1.    #1  
    Has anyone who used to carry a phone and a pager been able to get rid of the pager and use the Treo 600 only?

In other words, using the messaging system, if someone is to page you via e-mail and what solution have you used for people who want to page you via a phone call using a 800 #?

I'm now carrying a pager and a 300 (600 ordered) and I've been able to use a forwarding system from Skynet page system to have every message delivered to my sprint messaging e-mail BUT on the 300 the alert is way too week for me to just leave the Treo on a table or even in one pocket in my suit.

Will the 600 help in that regard? Can you have a loud alarm for the messaging system? It would be great to have just one device!!!

Thanks for any comments.

Ismenio
    Originally posted by Ismenio
    Has anyone who used to carry a phone and a pager been able to get rid of the pager and use the Treo 600 only?

In other words, using the messaging system, if someone is to page you via e-mail and what solution have you used for people who want to page you via a phone call using a 800 #?

I'm now carrying a pager and a 300 (600 ordered) and I've been able to use a forwarding system from Skynet page system to have every message delivered to my sprint messaging e-mail BUT on the 300 the alert is way too week for me to just leave the Treo on a table or even in one pocket in my suit.

Will the 600 help in that regard? Can you have a loud alarm for the messaging system? It would be great to have just one device!!!

Thanks for any comments.

Ismenio
    Not sure how this would actually work, but the 600 allows different alerts/volume for SMS messages, so maybe if Skynet sends an SMS, you can set the alert to be appropriately strong.

Just a thought...
    Last edited by satyric; 10/26/2003 at 09:24 PM.
    set the alert for the loudest ringtone you have, and if you miss it, it will alert you again after 5 min (I think) unless you acknowledge the alert. I'm anal, so I look at my 600 every 5 min so the point is moot. Another alternative would be to get TreoAlertsMgr, a program that nags you like your beeper.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  4.    #4  
    Thank you both! That's what I was hoping for!!!
    TreoAlertMgr for the 600 is still in beta but should be out soon.

PS. SMS will not nag every 5mins without TreoAlertMgr
    Originally posted by imageone
    TreoAlertMgr for the 600 is still in beta but should be out soon.

PS. SMS will not nag every 5mins without TreoAlertMgr
    I've tested it. Don't acknowledge (don't do anything) with your SMS, it will alert you again ONCE after 5 min without TreoAlertMgr. I did not say it will nag you.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I am a doctor and I got rid of my pager. My secretary loves that she does not have to bother me and can send a SMS via the SprintPCS website if something is not urgent.

This is not new new, but pagers can miss pages depending on where you are. With SprintPCS, the page will simply show up when you get a signal. I used to worry if I missed a page, now I do not.

I had my old Samsung 8500 activated as a second phone which I keep as a back-up in my glove compartment. I would love to give out this number as my pager and simply have the calls forwarded to my Treo 600. The problems with this is that the way Sprint's system is set-up, I cannot tell the difference between regular calls to my Treo 600 and forwarded calls from my Samsung 8500. The caller's caller ID shows up either way.

If it is a forwarded call, it runs 10 cents a minute. This started to add up quickly, so I now only give out the Treo 600's number. When someone tries to page me and I answer, they are never disappointed that it is a phone at that moment instead of a pager. If someone knows how to let me change my set-up to let me know if an incoming call is forwarded call from my other Sprint phone, please let me know.

Also, I would suggest changing the voice mail message to say something like; "Hello, you have reached ____. To leave a numeric page, please press two now or you can leave a voice message and I will return your call as soon as possible - thank you." This so someone knows they have the choice of sending a numeric page or leaving a message.

I hope this was helpful.

Russell
    I'm curious, why don't you folks just get folks to send you email at: 1231231234@messaging.sprintpcs.com ?

I understand for those trying to use it as a pager where the originator might not have a net connection, but otherwise the email option seems more elegant...at least to me.

-Rob
    Ismenio,

For just the reason you listed. I have people sending me pages that have a hard time working a pager. I also have people who have to be able to send me pages who might not be near a computer at the time. Of course if they all had treos this wouldn't be a problem.