Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    as advertised. Waited for battery to go all the way down. Got half a dozen warnings until it shut itself off. Could not power up pda nor radio - dead. Waited a couple of days. Plugged in charger, everything is as it was. No memory loss. Only a couple of third party apps installed at the moment. I would therefore conclude that battery anomalies can be attributed to 3rd party software or instability of the OS.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Originally posted by ChemEngr
    I would therefore conclude that battery anomalies can be attributed to 3rd party software or instability of the OS.
    No. It happens when:

1) Battery is near the bottom line of low-batt warning threshold. And, 2) There is a heavy RF activity that draws too much current.

Even though your Treo passed your test, this could still happen to it. Your test is different than what I've been talking about.

See my above posts for details.
    Originally posted by Fixup

No. It happens when:

1) Battery is near the bottom line of low-batt warning threshold. And, 2) There is a heavy RF activity that draws too much current.

Even though your Treo passed your test, this could still happen to it. Your test is different than what I've been talking about.

See my above posts for details.
    I don't think you should tell me how I conducted My test. I did place calls during this test - before, during and after the battery alerts. I'm an engineer and scientist - I do know how to test hypothesis. I had a 300 before, so I wanted to make sure the 600 will perform. Although I never did get the 300 to fail either. As a process engineer, I always require a failure demo before I start testing for failure. I take this forum's members' words for it. So I do the tests.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I don't think it's a design defect. My Treo 600 starts warning me at 20% or so and gives me intermittent warnings as the battery continues to fade.

After it hits (I think) 3% it gives me a 30 second warning that it's going to shut off and then does. I didn't try to turn it back on at that point, since it was obvious that it was out of juice. I should note that the same behavior has occured both while on and not on a call.

Based on this reasonable and practical behavior on my unit, it might indicate that the original poster was experiencing an anomoly specific to his unit.
    -former
    Originally posted by knoppi

GPRS is slower at the moment (up to 56 kBit)
    If you had the option...would you jump from sprint to Tmobile?
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
  6.    #26  
    As I said, I have seen warnings and controlled shutdowns before on this unit. In the case I described in this thread, however, neither happenned. I think fixup's theory makes some sense. A sudden heavy draw of power could have caused this. However, how could you explain the battery showing 0% after I plugged the unit in?

To answer the question, my digital roaming was off. With it on this could be less likely.
    Its useful to disconnect from datastreams at the moment you do not need a data connection. Snappermail e.g. is able to connect and disconnect itself for checking for emails.
    Well, I suppose it depends on how you use your phone. Since I enjoy instant messaging and getting my eMail pushed to me, my phone would be useless to me if I disconnected from the data network EVER. Indeed, having to turn off data when you're not using it entirely defeats the purpose of having an always-on network.

The fact is that the always-on feature requires battery power, and this effect is exacerbated in low signal areas.

The only thing I find wrong here is that there was no battery warning. Perhaps it's a bug in the eBook code such that the warnings are being masked? I certainly get the warnings often enough...

Marc
  8.    #28  
    My battery level reporting was stuck at 100% for hours yesterday. I finally performed a soft reset and the battery level started to show correctly.

I'm starting to think that the battery level being stuck this way (albeit at a lower level) is what caused the battery use till complete depletion without warning that I saw last week. It would make perfect sense if the system kept thinking that it had high battery and none of safeguards kicked in!
    The only words of advice I could give, are perform a soft reset whenever you sync as well. I had a lot of problems with turbo drain on the Treo 300...I finally got mad and called Sprint. Their tech guy (one of a million I'm sure, but the only one who finally cured me) said that he recommends this every time you sync the phone to the desktop...always perform a soft reset...it keeps strange things from happening! I eventually had to cut a hole in the back of my case because taking it out all the time was a pain.

Good luck!

Sam
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
    Anyone else using an SD Card having battery display and fast drain problems?

I have a SanDisk 512mb.
    Texas

"Science will stagnate if it is made to serve practical goals." --Albert Einstein.
    Originally posted by texas
    Anyone else using an SD Card having battery display and fast drain problems?

I have a SanDisk 512mb.
    I have a SanDisk 256mb card and no battery drain problems. I use the card for mp3's, pictures, and third party applications.
    I have noticed within the past day (had it about a week), that my battery seems to discharge quickly also. Seems like when I am using verichat or email, I can watch it discharge slowly (1% every couple of minutes) through filez. I was wondering if it was a third party addition I put on...
  13.    #33  
    Originally posted by BHarbage
    I have noticed within the past day (had it about a week), that my battery seems to discharge quickly also. Seems like when I am using verichat or email, I can watch it discharge slowly (1% every couple of minutes) through filez. I was wondering if it was a third party addition I put on...
    I don't know if that's considered fast for the CDMA version. My understanding is that internet access is as power-intensive as talking on the phone (not the case for GSM in my experience). If the "couple of minutes" per 1% is more than just 2 minutes exactly, then this would be within the specs of the device.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12