as phone ringing or receiving sms messages while online. I haven't tested the phone while on vision, but I do know for a fact that I do get sms messages while on vision.
    The Treo 600 on T-Mobile will be at the very least twice as fast as the 270 was. Handspring never should have released the 270 with 2+1 GPRS, that is slowest I have ever seen a phone.

The 600sms from pdaapps lets you receive messages while being connected with vision because it isn't true SMS and it is using vision. I'll stick with real SMS. Noone will convince me to touch Sprint. My point isn't about multitasking, it is about the fact that I can't have work call me with an emergency, but my phone doesn't ring because I am checking the weather. Or worse my wife calls saying she is in labor, and I'm busy dumping the SPAM from my inbox, so my phone doesn't ring.
    Originally posted by RMitch
    I was in Best Buy yesterday, and they had the Treo 600 in Stock for Sprint. I played with it for a good while. Web browsing didn't work, SMS didn't work, and sending pictures on Sprint's network was kind of poor compared to how convenient it is with my T-Mobile service.

I think I will wait for the GSM version, as Sprint didn't impress me, and I'd rather have the extra battery life and be able to receive phone calls while I browse the web. A lot of other people may however be interested in knowing that at least the Best Buy near me has a stack of 600s under the counter, and a fully operational phone out for display, not a dummy like a lot of the other phones there.
    Web Browsing/SMS/Phone calls never work on BB's display units because they are not activated phones...I find it hard to believe you could send a picture, but yet not conect to the web or send an SMS. THE phone would have to have been activated for you to do this! You can't have one without the other...

On another note, you say the method by which you send pictures is "poor compared to how convenient it is with my T-Mobile service" - care to elaborate on that? Sending a picture is sending a picture! Vision is so much faster than GSM/GPRS for data, and I can't imagine that TMob's method is better...
    Originally posted by zoomer777
    On another note, you say the method by which you send pictures is "poor compared to how convenient it is with my T-Mobile service" - care to elaborate on that?
    With other GSM camera phones, you use the built in email or MMS app to send the photo.

MMS to phone number: photo is displayed with native MMS app.
    MMS (or email) to email: recipient gets email w/ attached photo.

With the sucky Sprint version, your recipient gets a cheesy url where they can see your photo (on a page plastered with Sprint corporate logos and advertising).

I'd rather just get a photo, without the barrage of red and white advertising.
    I'd have to agree with that, although I haven't been sent a picturemail to my phone from another phone before to really see how it works. I guess I should send myself a picture? When I send a picture to an email address...it looks fine for the most, as long as your email can display html. I am wondering if Sprint plans to unveil a MMS system when this "supposed" MO-SMS/MMS system gets online mid-november.

PS- I still don't know if thos GSM/GPRS speeds totally outweigh the advantage Vision has

The Treo 600 on T-Mobile will be at the very least twice as fast as the 270 was. Handspring never should have released the 270 with 2+1 GPRS, that is slowest I have ever seen a phone.

This deviates from the topic of this thread but I'm curious about your comment. What IS the speed of GPRS on the 600? Handspring's site doesn't go into the nuts-n-bolts that deeply. Thanks!
    From what I understand with any service provider if you're on the net you can't be on the phone @ the same time.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by zoomer777

Web Browsing/SMS/Phone calls never work on BB's display units because they are not activated phones...I find it hard to believe you could send a picture, but yet not conect to the web or send an SMS. THE phone would have to have been activated for you to do this! You can't have one without the other...

On another note, you say the method by which you send pictures is "poor compared to how convenient it is with my T-Mobile service" - care to elaborate on that? Sending a picture is sending a picture! Vision is so much faster than GSM/GPRS for data, and I can't imagine that TMob's method is better...
    I couldn't send a picture, I could only try to send one and have it fail. I have tried it with other Sprint phones though. The phone was activated, but without vision. I could only make calls. Someone else already metioned Sprint and the URLs to your e-mail. It is also less key strokes and is easier on every T-Mobile phone I've tried.
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by icedivr

This deviates from the topic of this thread but I'm curious about your comment. What IS the speed of GPRS on the 600? Handspring's site doesn't go into the nuts-n-bolts that deeply. Thanks!
    The GSM Treo has a Class 10 GPRS modem I believe, so you should be able to get about 56k.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by Jaggrey
    From what I understand with any service provider if you're on the net you can't be on the phone @ the same time.
    You can't browse the internet with eaither and talk on the phone at the same time. With T-Mobile, if someone calls, it will pause your internet session and let you answer the call. With Sprint the call goes straight to voicemail and you never know it came in until you close your internet connection and the voicemail notification shows up.
    Many threads seem to start off on a particular topic and then end up on a GSM/GPRS vs. CDMA battle. WHO CARES!! It's a friggin Treo600 that we've all been salivating for since the announcement earlier this year.

CDMA works for some and GSM for others. I for one have had my 600 since 7 Oct and still can't get over how awsome this device is. It has it's flaws, but to me, it's minor.

When the GSM version finally comes out, I'm sure many of you who waited will not be disappointed. Personally, I think the silver looks slick!!

sorry to rant

You can't browse the internet with eaither and talk on the phone at the same time. With T-Mobile, if someone calls, it will pause your internet session and let you answer the call. With Sprint the call goes straight to voicemail and you never know it came in until you close your internet connection and the voicemail notification shows up.
    Actually I believe with Sprint you'll get the voicemail notification immediately even if you are on the web and actively receiving or sending data. I've only had my phone 3 days but that's how it appears to work from a few experiments I ran.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast