1.    #1  
    Folks,

I ran a few searches and came up empty, both here and via google. I've not seen these two particular issues addressed in depth, so I'd dearly appreciate feedback from T600 owners.

First, a quick word on my e-background. I had a Blackberry for a couple of years, which I replaced with a TMobile Color Sidekick. The BB was great for email, but was downright pityful as regards web stuff. The Sidekick is excellent for both, but its PIM functions live in name only. Indeed, you can't even sync the sucka with your desktop. Thus, I am looking closely at the T600, as I've finally grown tired of carrying 3 devices: Sidekick (web/email), TG50 (virtual electronic brain) and cell. (The Sidekick can be used as a phone, but it's uncomfortable, to say the least).

On the one hand, I sit and read these threads, and all the reviews elsewhere, with Kleenex by my side, to catch the drool. But on the other hand, my AmEx card remains tucked away--- having grown dependent on a Sony TG50 for PIM stuff, and its hi-res screen allowing me to see so much more on screen, I've found it to be a genuine productivity enhancer. It's also one heck of a cool-out, being able to listen to MP3's, via headset, to wind down after the work day. I'm told the T600 is lo-res, yet the screen in super bright, etc. I've not seen too much written about the MP3 sound capability, with or without headset. Tell me-- for those who previously USED a hi-res PIM device as a virtual brain dump (i.e., frequent use throughout the day), is it THAT much of a difference? And what about the MP3 sound-- tolerable, a grrrrr, ok, or what?

My AmEx card and I thank you!
    You are going to miss that hi-res screen.

However, IMHO, the many,many benefits outweigh the costs.

MP3 and video playback is cool, and SD cards are bigger in capacity and a lot cheaper than memory sticks!

Go for it!

Try it for 2 weeks and see how you get on.
    With an SD card reader on my desktop for file transfer, the T600 and Pocket Tunes is a fine MP3 player. Quality on mine is great.

Only complaint:

- The headset adapter thing is silly, but I'm waiting for
    someone to bring it a true set of phone/headphones
    (with working switch, and ideally volume) before I
    plunk down for a 2.5mm jack headphone.

Other non-Treo complaints:

- I haven't found a good PC program for sorting and
    and managing tracks for easy transfer to the SD card
    (i.e. a fake iTunes)

- Given that Napster is WMA, iTunes is AAC, and all of
    the new paid services are using some kind of security,
    I'd like pTunes or another MP3 player to come along
    that supports a broader range of formats than MP3
    and Ogg

- pTunes doesn't respect WinAmp playlists, and it doesn't
    store its playlists on the SD card, so I can't grab one
    off and just edit it on the PC as part of my sync process

Overall, the T600 is fantastic. This is definitely the device
    I've been waiting for.

* Phone/Palm functions are great (although I'm stunned
    by the lack of backwards compatibility from OS 5.2 --
    tons of stuff doesn't work at all, didn't Microsoft solve
    this problem in the mid 90s?)

* Email (biz conn for POP and IMAP, no desktop client)
    is working 90% great ... I'm surprised that it doesn't
    have HTML support, or at least a tag trimming function
    like Iambic

* Camera is very touchy given office lighting conditions
    (and surreally awful under low-light), but daylight
    pictures can be stunning

* MP3 is the breakout fun -- no second device, and if
    you're stuck without headphones, you can always
    play it through the speaker on back (and mine
    sounds great)
    Palm III > Treo 300 > Treo 600.B
    Well,first I want to say that I absolutely LOVE this device! As far as integration,usability,etc. - this thing can't be beat. Having said that,here are my IMHO observations.

First off, I am coming from a high res device as well (Clie). I have to say that the screen is a real letdown as far as resolution. It is very bright, and therefore very readable outside, but I feel a little embarressed whenever I show pictures I've taken with it to other people (especially coming from the A620). Although, when I email the pics, its a whole other story. The pics look surprising good for being taken with a phone. I did however get used to the low res, but my girlfriend is on restriction from showing me pics from her 8100

I know people are going to say that the reason Handspring put a lower res screen in was to save battery life, which brings me to my second gripe.

If they were so concerned about battery life, then why not give us a removable battery!? I know they have a clip on battery for heavy users on their website, but it just seams like a removable one would have made more sense..

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents. Do I absolutely love this thing? YES!! Would I recomend it to others? ABSOLUTELY!! There are just too many great things about the Treo to list...

Hope this helps.

BTW - I'm typing/posting this from my Treo 600 while driving cross country! Well, someone else is driving right now
    i have 2 words.

BUY IT.

you can live with the low-res screen. it's very good.
    Originally posted by bumberbee
    i have 2 words.

BUY IT.

you can live with the low-res screen. it's very good.
    YEAH! - what he said!!!
    Originally posted by hugopoole
    Other non-Treo complaints:

- I haven't found a good PC program for sorting and
    and managing tracks for easy transfer to the SD card
    (i.e. a fake iTunes)

- Given that Napster is WMA, iTunes is AAC, and all of
    the new paid services are using some kind of security,
    I'd like pTunes or another MP3 player to come along
    that supports a broader range of formats than MP3
    and Ogg
    iTunes for both Windows and Mac supports MP3, VBR, AAC, WAV and AIFF. You can also play Ogg Vorbis tunes by adding a plug-in. So this could be the thing you're looking for (it's also a free download). It just depends on whether or not you like the interface.

Worth a try I guess.
    I meant [ that would then play on my Treo, not my PC ]

Thanks, tho for the assist.
    The device is great. I got the 600 solely to replace my phone and to give me a better browser if I need to access the web from an airport or such. It isn't intending to replace my Tungsten T3. In terms of the screen it can't. The T3 will remain my primary handheld since I have a cell phone for work and my T3 is used thoughout the day. I just have the 600 to keep additional information in that my Samsung 5300 couldn't so I don't have to have my T3 with me all the time when I am out of work. The only limitation of the 600 is the screen (although I would like bluetooth).