1.    #1  
    I am having troubles syncing with the treo 300 and the new 10.3 mac os x. Actually before the upgrade handspring support said that I needed to get 10.3 on there and it would work. I've had lots of trouble. I think if I re-installed from scratch then it would work but I don't want to take the time to re-install everything.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to get this to work?

FYI, I upgraded my wife's ibook to 10.3 and then installed the palm stuff and it synced up fine.

Anyone?
    go over to www.macfixit.com and read up there. Seems that some Palm files get installed/moved into the wrong location. If you had previously installed Palm s/w under Jaguar and did an upgrade, you should be OK. If you did a clean Panther install, you need to make the fix.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks but I am not using palm 4.1, I'm using palm desktop 4.0 which is what Handspring makes you use if you are using the Treo.

Know of anything else?

Z
    Folks,
    This mess about not installing on 10.2.8 and 10.3 is caused be the release of Stuffit 8. Anyone who updated to Stuffit 8 and then tried to install Palm Desktop runs into installation issues. The Palm Desktop software is in a stuffit installer format that is overridden by the higher version of stuffit running on the system. If you do not upgrade to stuffit 8 or you upgrade to stuffit 8.0.1. then you will not have any installer issues and Palm Desktop and HotSync will run just fine.
    You can find the Stuffit support update information at the following URL:
    Stuffit 8 Notice
    http://www.aladdinsys.com/support/te...essionid=64792
    This applies to anyone that has UPGRADED to Stuffit 8. It is not a MacOS X Issue.
    BDownes
    Christian Cinema
    http://www.christiancinem
    a.co

Originally posted by zorka
    Thanks but I am not using palm 4.1, I'm using palm desktop 4.0 which is what Handspring makes you use if you are using the Treo.

Know of anything else?

Z
    I backed up my user data and installed the version of Palm Desktop that came with my 600. It's 4.1 and working fine under Panther. Try installing 4.1 and see if that helps.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by BDownes
    Folks,
    This mess about not installing on 10.2.8 and 10.3 is caused be the release of Stuffit 8.

While Handspring tech support claimed the same thing this does not solve the problem. I was runing 7.03. Per the recommendation of HS tech support I upgraded to 8.01. They were 100% confident that this would work for me and the guy on the phone just gave me instructions and didn't want to wait until I could walk through this.

So I did the update, nothing worked. Called back to HS support and got some ***** telling me to download Stuffit 6.0 and install it. He was 100% sure this would fix my problem and I said, ok, I'll go along, give me a URL to download 6.0. He couldn't find one.

Now I am waiting for HS tech support to call me again. I now have to call them back, wait on hold, and then they'll ask me the same questions, I will then have to wait a day for a call back from a higher level tech person.

This completely sucks!
  7.    #7  
    I backed up my user data and installed the version of Palm Desktop that came with my 600. It's 4.1 and working fine under Panther. Try installing 4.1 and see if that helps.
    I doubt if this will work, at least I am suspicous being that 4.1 is only released for the Treo 600.

If someone else will reply back that they are using it I will try it. Otherwise I fear it is a dead end street.

-Z
    The most current version of Palm Desktop for Handspring is version 4.0.

Not sure where you are getting version 4.1. And I am speaking of the issue with the Handspring products other than the Treo 600. HS Tech Support acknowledges the Treo 600 WILL NOT work with Mac OS X. They are working on something.

I did the Stuffit solution. And it worked for me. I am now syncing my Treo 270 with Panther.
    BDownes
    Christian Cinema
    a.co

Originally posted by BDownes
    The most current version of Palm Desktop for Handspring is version 4.0.

Not sure where you are getting version 4.1. And I am speaking of the issue with the Handspring products other than the Treo 600. HS Tech Support acknowledges the Treo 600 WILL NOT work with Mac OS X. They are working on something.

I did the Stuffit solution. And it worked for me. I am now syncing my Treo 270 with Panther.
    4.1 came on my Treo 600 CD.
    From the read me on the CD:

"Palm(TM) Desktop software 4.1 for the Macintosh
    **Important Installation Instructions**
    May, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Table of Contents:

System Requirements
    Installation
    Treo Pictures - Limitations for the Macintosh
    Changes Between Palm Desktop Software Versions 2.x and 4.1
    Known Problems and Limitations
    Technical Support"
    Just another data point... Got my Treo Friday. Could not install Palm Desktop (from the CD that came with the Treo) on my Mac running Jaguar. It failed with an error every time.

Saw the advice on this thread to upgrade StuffIt. I had Version 7.x previously. Loaded up 8.0 from Stuffit's site, then loaded and ran the 8.01 upgrader, then rand the Palm installer off the CD again. Everything worked perfectly. Am am now Syncing just fine.

Now if only I could get Vision to provision. I've been getting an "unknown error" on that since Friday when I took it out of the box. Sounds similar to what was happening to the South Florida people a couple weeks ago. For them it eventually just started working, so I just keep trying every few hours...
    Sam M (http://www.abulsme.com/)
  11.    #11  
    Just FYI,

I wasn't able to install or uninstall palm desktop after moving to 10.3. When I did update to stuffit 8.01 it worked, but I still cannot sync.

