1.    #1  
    Got my new T600 on Saturday morning. Took a dogs age to get the 2 sim updates (first at 3pm, second at 5pm) and I finally got some service on Sunday morning (very intermittent).

Firstly - is this normal? have people experienced similar delays?

Second - has anyone noticed the phone works better without the supplied MMC card installed? I uploaded my 'Free' copy of PocketTunes and some MP3's (PT installed to the phone) and with the card removed its performance increases and I actually get signal!!!

Help anyone?
    Hi!

I've had no real problems with my Orange Treo.
    My SIM updates took half an hour or less.

Signal strength is fine in London.

Where are you using your phone?
  3.    #3  
    ...home of Orange UK!!!

Signal strengths variable - but I have just removed my MMC card and been working fine. Made successful calls and finally picked up my ansaphone messages and sent text.

Ah me, the joys of version 1 software...

Which reminds me - anyone had trouble sending a text msg when GPRS is enabled?

oBoy!
    My SIM update arrived literally within 5 minutes of called Orange to register. Admittedly I did get 7 more than the 2 I was expecting, but after ploughing through them all, all was well.

I haven't noticed any different in reception problems with a card in, though I am using a purchased SD card rather than the supplied MultiMedia card - this should make any difference.

As for performance, again, not difference noticed. You haven't got PocketTunes playing in the background have you? - PocketTunes will play while you do other things, and this will slow the device down to a certain extent.
    Got mine from MobileShop, so it was transit barred. The sim update unbarring it arrived 2 minutes after I phoned Orange (I got 3 extra copies of this).

GPRS didn't work so I phoned customer service. They said they'd send a couple of updates and I'd have to wait a few hours for reprovisioning. 10 minutes (and 8 more sim update messages) later I was all up and running.

Reception has been excellent around London with an SD card installed (I gave away the MMC card so can't test it).

One disappointment was that the Orange customer services guy said the free open access bundle is WAP only, but I downloaded WAPman which is working ok.
    Was i ment to do anything with the updates.
    i never opened the files.
    my phone works beautifully. crashs with some programs (namely some games ) but nothing that has been serious.
    Originally posted by ms264556
    Got mine from MobileShop, so it was transit barred. The sim update unbarring it arrived 2 minutes after I phoned Orange (I got 3 extra copies of this).

GPRS didn't work so I phoned customer service. They said they'd send a couple of updates and I'd have to wait a few hours for reprovisioning. 10 minutes (and 8 more sim update messages) later I was all up and running.

Reception has been excellent around London with an SD card installed (I gave away the MMC card so can't test it).

One disappointment was that the Orange customer services guy said the free open access bundle is WAP only, but I downloaded WAPman which is working ok.
    i had the same prob with gprs and had to ring them.
    what is that free axx bundle? and how do i access wap pages?i was trying to d/l a ringtone and the site said that i need a wap enabled phone.
    can you post your gprs settings - also, what is the signal indicator ie green arrows ? when gprs is supposedly working
    - thanks
    Service: Orange Internet
    Connection: GPRS
    User Name: [blank]
    Password: [blank]
    APN: orangeinternet

Under Details... Advanced... nothing is filled in or ticked (they got me to tick the boxes when trying to get it working on the phone, but after reprovisioning it works fine with the boxes unticked).

To get WAPman working I pointed the gateway at 192.168.71.35 (which I got off google - I'm going to confirm this with Orange before I make too much use of the WAP).

...And yes, the signal indicator has green arrows when GPRS is on...
    and how do i access wap pages
    I just looked up "WAP Browser" at Handango and grabbed the resulting app - WAPman.
    It seems to be OK, but the company website seems to be dead so I don't know how I'm going to register it when the trial runs out.
    Originally posted by ms264556

I just looked up "WAP Browser" at Handango and grabbed the resulting app - WAPman.
    It seems to be OK, but the company website seems to be dead so I don't know how I'm going to register it when the trial runs out.
    http://it.asia1.com.sg/newsdaily/news003_20021107.html

Looks as tho the company is dead.

Set up by Dinesh Bhatia.

Maybe this guy knows something:
    http://edgematrix.tripod.com/
    Now I am very confused. In my orange handbook it says when u have the green arrows you are actively using a dial up connection. Does this mean I am using airtime ? for the GPRS it has a triangle with kind of a T in it.

Anyway I can find out how I am connected when browing on web ?
    The umbrella thing means that you have a GPRS signal.

The green arrows mean that you have a connection - but you'll only be charged for what you actually download.
    uh, no it doesn't!

The umbrella/attena means you have a GSM (and presumably a CDMA) signal, so you can make and rec calls.

The little triangle next to the top of the attena means you can connect to GPRS if needed.

The two arrows mean data is being transfered over GPRS.

Not sure how you kill a GPRS connection though...its not supposed to cost anything...but i'm not sure if i 'trust' it
    This should help. It has been discussed with Orange and the handbook is a misprint. The green arrows mean you are connected to GPRS, it does not mean you are using up Mb.
    If you are worried about leaving it on, you can go into Preferences - Network - at the bottom of screen you can disconnect.
    My five pennies worth for what its' worth
    Cracked it !!!!
    Finaly working.................................

Network settings

For Internet Access

Service = Orange Internet
    Username = leave blank
    Password = leave blank
    APN = orangeinternet

For MMS Access

Service = Orange MMS
    Username = leave blank
    Password = leave blank
    APN = orangemms

Msgs/MMS software settings

MMS Gateway Address = 192.168.224.10
    MMSC URL = http://mms.orange.co.uk
    alternate, both seem to work
    MMSC URL = http://orange.multimedia
    MMSC Port Number as = 9201

I use Gopherking's (http://www.gopherking.com) service for sending/recieving emails from multiple accounts (20 a year) and they assure me adding UK sites is high on their priority.

For Web access Blazer through GPRS for
    BBC
    ITN
    Treo600essentials
    TreoBits
    Treo1
    Gopherking

and of course a call to Orange MMS service (07973100451 (option 2)) to make sure data is enabled on account. It also appears to take a few days for it to activate which may have been my problem. (Expecting Orange to activate the account straight away (my impatience!)
    Hope this helps others.
    PS They don't seem to understand the term Treo 600 but mention Handspring and their little eyes light up !!!!

This is all using my 2 year old Orange SIM.

The phone is also unlocked and on version 2.09 FW. Inspite of Orange customer service being pretty poor IMHO they have the best network coverage and so, although the phone is unlocked I will stay with Orange. Technically the best maintained network for receiving all services on a 'pay as you go' basis, and presumably monthly tariffs have the same levels.

PS I use Panasonic SD cards. All the rest have caused me major problems when backingup and restoring software. I'm led to believe it's something to do with the voltage and speed characteristics of cheaper cards that make them less reliable. Have tried Sandisk, PNY and Lexar with little or no success. Panasonic, no problems (yet) and I keep testing it.
    Last edited by nssrac; 01/25/2004 at 12:34 PM.