1.    #1  
    Look folks; I got my T600 two weeks ago. So I think the newness has worn off. I Still love this device even though I try not too. If you (As I have) read through every post your mind will gyrate and pound as the pressure build in yur vains on the issue of whether you should buy now or wait. Then you will find yourself on the PPC sites in the same loop. So you will jump to the Symbian OS7 and then you will see that a new P900 is coming soon. So While waiting for that device you will stumble back here and decide to go with what is proven and attainable now. Then you will become frustrated and waffle over your carrier choices VZ over PCS or should I go with T-mobile meanwhile fall has turned into winter and then spring.

Here is a clue. Scan through the many many post on this board. Most are good reviews; as this one is also. You will find that most complaints are on software compatibility and how-to's for the new features. See for yourself.

Now if you are looking for a perfect device to match everyone of your needs – Design it yourself. NO_THING is perfect for everyone. We are in the 2x’s just look at your car you don’t see old 80s and 90s vintage cars like some of us saw the 50s and 60s vintage cars. Microwaves, TVs everything is made with less durability than the past. When was the last time you took your toaster in to be repaired… I don’t cut HS slack for this but just imagine what the T600 has done is such a small container. And the best thing about it is that is works for 93.75% of the people who use them.

My conclusion
    You will not find a better device at --this-- current time which will match the T600 in Speed, Feature, Functionality, Battery Life and Size. --- NONE! If you want to hold off for something better then you and your Commodore 64 should wait.
    well said and high time someone said it! it is a great unit an dfor all those that want this or that, the bottom line it is not possible at a good $, the t600 is great value for the $ and I for 1 am glad I own it! take care, jay
    I too have been using the Treoo 600 for two weeks now. Since the device has left me with little to complain about, I'm going to second your praise – the device works as a phone, internet and palm platform very well.

I've tested both Snappermail and Verichat and can attest that they are worth buying to augment the already very capable Blazer web browser.
    I've had my T600 for about two weeks and concur with the positive reviews. I am a former 300 user and loved it as well. My overall reaction to the 600 is that it is really useful or as someone more technical might say, utilitarian.

My primary use of the T600 is email, and the thumboard is indispensible for this. I use SnapperMail and love it.

Some of the key benefits for me of the 600 upgrade:

1. Camera -- works great outside. My company sells software to real estate agents, and it's very useful for them to be able to snap a picture and email it in to be attached to the MLS system immediately. On a personal level, I love being able to snap pictures of my kids spontaneously. They may not be the best but they're far better than no picture at all. This is really what I mean by the utilitarian nature of the T600 -- the presence of a camera on a device I already carries opens up new possibilities. I wouldn't carry around or take any pictures otherwise, and the T600 makes it so easy.

2. MP3 -- I'm not an audiophile, so I can't comment on the quality, but just having the possibility to listen to music whenever I want (again, because the T600 is always with me) is awesome. I bought a cheap set of Sony earbuds and dusted off about 20 of my favorite CDs and burned about 30 songs to my 256 SanDisk SD card. I hadn't listened to any of these songs in a long, long time; with two daughters under 6, I get more of the Disney Princess songs than I do of U2 or anything else I might choose to hear. :-) This is the beauty of the 600. I've read lots of posts where people compare the 600s MP3 player to an iPod. For someone like me, that comparison misses the point. I like music but it wasn't a big enough part of my life to make me go out and purchase a dedicated device for it. With the 600, I now have the possibility of hearing and enjoying music in situations I otherwise wouldn't becuase I'm not going to carry all those devices.

My conclusion: Treo 600 opens new possibilities for me because it's all in one.
  5.    #5  
    Keep this to yourself.
    I am a employee for Hand Spring. There is a lot of concern that a couple of people are unhappy with three years of development on the T600. The research group had a big meeting on Friday and I was able to find this engineering spec. drawing for the new Treo60x. Handspring marketing is in a big uproar because the engineers have not gone far enough to add exciting and new features for the new Treo601 phone.
    Here is the engineering sketch.

Shhhh. Don’t tell AnyOne
    Attached Images Attached Images
    93.75%?

please re read the boards. there are plenty of hardware issues.

there is no doubt a blinding euphoria and it is alive and well here, i grant you that.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/25/2003 at 09:59 AM.
  7.    #7  
    eu·pho·ri·a
    A feeling of great happiness or well-being.

Sorry I just wanted to lighten up the board, hey I am not completly happy 160 x160. But by no means is the the trash that mr. reelflint post has advisory says.
    Originally posted by lenman
    eu·pho·ri·a
    A feeling of great happiness or well-being.

Sorry I just wanted to lighten up the board, hey I am not completly happy 160 x160. But by no means is the the trash that mr. reelflint post has advisory says.
    i'm rather pleased with my treo 600, but i do feel for those who are having issues, and frankly i may have a few that i may have to live with, as well.

i do think high tech manufactures can do more to avoid the unacceptable return rates that occur on newly released high tech gear. frankly, i doubt the the treo is no better or worse then most newly released high tech gear, but it still should be unacceptable.

i would highly recommend to those who are having hardware issues to return their units until you have one that functions according to claims and specifications. this should not be caveat emperor.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/25/2003 at 10:20 AM.
    There may be euphoria but it isn't blinding. I use the 600 for getting work done. I'm a business person who wants to be as accessible to my clients as possible. The 600 is the best device I've seen for that to date. All the nay-sayers on this thread and board may talk about gee-whiz features the 600 doesn't have but what the 600 does for me is actually improve my business, and along with my 300 has paid for itself many times over. The screen is a perfect example. Of course it would be nice if it was higher res, but would it actually make the 600 more useful as a communication tool? No, don't think so. So, for those of you thinking about buying a smartphone, consider your objectives. If you want the best possible single communication device, I strongly recommend the Treo 600.
    Originally posted by authentication
    There may be euphoria but it isn't blinding. I use the 600 for getting work done. I'm a business person who wants to be as accessible to my clients as possible. The 600 is the best device I've seen for that to date. All the nay-sayers on this thread and board may talk about gee-whiz features the 600 doesn't have but what the 600 does for me is actually improve my business, and along with my 300 has paid for itself many times over. The screen is a perfect example. Of course it would be nice if it was higher res, but would it actually make the 600 more useful as a communication tool? No, don't think so. So, for those of you thinking about buying a smartphone, consider your objectives. If you want the best possible single communication device, I strongly recommend the Treo 600.
    i use my device entirely for business. let me ask you,

are you satisfied with the battery vibration degree? in a case it can not be felt and there are alarms more quit then the vibrating battery.

i'm not sure what e mail software you use, have you discovered that the sound alarm does not function when the much needed key lock is in play?

please understand this, if you use snapper mail and you need the key board lock, chances are you won't feel the vibration and you will not get a sound alarm.. in other words no email notification.

when you need to use the screen and the phone at the same time, are you happy with the speaker sound on higher volumn settings?

how about the fact that graphitti 1 or 2 does not function on the 600 device?

are you satisfied with the web download speed of the 600 vs the 300, which frankly blows the 600 away?

(on a side not, if your waiting for a g model and your not on an unlimited plan, get on one. you'll otherwise be creamed on the costs. the size of the 600 dowloads are much larger then that of the 300.)

if you use this device as a business tool like i do, you would soon discover that some very important issues remain unresolved.

on the hand, the screen for daylight viewing is dramatically improved over the 300 and the 5 way navigation button is dynamite for business use. the voice dial feature from sprint for $5 a month it great and a device saver for me.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/25/2003 at 11:34 AM.
    Gotta add my $149.99 worth...that's how much I paid...after rebates ( SPrint, HS ) and sales (my old 300). ..

Can't get much better than this. The size, flexibility, features, speed....it's all here in one small unit. But as technology advances....HS will make it even better. I hear a T650 coming???