-Z

ps - i upgraded my wife's iBook to 10.3, installed palm desktop, the the palm desktop isync plugin and I could sync, go figure
    Try this for UNINSTALLING Palm Desktop. The uninstall feature on the installer does not work. So, Handspring Tech Support gave me these instructions. You must log in to your mac as "root". But first must ENABLE root using the NetInfo Manager in your Utilities folder. You can read up on this in the HELP on your Mac.

Here are the Handspring instructions:

Thank you for contacting Handspring Technical Support. We understand that
    you are experiencing difficulties with installing the Palm Desktop software.
    We will provide you with a series of steps to resolve your issue. Please
    follow these steps:

I suggest that you do a complete uninstall/reinstall of the Palm Desktop 4.0

There are two types of uninstalls for Palm Desktop 4.0.

METHOD #1: Typical Uninstall

1. Find the file "Palm Desktop Installer". If you have already deleted the
    installer, just download the Palm Desktop .sit file from Handspring's web
    site again, let Stuffit Expander inflate the download and it will place the
    Palm Desktop Installer wherever Stuffit Expander typically places them on
    your system (for most people, their desktop).
    2. Double click the installer program. When it starts, in the upper left
    corner you will see the option "Easy Install". Click on this drop down menu
    and choose the option "Uninstall".
    3. When the uninstall is done, a bare minimum Palm folder will remain; you
    may trash this. All your data is safely stored away at:
    Mac Hard Drive:Users:<your login user name>ocuments:Palm:Users:<your
    HotSync user name>

This uninstall method is adequate for troubleshooting most problems.
    However, if this has already been done and you suspect a more thorough and
    complete uninstall is required, use Method #2 below.

METHOD #2: Root User Uninstall

1. Enable and log-in as the root user.

Apple Support explains how to do this in the article "Mac OS X: About the
    root User and How to Enable It" which has the article ID: 106290 found at
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106290 (or just go to
    http://www.info.apple.com/ and type in the search number 106290).

Please understand that this is entirely a Mac OS X procedure, so if you have
    any difficulty logging in as the root user, please consult Apple Technical
    Support. After you are done with that, Handspring Technical Support can
    assist you with the Palm Desktop clean up procedure continued below. We can
    e-mail these steps to telephone callers instead of having them phone us back
    again.

2. Browse to Mac Hard Drive:Users:<your log-in user
    name>:Library:Preferences

In here you see the following files which you may trash:
    (a) Any file beginning with "com.palm" (these have full names such as:
    com.palm.desktop.plist com.palm.HotSync.plist,
    com.palm.HS.T.USB.003654b8b82.plist and so on... there are several of them.)
    (b) Palm Desktop Info

3. Browse to Mac Hard Drive:Users:<your log-in user
    name>:Library:Preferences:Apple Help Prefs:tmp:Help Files

In here, trash Palm Desktop Help

4. Browse to Mac Hard Drive:Applications

In here, trash the entire Palm folder which contains such files as Palm
    Desktop, HotSync Manager, Conduit Manager, Palm OS Updates, Transport
    Monitor and others. Just delete the entire Palm folder to get rid of all of
    these.

5. Browse to Mac Hard Drive:Library:CFMSupport

In here, trash "Palm Conduit Library" and "HotSync Libraries".

6. Browse to Mac Hard Drive:Library:Application Support Files

In here, trash the Palm HotSync Conduits and the three transports named
    "PalmConnect", "Serial" and "USB". Handspring's version of the USB Transport
    is 3.0.1.

7. Browse to Mac Hard Drive:System:Library:Extension

In here, trash "HotSync Classic Seize.kext".

8. (Optional step) Browse to Mac Hard Drive:Users:<your log-in user
    name>:Library:Preferences:Apple Help Prefs

In here, trash Palm Desktop Help and HotSync Manager Help. Both of these are
    merely aliases and almost certainly can be ignored.

9. (Optional step) Browse to Mac Hard Drive:Users:<your log-in user
    name>:Libraryocumentation:Help

In here, trash Palm Desktop Help and HotSync Manager Help. As with the above
    step, these are merely alias files, probably irrelevant to troubleshooting.
    BDownes
    Christian Cinema
    a.co

Thanks for posting these instructions from Handspring on uninstalling via root login. I was in the middle of trying to uninstall after the obvious uslessness of the uninstall feature in Palm Desktop, when found your post. It's made it possible to overcome the hotsync problem.

Thanks
    UPDATE - got too excited. Palm desktop installed fine but hotsync is still not working...:-(

I guess the problem is solved. I used to get ACCESS DENIED messaged. I deleted the Palm folder and the same thing happened again, I was afraid that I screwed up the Palm desktop by deleting the folder, but it looks like it was not the case.

I deleted my Palm folder, logged in as an administrator and reinstalled Palm Desktop and the problem is solved.

You can find instructions on how to create/activate "ROOT" access or "admininstrator" acces of Mac OS X Panther here

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106290

I upgraded my STUFFIT
    I copied the Palm Installer (10 - 11 MB) onto a a USB flashdisk
    I activated my ROOT/Administrator access (instructions on the link above)
    Logged off and logged back on as an "administrator" user id "root" and the password you had set.
    I copied the installer from the usb flash disk to my desktop
    Installed the software
    Logged off as an admin and logged back on as myself
    Things seem to work.(fingers crossed)
    Last edited by raghusankaran; 01/23/2004 at 01:33 PM.