View Poll Results: Have you had problems not hearing the other party, especially near beginning of call?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I've had problems similar to those you describe in your post

5 31.25%
  • No, I've never had those problems, and I've made dozens of calls.

11 68.75%
  1.    #1  
    I've had my Treo 600 for about a week now, and the following has happened to me on around 1/3 of the calls I've made: I'll either make a call or receive one, with the phone showing stellar reception, and I cannot hear the other party at all, though they can hear me perfectly.

In fact, there is absolutely NO SOUND coming out of the earpiece (the speaker in the phone's ear position) - no white noise, no cutting in and out - nothing. Switching to speaker phone does not help, either.

However, after anywhere from 30 seconds to 60 seconds of the start of the call, the speaker turns on, and everything is fine. I'm certain that this is not a reception problem - it happened today less than 500 feet from a Sprint tower.

Note also that when dialing a number using the keyboard, I sometimes don't hear the tones that the treo normally plays through its speaker. Clearly this is some problem with the phone's output not going to its speaker(s), for some reason.

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Originally posted by realbrick
    I've had my Treo 600 for about a week now, and the following has happened to me on around 1/3 of the calls I've made: I'll either make a call or receive one, with the phone showing stellar reception, and I cannot hear the other party at all, though they can hear me perfectly.

In fact, there is absolutely NO SOUND coming out of the earpiece (the speaker in the phone's ear position) - no white noise, no cutting in and out - nothing. Switching to speaker phone does not help, either.

However, after anywhere from 30 seconds to 60 seconds of the start of the call, the speaker turns on, and everything is fine. I'm certain that this is not a reception problem - it happened today less than 500 feet from a Sprint tower.

Note also that when dialing a number using the keyboard, I sometimes don't hear the tones that the treo normally plays through its speaker. Clearly this is some problem with the phone's output not going to its speaker(s), for some reason.

Has anyone else had this problem?

see if it everything works fine with the hands-free set.
    i had the problem where the speaker phone just went out and it thought that i had a headset plug in. i had to call sprint and they sent me another because the stores in miami did not have the equipment to test the treo .
    andres
    i have the same exact problem, the earpiece in the unit does not work at all right out of the box thought the speaker for speakerphone works fine. i am returning the unit to handspring for a refund - i will wait another couple of months once the software/hardware issues are ironed out..

always searching for the light..
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I too have experienced the problem where I answer a call and I don't hear a thing, then after about 5-10 seconds it starts working. I assumed it was a Sprint thing and did not suspect the phone. I have noticed on dialing too. Sometimes it can take 30 seconds or more before you hear the ring tones. Again I blamed Sprint rather than the phone. Now you have me wondering.

Anyone with experience with Sprint with other phones notice this? I did try an i500 and it seems to me it did the same thing but I can't be sure.
    John
    Your ear speaker is malfunctioning. My 300 developed this problem after 10 months. I had it replaced and it's been working since - I synced so it has all the same software. Ask for a replacement. That's what warranty is for - defective units.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I had two units and it did it with both a rev A and a Rev b unit. I have one more unit and I will test it. Since the speaker starts working and works just fine after a few seconds or when playing MP3s it sound to me like a system probelm. I will know after further testing in different locations around the country.
    John