Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I did filed the card (Sandisk 266) with a little round shape to fit the phone , and it now fit perfect and no more pop up Thanks

Marc-Andre
    The 32MB Hitachi MMC card that Orange UK GSM Treos get bundled with is flush with the slot.

All my SanDisk cards stick out a bit.

On one unit it seems to be worse than the others, but we'll see how things go with time.
  3.    #23  
    Originally posted by Mr Man
    There was another post where someone actually filed down the top of the SD card until it was flush with the Treo 600. They said that it was clan and there was still plastic on the top. There are pictures at the PDAphonehome site.
    Mr Man
    Meant to get back to you sooner- I went to PDAphonehome com but was unable to find the post that you are referring to. Perhaps you could post a link or more definitive info so that I could check this out further.

Thanks from rainy Connecticut.
    Irv
    I was going nuts with the spring loaded SD slot problem (I was always finding the card half-way out) and today it fixed itself.

I don't know if the two could possibly be connected, but here's what happened... took the SD card out of my Treo, put it in a new SanDisk card reader (almost cried when I saw how fast MP3s transfer through a reader instead of through the Treo itself) then put it back in the Treo...I noticed that it went down further than before and didn't spring up when pressed. Now I need to use my fingernail to pull it out. That is just fine with me, because I'd rather the card be safe inside then to have it always coming out.

Again, I doubt putting the SD card into the reader somehow altered the card physically, but I wanted to describe the scenario exactly as it happened.

Either way, I am thrilled.
    All - I need to clear up a few items that may be short sighted thinking if/when using a file on the SD card:

1) You will most certainly void your warranty on the card
    2) You may actually end up voiding the warranty on the Treo as well if the card does get damaged and thus damages the Treo as a result
    3) If you file the card, you may make it more difficult to remove from other devices that you use.

My suggested tape solution in the other threads has ZERO long term, permanent impact to the card. I do NOT believe that this is Handspring's fault - they designed the slot to a spec and it is obvious that SD card manufacturers loosely or tightly follow that spec, which results in the obvious card length differences between manufacturers.

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ishiffrin

Mr Man
    Meant to get back to you sooner- I went to PDAphonehome com but was unable to find the post that you are referring to. Perhaps you could post a link or more definitive info so that I could check this out further.

Thanks from rainy Connecticut.
    Irv

Here you go:

pdaPhoneHome
    You all should just use PalmPuke! It's a neat little program that will let you add sound effects whenever the SD card is ejected or inserted! It of course won't prevent the card for poping out, but works great and always lets me know if the card comes out!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Question for the card filers...why file? Why not just use a pair of scissors.
    I just shaved the top of my 512MB Sandisk card with a sharp swiss army knife, then smoothed/rounded it up a little with a nail file. Looks like I may have taken it to the limit and actually made it down to the "board" in the low corner - so I stopped and that side still sticks up about .5mm if that. But much, much better. I think I'll carefully paint it to seal it just in case... Don't want any water in there...

I'll tell everyone if it pukes. Then if everyone can send me 10 cents for being the guinea pig I can buy a new one.

Or each of you can send me 10 cents for being out of my mind...

Paul
    OK, so I got tired of that last .5mm sticking out and said, "WTF?" and whittled a little more. Looks like I didn't hit anything important (unless you consider an uncontaminated airspace inside the card to be important).

But the card still works fine. I don't plan to drop it in my fishtank today for immersion testing. I put a little scotch tape (remember that stuff?) across the top to keep the dust out. I'll seal it with a tiny bit of epoxy tonight before painting it to match my silver GSM treo. Then I expect all to be as it should be.

But keep those dimes comin'

Paul
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    You all should just use PalmPuke! It's a neat little program that will let you add sound effects whenever the SD card is ejected or inserted! It of course won't prevent the card for poping out, but works great and always lets me know if the card comes out!
    Hmmm. My T600 already makes a sound whenever the card pops out. Are you saying this app is useful for customizing that sound?
    My card also popped out when I put it in and I was using the neat tape trick (that worked btw), but when my new Bellagio case came, it corrected the problem. The snap covers the card, so the card no longer pops out, nor does it sound when I touch the top of it anymore. Ta Da!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I don't think a locking mechanism would've worked because it would make it too wide. You'd have to have a button to the side to unlock it.

I imagine it's because they ran out of space or maybe the minimum specs. for a sd card would be flush, but the max specs obviously aren't. So it sounds like a compromise because there'd be no other way to release the card without making the mechanism wider.

I like there choice over having to use nails to pull it out.
    Originally posted by derek985

Hmmm. My T600 already makes a sound whenever the card pops out. Are you saying this app is useful for customizing that sound?
    yes...just try it out, its freeware...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Whenever I click on either of the download links, I get "The page cannot be displayed"

Kirby
    Originally posted by Exciter

Whenever I click on either of the download links, I get "The page cannot be displayed"

Kirby
    Try this:

http://www.pdassi.de/product.php?prod_id=9268

Originally posted by ido
    sounds like a defective spring in the sd slot. mine stays in just fine. just a thought.
    I agree.

I can't believe all this talk about filing down cards! I just received a sandisk 256MB card and it barely sticks out of the slot. It sticks up just enough to grab it out with a finger nail.
    Well, the popout problem does exist. Last night, I thought I left my Treo all safe and sound and charging. This morning, to my horror, I found my 512MB sandisk SD Card on top of the microwave oven.

This was an unusual spot for my SD card....since it normally resides in my Treo! As I walked closer i saw the most terrible thing. My SD Card had bite marks on it and it was mishapen a bit. Seems my new golden retriever had found it on the floor the night earlier AND while he was hungry.

Here is a look at the result. And, no this was not taken by my treo600. It was taken by an even worse digital camera. The card is ruined and will not work on either the reader or the treo. Almost could not fetch it back out of the Treo after testing it. Alas. Must have fallen out last night sometime...without(obviously) my knowledge. Where the hell is my Bellagio order??

Goodbye $200 SD Card! When is the 1GB coming out???

Andrew
    here is the pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    last pic..
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast