1.    #1  
    I am looking for either a way to get GotoMyPC to work on the Treo600 or something similar. I do not want VNC or any other product that requires opening up firwall ports. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I don't have first hand experience with this app, but I have read some good things about it: Win-Hand
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    I've been using Win-Hand for about 2 weeks. It works great.

Larry
    Originally posted by lmelamed

Larry
    Winhand looks great, except ot says that only the $70 Corporate version connects through Firewalls/Routers which I have.

Can anyoe verify that the Free version will NOT connect to your desktop using a wired in home network, which many people have?

Mike
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    If I remember correctly, the only difference between the free version and the paid version is the ability to set an access password.
    KKenna is correct. The main difference is there's NO security with the free version. Anyone who knows your IP address (or domain name) of your PC (if no firewall) or the public IP address of your router/firewall can access your computer.

I use Win-Hand accessing my PC thru a SMC DSL Router w/built-in firewall. You will need to configure the Router/Firewall to forward data for port xxxx (you select his during setup) to the IP address of the actual PC you want to access.

Larry

Larry
    Larry,

Could you tell us a little more about your experience with the product? For example, how fast is it and how does it look on the 600's limited screen? Also, have you tried it while using any email redirector sofware on your PC (e.g., Visto's?).

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Robert
    I haven't tired it with Vista. Not sure what you mean by an email redirector.

Win-Hand just displays exactly what's on your PCs screen. It's pretty small initially but you can zoom in and out if you can't read something. Try the free version. It's easy to set up.

Larry
    A desktop mail redirector is a memory-resident application that automatically forwards and synchs your email on your outlook with your wireless device. Better than POP3 in that your inbox and sent items are always synch'd. I assume that the win product you're describing also has a memory resident piece of software on your always-on pc. So, my question is, do these two pieces of software conflict? I've emailed the tech support to see if they know...
  10.    #10  
    KKenna is correct. The main difference is there's NO security with the free version. Anyone who knows your IP address (or domain name) of your PC (if no firewall) or the public IP address of your router/firewall can access your computer.

I use Win-Hand accessing my PC thru a SMC DSL Router w/built-in firewall. You will need to configure the Router/Firewall to forward data for port xxxx (you select his during setup) to the IP address of the actual PC you want to access.

Larry

So you still have to route the data? Then it is not like GotoMyPC.... Are there any apps out there that do not make you open ports on the firewall or change the firewall to reroute to a different IP? I thought the client installed on the PC takes care of the routing and firewall issue? Am I incorrect?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I have been trying Win-Hand for several months. I got the comercial version 3.0 for free because I helped the Win-Hand team to test the application.

I can tell you that win-hand is great. I have tested it at work and at home extensively with different connections and configurations.

Search This Brighthand Forums for Win-Hand/TarekAHF and you will find useful info.

In summary, to use win-hand with cost-effective setup and configuration, and to be practical, you need any of the following:

1. At work, you need to check with the Network Admin to see if this works. Try Win-Hand Test App that comes with WinHand Free Trial Version. In my case, too bad it did not work after I spent a lot of time testing it. And our Admin refused to allow using this product becuase it is not following any known standard.

2. At home, it will work, but you will face some difficulty if you have dial-up connection. If you have an always-on connection, then there is no problem. Check this link.

Recently I found another solution called Mobile TS, try it at:
    http://www.ddhsoftware.com/mobile_ts.html

I think Terminal Services is the proper method to access you work PC by co-ordinating with the Network Admin.

I hope this helps.
    I use both WinHand and Sprint's BC (one of the many mail redirectors out there) and they work fine in conjunction with each other. No conflicts. In fact, this wknd, while out of town, I used WinHand to remotely restart the BC client, since it had a little hiccup.
    They work great.
    Thanks for the info!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    If your PC is at work is and behind a firewall and the network Admin decided to prevent you from using win-hand then he can do that.

If some one was able to trick the Admin, then I would like to know how? Is that done using what is called a Rediretor? I need more info about that & how to make use of such redirctor in Saudi Arabia.

If you are controling your home PC, hen you have no access controll issues.
    I know a little about firewall. And from What Iknow. any program you use to connect to your pc from a outside source will open up ports in your firewall.

The difference is the program can handle it automatically during installation, or require you to do it manually "like PalmVNC".
    That the whole pupose of a firewall
    1 to store acceptable ports for incoming and outgoing traffice , based on user needs.
    Hotsync manager opens Port on you firewall.

If I'm wrong someone please I'm me with the correct info
    Recently I found another solution called Mobile TS, try it at:
    http://www.ddhsoftware.com/mobile_ts.html

I think Terminal Services is the proper method to access you work PC by co-ordinating with the Network Admin.[/B]
    I wouldn't call it "proper", but TS is used by many Windows shops because Terminal Services is built into most server versions of Windows.

I was hoping for a Palm TS client - I didn't want to run VNC and TS on the same server...
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ClarenceCM3
    I know a little about firewall. And from What Iknow. any program you use to connect to your pc from a outside source will open up ports in your firewall...
    I think you are almost there ...
    I am like you, I have little knowledge in this area. Based on my discussion with our Network Admin, and my expereince with Win-Hand, I am now somehow familier with firewall issues. As you said, firewall blocks incomming requests to your PC, which is connected to the Internet, from outside sources.

Usually, your home PC does not have a firewall, but you can install one if you desire. Most companies will install a firewall and will prevent all unknown incomming requests to the company main server for security concerns! This server, provides internet access for all the company PCs which are connected to the company LAN.

Once there is a firewall, and in order to allow programs like win-hand to work properly, then you must open some ports. For example, port 8080 is used for HTTP requests. I came to know that the Network Admin has the power to block any kind of tool/progam installed on any client PC to access the internet or to receive requests from the internet, except through certain ports. Therfore, you have to co-ordinate with the Network Admin to allow this type of program to work properly.

When the server is Windows Based, I think that the Network Admin will be more confortable to allow programs like Mobile TS to operate on the network, becuase it uses Terminal Services and the Admin is familiar with such technology, un-like Win-Hand, which uses other methods.

If some one was able to use Win-Hand on a Company LAN which has firewalls, then I would like to know how?
    Hi alll,
    I'm looking for an application that make possible to use treo 600 as router for a connection between pc and treo itself.
    I'm looking for in order to obtein internet navigation from pc using treo 600 as "server".
    Have you seen something to do it?