Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Except, now that I deleted the account, went to the web site, entered all the information for the account there, it refuses to connect saying the its "Unable to connect to server." which has to be its problem since the server is accessable just fine.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Ah, I see. It apparently doesn't trust the train of certificates from the server, so it just "fails."
    Bakaneko - when you say it refuses to connect I assume you mean through the Web interface a that stage and did you click on the new service link in the left hand part of the interface after you configured it? It will probably show two links... the one from the Desktop Connector and the new one you just configured.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I mean when you use the web interface to create a new account... When you hit "save" after making a new account, the system apparently goes out and checks the server (this is confirmed since I happen to be logging packets on that machine and can see all connections). If I try to use SSL, the web page just gives the above mentioned error, and will not save the account. Without SSL, it's OK, and works.

The SSL cert for that server is from an internal corporate CA, rather than Thawte/Verisign/whoever, so that's what its probably having issues with.
    Bakaneko -

So just to be clear.... it sounds like you found the solution (without SSL) to connect through IMAP and now can connect with the Desktop connector turned off? This is a good find if that is the case.

Can you tell us what email server is being used on the back end so we all know?
    Has anyone checked out Aileron:

Corsoft:
    http://corsoft.com/home.asp

Handango:
    http://sprint.handango.com/PlatformP...Id=0&catalog=1

PalmOne:
    http://software.palm.com/PlatformPro...Id=0&catalog=1

Robust Performance

Best attachment support of any Palm OS email application -
    Download, edit or create new documents and send out directly from your handheld device.

Includes support for:
    Adobe Palm Viewer
    Dataviz Documents To Go
    Cutting Edge Software Quickoffice
    Blue Nomad WordSmith

Naturally intuitive interface provides access to most functionality with minimal taps

Automatic push notifications for new mail messages provide always on email.

Automatic mail fetch at user defined interval.

Connect with ANY wireless or wire line network to manage email with attachments

Access any mailbox: POP3, IMAP4, MSN/Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, and more.

Integrated SMTP transport for outbound messages.

Fax message and attachments, fax number lookup from Address book. Optional.

Printing support for Infrared or Bluetooth with PrintBoy. Optional.
    Unmatched security: Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) with 192-bit key.

Best mobile experience with Seamless integration with on device applications like Address book, Date book and Third party software.

5-Way support or PalmOne and Handspring Treo 600 devices
    Jog Rocker support for Handspring devices

Palm.Net wireless support for Palm VII/X and i705 devices
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Originally posted by MobileGhost
    Bakaneko -

So just to be clear.... it sounds like you found the solution (without SSL) to connect through IMAP and now can connect with the Desktop connector turned off? This is a good find if that is the case.
    Yep, it's working without the desktop client now
    (the Business Connection software) without SSL. I suspect that if we were willing to shell out 50 dollars a certificate for the email server (from InstantSSL, which is the cheapest I know of that has a generally trusted CA) then SSL would work too, but I don't have confirmation of that.

Can you tell us what email server is being used on the back end so we all know?
    The IMAP server is a stock UW 2001a install, with the MTA being Sendmail 8.12.8 w/security patches, although that doesn't affect anything other than outgoing mail (which uses SMTP authentication)...

Maybe I can convince management to shell out for a certified SSL cert for sendmail and imapd in the next few days, and I can test the SSL portion again.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Gave Aileron a quick whirl with the demo a second. On the bright side, it was able to use IMAPS with the current certificate just fine.

I had trouble with the control scheme though. I couldn't really figure out how to 5-way control it without using the stylus and screen for some things.
    I've been a Snappermail user since it was in beta. The product is a wonderful, POP, email client. And, they used to be great to deal with - versions / upgrades were plentiful, requests, and bugs were answered and fixed in a timely manner. Now, however, if you get a reply from them it's a standard "we don't comment on upcoming releases and functionality..." They've dragged their heals far too long on IMAP support I feel. I can no longer hold out hoping that they'll support it - it's time to evaluate some of the IMAP clients that you guys are recommending here.

Dunc
    Originally posted by Dunc
    I've been a Snappermail user since it was in beta. The product is a wonderful, POP, email client. And, they used to be great to deal with - versions / upgrades were plentiful, requests, and bugs were answered and fixed in a timely manner. Now, however, if you get a reply from them it's a standard "we don't comment on upcoming releases and functionality..." They've dragged their heals far too long on IMAP support I feel. I can no longer hold out hoping that they'll support it - it's time to evaluate some of the IMAP clients that you guys are recommending here.

Dunc
    I agree totally with your points. I was an early Snapermail user and paid my fee based upon their promise of 1 release per month and IMAP by Version 2.0. That was at Version 1.4 almost 12 months ago. They have become very independent and I sure don't feel I got my money's worth. Yes, their POP implementation is great but I purchased with full IMAP4 compliance (including synch and folder support - THAT is the standard) in mind. Oh well.
    So, what I get from this thread is that there are NO IMAP/SSL clients available for the Treo600 that uses the d-pad, handles attachments, or otherwise works reliably. Am I correct? I have been waiting for a good imaps (secure imap) client for over a year
    One is what One does.
    mwd
    Here is what I know after using these on various Palm OS Pda/Smartphones over the last year or more
    IMAP support

Sprint BC - not reliable, disconnects from desktop etc
    BaseJet - New version is working well on Treo600, however cannot send
    Versamail- Works pefectly, always, but costs 35.00 and I can't get it to auto fetch from 600.

Jim
    Thanks,
    intysf@cs.com
    TreoCentral.com
    Product Page Editor
    Hi Jim...thanks for the scoop on the other applications...have you had any success with Aileron?
    Thanks, Jim. Versamail... I will research this one. Also, I haven't heard of Aileron. Is there a link to its web page?
    One is what One does.
    mwd
    I've read a review of Versamail and went to the web site. There is no mention of imap SSL (imaps/port 993). Does this client support secure imap access? How about Aileron?
    One is what One does.
    mwd
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Huh, I thought that's what my posts covered...

Ah well, to reiterate:

Versamail and IMAP/SSL: Yes, but VersaMail crashed on my Treo repeatedly.

Aileron and IMAP/SSL: Yes.
    I purchased versamail, installed it for my treo600 and it failed. No refund is allowed. Really pisses me off. Anyone wish to buy my license?
    Andrew
    I'm testing Aileron tonight, will report back.

Jonathan
    I notice that BC, Aileron (must be a pilot, chuckle), and other email 'applications' utilize proxy services that require annual subscriptions and/or desktop conduits to process email for reciept on the Treo. I am looking for an email client that implements IMAPs (secure IMAP), does not require a desktop conduit to process the email for delivery on a Palm based device, uses SMTP or ESMTP to send email, and does not require an annual subscription fee; just like your generic desktop email client. I haven't located one that meet these requirements. Are there any Palm-based IMAP email clients that meet these requirements?
    One is what One does.
    mwd
    Howdy,

Two IMAP clients I have used successfully on my 180 are Eudora and One Touch. I never tried attachments with them, dunno if they work on T600, but they both are super for me on my 180.

Just my $.02
    -mbd26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast