1.    #1  
    Here's a small, but useful tip. If you assign the "Down" button (in the phone app) to "Favorites", then its easier to use. Because once you're in your Favorites, you can continue to press the same "Down" button to get to the favorite you want.
    You're right, that's terribly useful tip. Thanks so much!
    I did somehting simular on mine. I noticed I always was trying to move the 5-way to the right for Favortives. I assigned Contants to the left and Fav to the right, works like a champ for me. I hit the Phone App hot key, then tap three times to the right to call the wife and have many more memorized like that. Good tip.
    I also did something similar. I use the keyguard and so I assigned the center button to Favorites.

Now I just click the center once to deactivate the keyguard and then a second time to get to my Favorites.
    Nice!!
    Yeah, in Favorites, I always go to the right first to find the right page/column, and then down. So I made Favorites the right arrow.

Then I turned on auto-search contacts when you touch a letter key, so I don't need to push anything extra to get to contacts.

Then I made Center be for Apps... yes, there's already a button for that, but I do it often first-thing and have to unlock keys first... so, now I can just double-click Center... I always found myself having to regrip to hit Center and then the home button way down there at the bottom.

I made redial left... it just seems sensible... and with the extra button, I made call log down... which if I am not hitting redial, then I am almost surely going to be running down the list. If I decide I want something else, I'll drop redial and just use Call Log for getting to redial numbers.

So, Web is now up (which is where I think of the Web as being... out there in space ). And up is often the first button I hit on a web page... to get nav-pad focus on the topmost thing.

For Pictures/Camera, I put it as "P" in Favorites... so if I'm using my right hand, press and hold "P"... if I'm using my lefthand, press Option + Phone. I don't use the Camera that often, so that works great for me.

I'm really finding that setup efficient... no stumbling so far... in contrast, I often found the default setup to have me re-gripping or reaching awkwardly.
  7.    #7  
    In case you don't know this one, here is another useful tip. If you like to use "Floating" type events in your datebook, you may notice that you can not specify floating type events on the palm desktop calendar. But actually you can! Just type "##f" (not the quotes) in the note field of the event and when you sync next, the event will show up on the Treo as a floating event. This is such a powerful feature, I'm wondering why the palm desktop software doesn't provide the option when creating an event. Maybe it's a Handspring enhancement only.
    to do these tips?

I'm stumped.

Thank you.
    Go to the Phone screen, then press the menu button. Config options lay within those menus.
    With the Treo 300, you could choose what happens when the lid is flipped up -- it would either remember last app or automatically go to the dial pad. I can't find a way to do that with the 600. Anyone figure that out?

What I want to happen is whenever the power is turned on, the phone app automatically starts, so I can click the center button twice -- once for keyguard and again for contacts (which I assigned to the center button. Generally this is OK now, but if I was last using a different app, this doesn't work.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    How do you turn on auto search contacts?
    Originally posted by NRG
    How do you turn on auto search contacts?
    and

Originally posted by Rosengoo How do you set 5-way navigation to do these tips? I'm stumped.
    Phone button
    Menu button
    Right twice (to select Options menu)
    Center (to select Display Preferences)

Second item is a menu... select "Typing starts Contacts search"

The next check box determines if it puts the key/legend for the 5-way nav on the phone screen.

The rest of the items are the menu settings for the 5-way navigation... one menu for each button... mine are set to Web, Call Log, Applications, Redial List, and Favorites, in that order.

Enjoy.
    You seem to ask for two different things, so its not clear what you want. BUT, I think your Treo 600 does both...

Originally posted by lefish
    With the Treo 300, you could choose what happens when the lid is flipped up -- it would either remember last app or automatically go to the dial pad. I can't find a way to do that with the 600. Anyone figure that out?
    If your phone is "off", press the silver button on the far right (the one with the big light bulb and tiny lock). Then press Center to unlock keys. You will be exactly wherever you were last.

What I want to happen is whenever the power is turned on, the phone app automatically starts, so I can click the center button twice -- once for keyguard and again for contacts (which I assigned to the center button. Generally this is OK now, but if I was last using a different app, this doesn't work.
    It does for me! If your phone is "off" long enough that keys are locked, then pressing Phone button (silver button on far left) should take you to the Phone app (no matter what app you were in before), and pressing Center once will unlock keyguard, and pressing it again will do whatever you've assigned Center to do.

So what happens for you when you do this??
    Originally posted by Brian Stradale
    It does for me! If your phone is "off" long enough that keys are locked, then pressing Phone button (silver button on far left) should take you to the Phone app (no matter what app you were in before), and pressing Center once will unlock keyguard, and pressing it again will do whatever you've assigned Center to do.

So what happens for you when you do this??
    The same thing happens to me, but I'd like to be able to simply press the power button (when phone's "off") to start the phone app. So instead of pressing:
    1) power
    2) center button (to unlock keyguard)
    3) left phone button
    4) one of the 5-ways depending on what I need

I'd like to be able to skip step 3. Then I wouldn't have to take my finger off the 5-way just to start the phone app. Currently, since I'm a lefty, I have to use my (left) thumb to go from the right side of the phone (power) to the middle (unlock) to the left (phone) and back to the 5-way in the middle. When my thumb is on the left starting the phone app, the phone is unstable b/c it's pinched between my fingers and thumb, and is prone to getting squeezed out and dropped. Make sense?

On a related note, it'd also be great to be able to specify which 'view' the phone app starts on. I'd actually prefer my default view to be my Favorites rather than the dial pad. Sigh...maybe in the next software rev.....

-David
    Originally posted by lefish
    So instead of pressing:
    1) power
    2) center button (to unlock keyguard)
    3) left phone button
    4) one of the 5-ways depending on what I need

I'd like to be able to skip step 3. Then I wouldn't have to take my finger off the 5-way just to start the phone app.
    Try this:

1) Press Phone button (that'll do the power thing AND select the phone app)
    2) Press Center to unlock keys
    3) Press 5-way for whatever (your thumb is already there)

On a related note, it'd also be great to be able to specify which 'view' the phone app starts on. I'd actually prefer my default view to be my Favorites rather than the dial pad.[/B]
    Well, you can make Center go to Favorites, then you just press Phone Center Center... and there you'll be with power-on, favorites displayed, and keys unlocked.
  16. LGA
    I had the mail button assigned to Bizcon, now out of the blue it's not.

Stranger still, I cannot get it back. I can go to prefs, select the button for mail, scroll to Bizcon in the list, seemingly select it, but once I click ok, it defaults to applications which is above it or calculator which is below it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

- Laura
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    A bug in Treo 600 won't let you select 2nd app no matter what it is.

You must have added or deleted an application causing it to become the 2nd app in the list.
    John
  18. LGA
    I tried a softreset, and Bizcon was back. It is second in the application list though which is strange that I was able to set it in the first place?

I just need to make sure the "default" button never gets hit.