Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was told very interesting info about an upcoming GPS system, that like the Igolf unit will plug into the SD slot, but unlike the Igolf unit will have onboard internal memory, so we will not be giving up our extra momory when we change from sd card to GPS unit. It also will be designed from ground up to make use of Mapopolois new VOICE PROMPT technology, which the Igolf ships with older software.

Furthermore, additonal memory space will guarantee enough room for maps, voice promt and other software from Mapopolis. It will also be designed once the T600 is for sale that we will know for sure that it works with the T600 while allowing that all of our other software will also be working!

In addition the Igolf ships with Mapopolis' older software without voice promts, there is some question of how well the system for voice prompts will work with mapopolis' latest software and voice prompts as it was not designed for the older of Mapopolis' software.

Right now the Igolf unit is very close on using the T600's onboard memory along with that of other software that MUST be kept on the T600 for it to operate properly. I was told that it is cutting it close with T600 unboard memory.

The unit I am speaking of should hit the market is 5 to 6 moths and should nopt require additonal wires, which is the same for the Igolf unit!

I for one will wait the few months!

Take care, Jay
    Sounds cool. Where'd you hear about it? Do you have a URL we can check out?
  3.    #3  
    Hi, no i do not, I was told this by Mapopolis, as I called them to see if the latest version of Mapopolis along with mapopolis with voice promts would work with Igolf's unit. I also wanted to know of there was room for Mapopolis' software for areas of local interest, hotels and gas stationsetc, on the igolf unit or would that have to fit on the t600 internal memory that isn't being used by othersoftware. It stands to reason that other forms would come up with an improvement over Igolf's idea or "the mouse" unit which has wires!

What I am looking for is as follows. Let's say I have to go on a trip to Vegas, where I have never been before or Boston where I ahven't been to in years and I do a walking tour as well as using the car, I want to have info of the local area and voice promts for when I am driving. In my opionion if you are alone in the car voice promts are the only way to go, since you do nto need extra distractions of looking at a PDA while driving, esp. if in an area you do not know or know well!

take care, Jay
    I look for the conveinance of the small card. But with my palm 5x I had the GPS unit that attached directly. It worked well outside of my car, but inside the receoption was terrible unless I put it right next to my windshield. This doesnt work.

I will probably get a GPS unit that has a cable that allows for the antenna to sit on my dash, so that I can get reception nicely.

just a FYI.
  5.    #5  
    that is why I will return it if it doesn't work! providng it goes up 4 sale in the 1st place, take care, jay
    I would buy a t600 just for this gps unit if it's all for real (especially the voice prompting)
    A couple of things...If you mainly want a GPS for in-car usage, I'd suggest keeping your SD slot free and getting a"mouse" style GPS that will connect to the Treo's serial port. These are good because you can position the GPS "mouse" right under the windshield while keeping the Treo mounted where you can see the screen. The "mouse" that Mapopolis sells also has a car cigarette lighter connector so that you can charge your Treo at the same time. Mapopolis Navigator offers voice navigation. The GPS mouse and Navigator bundle should end up costing around $210, based on prices I've seen for the Tungsten package. An SD solution isn't ideal because GPS is a satellite technology and, as such, your GPS antenna really needs to have a clear view of the sky. Obviously, if you want/need to use it for hiking, etc. a "mouse" solution may not work for you. I'd still check to see if this new SD GPS has an external antenna connector and, if so, make use of that.

A couple issues if you're interested in the serial mouse solution:
    1) I checked with Mapopolis support (they have a forum at gpspassion.com) a couple weeks ago and they confirmed that there's a problem with running their Navigator software on the Treo 600.
    2) The mouse/Mapopolis bundle that is currently sold for the Treo doesn't come with the voice-navigation version of the software, as the older Treo couldn't do that. You may want to email them about upgrading to the "Navigator" version of the software ("Navigator" is the one with voice prompting).
    3) GPS software technology is sorely lacking on the Palm OS compared to the PPC. At least Mapopolis now offers voice navigation, but it should be noted that the way their software handles maps can be cumbersome. You need to have all map data that the software needs to use stored in local memory. You can store the maps on an SD card, but you'll need to manually move them to local memory before you can create a route that makes use of that data. Map files are broken out by county.

Enjoy! I recently bought a cheap GPS mouse and hooked it up to my ancient iPaq PPC. It's a lot of fun. I did it right before a trip to NH and it worked great. My trial expired and I don't really need it that often day to day, so I haven't gotten around to buying the GPS software yet. I'm also not sure which GPS software I want and if I want to use a PPC for it or a Palm OS device (I'm still mulling over what my next PDA(s) will be).

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  8.    #8  
    Hi, i am still looking for something that is can easily be used in the car or walking so the wire and mouse bit is not for me. I am eagly waiting to c what turns up, take are, jay
    I use a navman GPS Jacket for my Ipaq 3900 , and it has a dashmount , it worked very well even in heavy clouds. i have about three software packages for it , one is smart ST pro with voice navigation and mapopolis with voice navigation ( it works great) and tomtom which is a little unexceptable.

i use the ipaq only for navigation.

i have my Treo 600 for all other things. Pocket PC is only good for graphics and fast rendering, beyond that it is a useless peace of crap.

when bluetooth comes for os 5 , then you might buy a GPS for bluetooth and feel free to leave the gps mounted in the car. and the bluetooth card should have memory builtin to take the maps in. i tried mapopolis on the treo 600 it was kind of cute and nice to have a place guide and a street map on demand in your pocket, soon this map will talk back to you when it gets it's navigation from the gps.

just wait or go get the ipaq (old one) plus the Navman (Good software and great built in antenna)

10.    #10  
    Hi, how well do the voice promts work? It would be the same navigato software with voice promts that you are using now, only will work with the treo!

I got this directly from mapopolis, so I am willing to wait, the igold unit will definately not have voice promts, so I will pass on it. take care, jay
    the voice prompts work very well on the PPC , can't try it on the Treo 600 because it does not have q gps device connected to it, but there is an option for it. unless you have a serial gps that connects to your treo 600.
  12. purpleX
    route finding and voice direction on treo600? This I got to see. The T|T proc is already notoriusly slow doing path finding. And now we are talking t600 processor doing road navigation? This while at the same time being mindfull of incoming phone too? It barely has enough power to take a picture! lol

.... oh yeah. I can see it all now. People are going banana over why treo600 doesn't come with that useless new fangled thing called multitasking on top of 400mHz.

Get over it folks, the thing is a cute organizer, not a PDA. It'll take expensive and conveluted hack to do what you want it to do. All those haughty talk about "who needs such big memory space, fast processor or large screen" are finally catching up.

Obligatory pot shot: Hey maybe that thumboard will make GPS work better. ooohh... thumboard.
  13. purpleX
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Enjoy! I recently bought a cheap GPS mouse and hooked it up to my ancient iPaq PPC. It's a lot of fun. I did it right before a trip to NH and it worked great. My trial expired and I don't really need it that often day to day, so I haven't gotten around to buying the GPS software yet. I'm also not sure which GPS software I want and if I want to use a PPC for it or a Palm OS device (I'm still mulling over what my next PDA(s) will be).
    ancient iPAQ can do it with ease, but most new POS models have difficulty doing it? hmm...

Lucky you didn't spend money buying expensive Visor Prism around the time of that ancient iPAQ is released eh? Or you'll be holding a paperweight instead of a functional road navigation device.
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    I got this directly from mapopolis, so I am willing to wait, the igold unit will definately not have voice promts, so I will pass on it. take care, jay
    I don't know anything about this igold unit you speak of, but I can tell you that the voice prompts are a function of Mapopolis' Navigator software which runs under OS5. Any OS5 device capable of audio (which is basically everything except for the new Zire 21) should be capable of handling it. I think the current bugs with Navigator on the Treo 600 has to do with Handspring's choice of 160x160 resolution. Mapopolis expects to address these issues soon.