LOL

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Battery vibration degree -- I feel the vibration just fine on my hip. I use a case from Belkin and the vibration comes through just fine. It may sit differently on my hip than yours.

E-mail alarms -- I don't use e-mail alarms so this is not an issue for me. I receive approximately 100-125 legitimate e-mails a day and have to respond to at least 50% of them. If I were to have an alarm, it would simply be going off all day. For those people who need alarms (e.g., engineers getting warnings about system problems), I can see how this would be an issue; it's just not one that affects me.

Speaker phone -- I've found the speaker phone to be excellent. It's best when it is sitting on a hard surface. I conducted a 1.5 hour conference call the other day from my Treo and no one even noticed they were on a mobile speaker phone, of all things. I may not have experienced what you are referencing, though, as I haven't had the need to turn the volume up very high.

Graffiti -- I prefer the thumb board, so lack of graffiti is a non-issue for me. While I can understand how you or others may prefer grafitti over the thumbboard, my main point in my post is that I don't see this type of personal preference eliminating the productivity of the tool. Both grafitti and a thumb board get the job done and the message to your clients. The difference in speed between the two is likely to be negligible at best.

Web download speed -- I find it adequate. Of course, I would like it to be faster, but I also would like the DS3 at work to be faster. :-) The key for me is using sites designed for handhelds. Going to monster sites designed for desktops isn't satisfactory on any device except a full computer, in my opinion. There's always scrolling or squinting.

In conclusion, while you point out some issues, none of them have prevented me from making the Treo 600 a very valuable tool.
    Originally posted by authentication
    Battery vibration degree -- I feel the vibration just fine on my hip. I use a case from Belkin and the vibration comes through just fine. It may sit differently on my hip than yours.

E-mail alarms -- I don't use e-mail alarms so this is not an issue for me. I receive approximately 100-125 legitimate e-mails a day and have to respond to at least 50% of them. If I were to have an alarm, it would simply be going off all day. For those people who need alarms (e.g., engineers getting warnings about system problems), I can see how this would be an issue; it's just not one that affects me.

Speaker phone -- I've found the speaker phone to be excellent. It's best when it is sitting on a hard surface. I conducted a 1.5 hour conference call the other day from my Treo and no one even noticed they were on a mobile speaker phone, of all things. I may not have experienced what you are referencing, though, as I haven't had the need to turn the volume up very high.

Graffiti -- I prefer the thumb board, so lack of graffiti is a non-issue for me. While I can understand how you or others may prefer grafitti over the thumbboard, my main point in my post is that I don't see this type of personal preference eliminating the productivity of the tool. Both grafitti and a thumb board get the job done and the message to your clients. The difference in speed between the two is likely to be negligible at best.

Web download speed -- I find it adequate. Of course, I would like it to be faster, but I also would like the DS3 at work to be faster. :-) The key for me is using sites designed for handhelds. Going to monster sites designed for desktops isn't satisfactory on any device except a full computer, in my opinion. There's always scrolling or squinting.

In conclusion, while you point out some issues, none of them have prevented me from making the Treo 600 a very valuable tool.
    like many on this board, i may have a unit with a vibration problem. it is pale in comparison to my 300, to be sure.

email alarms i receive every 30 -60 minutes, when the key pad lock is off of course., snapper does not have pure push email, thus, my unit does not ring all day. regardless, in my job it is essential to stay wired. my 300 worked nicely the 600 does not at this point.

speaker phone, one should not have to put the unit on a surface to experience better sound quality, and i believe an excellent rating for the 600 speaker is a far reach to say the least.

a graphitti like feature is available on every handheld of value. the treo 600 should be no different. it's an option that the micro key board can not replace for many.

web download speed is not an issue, as you say, if your happy with eliminating most of the web. this is not a option in my job nor should it have to be.

i stepped up from the 300, the 600 is no doubt a step backward in some important instances. however, i can see why your satisfied. the issues i speak of don't seem to be, for the most part, applicable to you. trust me when i say, however, there are many users to which they are.