1.    #1  
    Ok, I'm confused. I was looking at my lifetime stats via ##786 tonight. I noticed that my lifetime minutes said 958. I know without a doubt that I have not talked that many minutes on my Treo 600. I figured it might be some application that I had been using frequently and so the first one I decided to test was Blazer. I have a bookmark here to TreoCentral's discussion forums, so I loaded it up. After I loaded it up, I went back to the ##786 stats screen and the Life Time(minutes) had incremented! I've tested going to some other sites and the time seems to increment though not consistently every time I load a new page. What's the deal here? How can data be incrementing minutes? Has or can anyone else confirm that their Sprint Treo 600 is doing this too?
    Same deal on my Sprint Treo 600.
    Very odd.
    Question is, are these minutes coming out of our plans...?
  3.    #3  
    You're reading my mind. I changed some options last month on my plan, so I've been without access to my minute usage for the past couple of weeks. My bill period starts over on the 27th so I guess I can watch it and see what it says. I'll probably be calling Sprint this morning to check on my official usage to satisfy my paranoia though.
    Just to get this straight (soon to be a Treo user), using Treo services such as internet browsing is NOT supposed to tap into your phone minutes, CORRECT?
  5.    #5  
    Correct. That's why I'm surprised it's doing what it's doing here. My understanding has always been that internet browsing is considered data and that it's unlimited unless you don't have the Vision option added to your account in which case you would pay something like $.002 per kb or something like that. My suspicion here is that the Lifetime minutes timer is being incorrectly incremented for some reason.
    Vision data is not measured by the minute (as the older 2G Wireless Web system was). It sounds like the Treo is counting kilobytes as minutes on the life timer.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Dun dun dun! And the plot thickens!
    A standing question I've had has been:

== "Data transfer is (essentially) free on "flat rate" data
    == plans but is the TIME of the transfer free as well?"

Sure would definitively like the answer.

And whatta "gotcha" if it isn't free...

(so, there are 479 folks on this web site who work for Sprint, Tmobile, and others - speak up!)

[addendum - just checked out both Sprint and TMobile - though fairly well hidden they both unambiguously say it is data, not time, that data plans are charged for - so if you have a flat rate plan your data is essentially "free"]
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 10/27/2003 at 06:21 AM.
    The "lifetime" minutes do not measure your plan minutes. I think that's just an indicator of how old the radio is. To get an accurate indication of the radio usage, it would have to count all minutes that the radio is active. If you're not convinced, take a look at your minutes used on the Sprint portal.

Believe me, as a long-time Treo 300 user, if they charged by the minute for data, I'd be done within a week. They don't.
  10.    #10  
    I'm not definitely implying that they charge by the minute for data otherwise I'd be done too, but this timer changing due to data usage sure is weird. I'm mainly calling because I haven't checked usage in a while anyway, so it will confirm what I'm pretty sure of already which is that it's this is a weird anamoly.
    I don't have my 600 yet, but I know from my 180 that if you connect to the internet via dialup (put ISP info in "Network Connections") then you DO get charged for the minutes since dialing your ISP and connecting is done via a regular phonecall.

In my 180, the only way you won't eat-up your minutes is to get GPRS and pay separately for that.
    I had a struggle with Sprint when I first got my 300 over a year ago when they were charging me minutes to access the web through Blazer. It took two months to clear up.

Perhaps the problem has returned with the new phones.
    I have been a Sprint Vision user for almost a full year now. Vision service is a flat rate and your usage will not be taken out of your "voice" minutes. I am sure that skfny is correct in that the life timer is just showing the amount of time that the CDMA radio has been used for transmitting both voice an data so that if a unit fails, the manufacturer, Sprint, or both can see how much the radio was actually utilized. This would allow them to accurately track metrics if a bunch of the radios started to fail like what is the average used life of a radio before the units fail.
    Originally posted by gekz
    I don't have my 600 yet, but I know from my 180 that if you connect to the internet via dialup (put ISP info in "Network Connections") then you DO get charged for the minutes since dialing your ISP and connecting is done via a regular phonecall.

In my 180, the only way you won't eat-up your minutes is to get GPRS and pay separately for that.
    You're reffering to CSD, similar to Sprint's older 2G Wireless Web which did charge by the minute.

Vision is similar to GPRS in that it is packet based, and charged similarly.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net