Scott
    Originally posted by purpleX
    route finding and voice direction on treo600? This I got to see. The T|T proc is already notoriusly slow doing path finding. And now we are talking t600 processor doing road navigation? This while at the same time being mindfull of incoming phone too? It barely has enough power to take a picture! lol

.... oh yeah. I can see it all now. People are going banana over why treo600 doesn't come with that useless new fangled thing called multitasking on top of 400mHz.
    Here's what one user had to say when I asked about Mapopolis on Palm OS5 vs the PPC on the forums at gpspassion.com:
    By coincidence, I own both an iPaq 3630 and a Tungsten|T. Grapically the look on the iPaq is better, but recalculation speed and accuracy is just the same, or even faster on Tungsten. I have only tested for a short while with the European NC maps.
    You can read the full thread here:
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...?TOPIC_ID=4043

Honestly, voice navigation is the killer feature for GPS (if you mainly want it for the car), and is more important than a high-res display, IMO. I took my trip to NH and only looked at the screen occassionally, mainly wanting to double-check the street names it was telling me to turn on to because the voice navigation doesn't speak the street names (it just says "turn right in 300 feet").

But why am I even responding to you?

Scott
    Originally posted by unix-master
    i use the ipaq only for navigation.

i have my Treo 600 for all other things. Pocket PC is only good for graphics and fast rendering, beyond that it is a useless peace of crap.
    I'm not sure I disagree. My old iPaq 3630 has been revived for navigation purposes and it works great for that. In fact, its reflective screen is actually better than the modern transflective screens for visibility in direct sunlight. OTOH, I tried downloading the latest version of Nyditot and MultiIE yesterday to see if surfing the web in landscape mode was doable and found it to be a buggy, frustrating hack-job.

Scott
  17.    #17  
    Perhaps part of the issue here is the fact that it seems to me, Purplex has been negitive toward the T600 all the way thru. I told everyone what I was told by mapopolis and the are sure it is posible and will happen in a few months. I have to believe them, as they went out of thier way to make multiple long distance phone calls researching this for me. Why would they lie or mislead me? take care Jay
    Ps G-d knows I am a horrible speller, but the company making the GPS unit that they are taking orders for already is Igolf, not I gold and according to what i as told is not being release this minute, in spite of what they tell you on Igolf's site. Also from the way Scott has worded one of his postings, I am not the only one who seems to think that Purplesx is being so totally negitive about the t600!
  18. purpleX
    Well, it doesn't look like it's going to survive the little pressure does it? The short coming start to show.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    Well, i don't know about voice prompts, but Mapopolis software worked very well with springboard based GPS units on my old visor(s). I tested other GPS software solutions and they were all easily able to track me, in the car in most positions, in airplanes (if I got a window seat and was lucky), on a cruise ship anywhere on deck. It was exceptionally fun to track the ships progress across the Caribbean .

For car navigation, proper placement of the GPS unit is somertimes a little difficult, but I usually had no trouble with either of the two different Springboard-based units, no matter how they were oriented.

The screen size is small for use by the driver while navigating. Heck, I don't even like it when people talk on their phones while driving. It worked quite well for the passenger navigating or while on foot ...or on deck

I'lll definitely be looking at the GPS units after I get my 600. Broiwsing last night revealed that Matsu****a (hmmm... treocentral thinks I said a bad word there...), aka Panasonic, is the original company producing the SD-slot GPS

http://www.akibalive.com/archives/000258.html
  20. purpleX
    Originally posted by Scott R
    [B]Here's what one user had to say when I asked about Mapopolis on Palm OS5 vs the PPC on the forums at gpspassion.com:

You can read the full thread here:
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...?TOPIC_ID=4043
    So it is confirm then, mapopolis on PPC is faster. 3630 is the first PPC model released 3 years ago. It is two generation OS before most recent releases, and it compete handily against T|T using the latest POS 5.0.

(In case you have the sudden urge to argue there is no speed difference between 3650 and 2k3 machines, generate CPU index comparison)
    http://www.softspb.com/products/benchmark/compare.asp)

But why am I even responding to you?
    I don't know, for the same reason you are buying a $99 serial GPS for 3650 instead of POS peripherals probably?

so you think this treo600 is going to survive same price/feature comparison?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast