Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. purpleX
    Originally posted by jaytee
    Well, i don't know about voice prompts, but Mapopolis software worked very well with springboard based GPS units on my old visor(s). I tested other GPS software solutions and they were all easily able to track me, in the car in most positions, in airplanes (if I got a window seat and was lucky), on a cruise ship anywhere on deck. It was exceptionally fun to track the ships progress across the Caribbean .
    tracking is different than directing and rerouting. A tracking map wouldn't know what to do if a car is missing a highway exit in address to address routing. A lot of very simple gadget can do tracking, even one of those match pack GPS for biking.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    So it is confirm then, mapopolis on PPC is faster.
    I know you have trouble spelling and making any sense, but I didn't realize you had so much trouble reading as well. Here's that quote again (this time with bolded text to help you out):
    By coincidence, I own both an iPaq 3630 and a Tungsten|T. Grapically the look on the iPaq is better, but recalculation speed and accuracy is just the same, or even faster on Tungsten. I have only tested for a short while with the European NC maps.
    (In case you have the sudden urge to argue there is no speed difference between 3650 and 2k3 machines, generate CPU index comparison)
    Yeah, you'd think that, but then I guess you'd be wrong according to this other quote from gpspassion.com:
    anyone else finding their Ipaq 2215 slower than say a Ipaq 3650? at twice the speed it should be twice as fast I would figure. It could be just the latest build because I never noticed the slow down before I put last weeks latest build on my Ipaq. But the x2 zoom chugs, the find address is unbearable, and the loading maps is slower than I remember but the old 3650 in my Jeep is running lika achamp wuth the same build?
    Full thread here:
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...?TOPIC_ID=3434

I don't know, for the same reason you are buying a $99 serial GPS for 3650 instead of POS peripherals probably?
    Nope. I bought the Radio Shack DigiTraveler "mouse" GPS because it was: a) Clearance priced at just $30, and b) Came with cables for not only my iPaq but also the Palm UC and something else (and you can get cables for other PDAs online). I own two PDAs currently, a Treo 300 incapable of running the voice-prompt version of Mapopolis' Navigator and my old iPaq 3630 which could. It's a simple case of economics. By buying the DigiTraveler, I can use it with whatever PDA I end up with a month from now. Of course, the iPaq 3630 makes a great dedicated GPS device, so I may confine it to that and use a Palm OS device for more serious day-to-day business.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  3. purpleX
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Full thread here:
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...?TOPIC_ID=3434
    interesting post, recently made and has not been answered except short confirmation that mapopolis team are working on this 'known' problem. On news thread nobody seems to complain about h2210 taking long time to find route, just the usual bug report on map tracking.

There is no speed problem reported on Axim review either, except the usual map and tracking related issues.
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...p?TOPIC_ID=569

This review also doesn't report any speed problem either. (tho not sure how it will run on 3650 or Tungsten)
    http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=64&page=3

Barely anybody giving feedback for Palm OS version of the latest mapopolis build. I guess the users are just satisfied silent majority. (or probably not many people can afford a $300 BT GPS)

Of course, the iPaq 3630 makes a great dedicated GPS device, so I may confine it to that and use a Palm OS device for more serious day-to-day business.
    I think you should leave serious software apps to the iPAQ and let let Palm does the simple organizer stuff, plus tap-and-hold can be very a bit tricky for most 'business' type. I am surprised you even own a device with grafitti and HWR . Wouldn't non thumboard be too complicated to handle?

PS. yes I know you are excitied with that $30 mouse GPS deal. You told half the net announcing you found that deal. I guess $300 GPS receiver with limited compatibility is not your cup of tea afterall eh?
    Obviously you didn't get enough of them.
  5.    #25  
    Quote removed by Septimus - we hate flames here (quoted was a flame, not this post). Thanks to this poster and the next for helping out.
    FUNNY NOT! wierd, rude, strange and asinine, Yes!
    Sticking ot the issue without a doubt...No!
    Look people. We are not children here (even though someone forgot that). Please leave your flames at the door.
    blah, blah, blah
    I believe you made some claim that Palm devices were slower at GPS than PPCs. You spent a good deal of time trying to pull out threads at gpspassion that support that there aren't any slowness issues with PPC 2003 devices (other than the iPaq), but failed to support your initial nonsensical claim.

I think you should leave serious software apps to the iPAQ and let let Palm does the simple organizer stuff, plus tap-and-hold can be very a bit tricky for most 'business' type. I am surprised you even own a device with grafitti and HWR .
    Have you got anything non-inflammatory to add to this discussion?

Wouldn't non thumboard be too complicated to handle?
    I'm not a supporter of thumbboards because they're less complicated to learn than Graffiti. I'm a supporter of them because for wireless data devices it's faster than any other input method for medium-to-long text entry (save a foldable QWERTY keyboard). I'm actually a big fan of Graffiti. But since you obviously spend way too much time tuning in to everything I say everywhere I go, you should know that already.

Scott
  8. purpleX
    Originally posted by Scott R
    [B]I believe you made some claim that Palm devices were slower at GPS than PPCs. You spent a good deal of time trying to pull out threads at gpspassion that support that there aren't any slowness issues with PPC 2003 devices (other than the iPaq), but failed to support your initial nonsensical claim.
    I have no idea why you even bother pressing this question, because you obviously know the answer already.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...?TOPIC_ID=4043

POS is having problem with map, let alone consistenly performing faster gps routing calculation. If iPAQ is having problem with LA map, POS would be long gone comatose before even loading the entire map let alone calculate route faster. That's why you only show that particular thread discussiong northern european map. ( yeah now that's a densely populated area with large map) And wonder of all wonder why you went banana and scream irrelevant when given quick impression of PPC GPS situation

more POS GPS capability comment
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...?TOPIC_ID=4312
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...?TOPIC_ID=3486
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...?TOPIC_ID=2893

And remember GPS is a complex piece of equipment, a single post of "If i remmember 3655 is faster than my h2210" doesn't really mean anything until confirmed or benchmarked. (ie. it's the GPS serial port used by mapopolis)
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...?TOPIC_ID=2467

Have you got anything non-inflammatory to add to this discussion?
    I don't know, do you? But obviously you are rather happy to have a single vague situation and ready to make the leap thinking POS is faster than PPC when doing route calculation.

so tell me again, why you are not using T|T to do GPS routing, despite my empty claim that PPC perform route calculation better/faster? mmm... well I am confuse now.

I'm not a supporter of thumbboards because they're less complicated to learn than Graffiti. I'm a supporter of them because for wireless data devices it's faster than any other input method for medium-to-long text entry (save a foldable QWERTY keyboard). I'm actually a big fan of Graffiti. But since you obviously spend way too much time tuning in to everything I say everywhere I go, you should know that already.
    Don you think it's wee bit narchisistic to think somebody actually 'tuning in' to everything you say? lol. That was just a random palmie head stereotype. You fall for it.
    Purplex -

Which make/model of the following do you own and use daily now?

1) PDA
    2) Phone
    3) GPS unit
    4) Camera
    5) Bluetooth or wireless headset

I use a Treo 600, Casio M20 and will get a foneGear or Jabra.
    Not decided on GPS yet till they are a lot cheaper!

Obviously a bigger screen is better for GPS, but if you take that conclusion forward a Nexio or 17" laptop would be ideal .

I think T600 is a fantastic compromise on screen size and usability, but obviously does not suit everyone.

I don't see why GPS would be a problem if a T|T can do it.

I agree an old iPaq would be better for GPS but I would rather just have one device if the Treo 600 is capable.

The Pocket PC vs. POS debate is very old and tired.

They are just 2 different ways of getting similar things done. One might suit you for some things, but not for others.
  10. purpleX
    I agree an old iPaq would be better for GPS but I would rather just have one device if the Treo 600 is capable.
    If I am not mistaken we are tryng to determine if treo 600 is capable of doing usable auto navigation or not by noting what is POS PDA capability and the more advance PPC capability.

I am sorry if you don't like the conclusion. But then again I might be wrong. So until somebody has a treo running road nav apps with GPS, I am afraid all we can do is extrapolate capability.
    I've sent Mapopolis an email asking if the Treo 600 works with their software and hardware.

Purplex - I take it you haven't decided which singular pda/phone/gps unit or camera you like. So which ones are you using daily?
  12. purpleX
    Which one I like for all in one device? XDAII of course.

which one I use? one of those disposable nokia. I don't call people, and computer terminal is all over the place where I work. so...

PS. mapopolis hardly recommend Z71 as GPS platform, I can't imagine they would whole heartedly support treo600. But we'll see their answer.
    so tell me again, why you are not using T|T to do GPS routing, despite my empty claim that PPC perform route calculation better/faster? mmm... well I am confuse now.
    I already explained it to you. It's because I'm a cheapskate and I already owned a Treo 300 and iPaq 3630. The Tungsten T isn't my ideal device right now, so why am I going to shell out $400 for a T3 just to do GPS?

Don you think it's wee bit narchisistic to think somebody actually 'tuning in' to everything you say? lol. That was just a random palmie head stereotype. You fall for it.
    I guess I can't answer that because I don't know what 'narchisistic' means. What does that word mean on your planet? In America on earth, there isn't any such word. In any case, so when you said this...
    PS. yes I know you are excitied with that $30 mouse GPS deal. You told half the net announcing you found that deal. I guess $300 GPS receiver with limited compatibility is not your cup of tea afterall eh?
    ...you were making a blanket stereotype of all Palm OS users and not specifically demonstrating that you spend far too much personal time following my every move? OK.

Scott
    do you know that i ran the mapopolis on the Treo 600 TODAY ! and it worked very well !

It does not support the treo 600, how ? did you try ? did even think about it ?

let people talk about the subject and give something meaningful to the discussion, other than saying this is good and this is bad, well all you say this is all bad.

why don't you try and not use any device at all and you will be happy. just use the payphone.

wow, what a hijacker.
  15. purpleX
    There are two version of mapopolis, the map and the navigator.

The map has been around since eary day of IIIc. It can use GPS to plot tracking data. Navigator on the other hand is a recent release.

ancient iPAQ can do it with ease, but most new POS models have difficulty doing it? hmm...

Lucky you didn't spend money buying expensive Visor Prism around the time of that ancient iPAQ is released eh? Or you'll be holding a paperweight instead of a functional road navigation device.
    I'll take exception to this! I had a Visor Prism ($80 on ebay) and Magellan GPS Companion for this ($50, clearance at staples). Worked great as GPS. I added an aviation package and used it in the plane, worked fine.

Yes, new the Visor Prims was over priced (and the Treo 600 isn't?), but the technology worked as advertised.
    Dear Valued Customer:

If you do not already know, Southern California has been devastated by the outbreak of fire the past few weeks. San Diego, in particular, was hit especially hard and fires continue to burn throughout the county.

We at iGolf Technologies have not experienced any personal or property damage, but these recent events have impacted our normal business operations. As you can imagine, either directly or indirectly, everyone in this area has been affected. The area around our office building was evacuated. A blanket of smoke and ash covered most of San Diego, which made simply being outside extremely dangerous. Businesses and schools were closed and entire neighborhoods were leveled by the fire.

Despite the devastation, we are making every attempt to resume normal operations. We promised you shipment of the SD GPS Package by November 15th, 2003 and we are trying to honor that promise. However, if we are unable to ship your SD GPS Package on time, I ask for your patience and understanding. Hopefully things will return to normal soon and shipment to you will not be delayed. You will be contacted again shortly with instructions on how to complete your purchase of the SD GPS Package.

Thank you for your patience. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Dan Galatro

iGolf Technologies
    If I do a search for "SD GPS card" on google, another card from Pharos shows up - seems to be also in development stages. Anyone knows more about it? Like, what kind of software could it be used with? There's no mention of it on Pharos's website.

Cheers,
    Daniel.
    anyone know if the igolf gps product (mouse or mouse-less) will work when the t600 is mounted in handspring's car kit?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12