1.    #1  
    There has been a lot of discussion about getting the Treo 600 to play mp3’s in a car or on powered speakers. There are two ways that many people listen to portable mp3 players in their car –
    1) The Irock adapter or similar product which plugs in to a 1/8 stereo jack and then broadcasts music to an FM frequency that you can listen to on your car radio.
    2) The cassette adapter that plugs in to a 1/8 stereo jack and then plays CD’s or mp3’s by sending the signal through a cassette adapter into your automotive sound system.

The Problem: If you have the Handspring stereo headphone adapter, it works for most headphones, but doesn’t work for the two items mentioned above in most cases. The Treo 600 apparently needs to recognize headphones or it will NOT send the signal out of the headphone jack. I had the same problem trying to plug in a set of computer speakers/subwoofer into the Handspring stereo adapter – it didn’t detect headphones and wouldn’t play music through the adapter.

A Solution: Get a 1/8 stereo headphone jack splitter from Radio Shack or your favorite electronics store. The splitter has a single 1/8 stereo jack on one end and two 1/8 stereo inputs on the other end so that you can share a signal between two outputs. If you plug a set of stereo headphones or ear buds into one side of the splitter, you can plug a automotive cassette adapter, automotive FM broadcast unit, or powered speakers and subwoofer and it should work. I tested all of the situations yesterday with success. Apparently having the headphones plugged into one side of the splitter was enough to fool the Treo 600 into sending the audio output through the audio jack instead of the phone’s speaker. It looks a little funny to have all of those things plugged into the bottom of the phone, but it seems like a solid solution.

James
    Thanks, dunno if I'd go to those lengths. I guess if you use the same headphones outside the car, it wouldn't be too inconvenient.

However, I lucked out. I got audio, although only on the right channel, using my Sony cassette adapter. However, my girlfriend's CD/mp3 player wasn't working with her Jensen cassette adapter. On a hunch, I tried swapping the adapters, and we got lucky - the Sony works with her CD player, her Jensen works (both channels) with my Treo.

The speakers on my main computer at home work with the Treo. The speakers on a secondary computer work with the Treo only when the plug isn't fully in (and I think it's only right- or left-channel). Very odd. I wonder if this is a hardware or software issue.
    Originally posted by JamesKeys
    There has been a lot of discussion about getting the Treo 600 to play mp3’s in a car or on powered speakers. There are two ways that many people listen to portable mp3 players in their car –
    1) The Irock adapter or similar product which plugs in to a 1/8 stereo jack and then broadcasts music to an FM frequency that you can listen to on your car radio.
    2) The cassette adapter that plugs in to a 1/8 stereo jack and then plays CD’s or mp3’s by sending the signal through a cassette adapter into your automotive sound system.

The Problem: If you have the Handspring stereo headphone adapter, it works for most headphones, but doesn’t work for the two items mentioned above in most cases. The Treo 600 apparently needs to recognize headphones or it will NOT send the signal out of the headphone jack. I had the same problem trying to plug in a set of computer speakers/subwoofer into the Handspring stereo adapter – it didn’t detect headphones and wouldn’t play music through the adapter.

A Solution: Get a 1/8 stereo headphone jack splitter from Radio Shack or your favorite electronics store. The splitter has a single 1/8 stereo jack on one end and two 1/8 stereo inputs on the other end so that you can share a signal between two outputs. If you plug a set of stereo headphones or ear buds into one side of the splitter, you can plug a automotive cassette adapter, automotive FM broadcast unit, or powered speakers and subwoofer and it should work. I tested all of the situations yesterday with success. Apparently having the headphones plugged into one side of the splitter was enough to fool the Treo 600 into sending the audio output through the audio jack instead of the phone’s speaker. It looks a little funny to have all of those things plugged into the bottom of the phone, but it seems like a solid solution.

James
    Yea thanks, I posted that a week ago. Turns out that a Radio Shack Cassette adapter will work with the Treo audio adaoter with out the spitter work around. I think the problem is the Treo adapter and the ground connections. I am going to get out my voltmeter and experiment with making my own adapters and try to isolate the issue. I wonder if the radio shack 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters have the same problem? I am going to start by trying to find the difference in the Radio Shack cassette adapter versus the sony or jvc adapters that I have that will not work without the spiltter trick. Stuff like this just bugs the crap out of me, and cuts into my sleep.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I bought the radio shack adapter. I had to to trim a little bit of the rubber off the tip so it fit nicely.

My generic car cassette adapter did not work. I went to radio shack and test their car cassette adapter and it worked good. In addition I test IROCK and it works good as well.

I ended up buying the IROCK since me girlfriends car only has a cd player.
    hi...please help... I bought the radio shack cassette adapter and the plug is too big for the treo's line in... did I buy the wrong one? or was I supposed to buy something else.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    you also need to buy an adapter from radio shack or handspring.

If you buy the radio shack adapter then you will need to cut away some of the black plastic.
    Does the IRock sound decent for any of you? I've got one and it sounds absolutely horrible--so horrible that I rarely, if ever, use it.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    The IROCK is not as good as a wired connection. But, it does sound fine to me. Have you tried different frequencies & fresh batteries? Try putting it next to your radio.

I will occasionally get interference when I drive. However, I use mine all the time and love it.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I also was looking for a way to play MP3s from my T600 in my car. I have a CD player so cassette adapters are out of the question. After reading this post, I researched the irock. I found on their website that they have two models - the 300 and the 400. The main difference between these two was that the 300 only used batteries, and the 400 can use batteries or be plugged in via the included car power adapter. I read reviews and most said that it worked very well. The few negative reviews made me a little weary of it, but I went out and bought it anyway just to see what the fuss is all about. It was relatively inexpensive. At Radio Shack, they only sell the 300. I didn't want to hassle with batteries, and so I went looking for the 400. Online, the cheapest I found was $24 + shipping, making it like around $32. I didn't want to order online because of the wait and also the hassle to return it in case it doesn't work well. Luckily, I went to Fry's and they had a whole bunch of 400's in stock for only $30, the same price as Radio Shack but with the included car adapter. I plugged it into the Handspring stereo headphone adapter and into my T600, turned on my radio to one of the preset stations the 400 used, and used PocketTunes to play some MP3s. To my surprise, the irock worked PERFECTLY. I got full stereo and no static. I don't know why some have experienced the T600 not recognizing the Handspring headphone adapter, but so far I have to say that the adapter and the irock is working great. Thanks to JamesKey for the suggestion.
    I have read the threads about the use of the irock. i have a radio with an auxilllary input for my mps. I have tried using it fo rmy phone and I can hear people just fine through my speakers, but they can not hear me at all. Can anyone help explain why this doesn't work and what i should be doing? Much appreciated.
    Is there a car kit available for the Treo 600 yet? I would think that would be the most elegant option if possible... just thinking out loud...
    patwoods,

There is an option on the Treo website, but it is an external cradle/speaker system. It costs $199. You can go to www.thb-usa.com, the link that is on the handpring website to learn more of how to do a hardwire intall. There is a catch. Handspring owns the necessary cradle and you would have to spend buy the $1999 package, then an additional $150 or so for the harness kit and car talk unit from thb-usa needed to to utilize the phone through your speakers. Much more expensive than the options metioned above. I have spoken with the company and they are negotiating with Handspring for them to sell the cradle as an individual item. They told me that meaybe in a few months after they complete negotiations. We will see.
    the reason some cassette adapters/FM transmitters/speakers don't work and other do is not a wiring issue, but an impedance issue.

the treo does the right or mic signal depending on the impedance it finds on the circuit. i believe that headphones have high impedance so they always work. impedance differs among other devices.
    I got the irock plugged into the Handspring adapter thingy, plugged into my treo, and it works great!