Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Advice for 600 buyers-

Wait until the end of the products life. Then you could safely buy a unit and it will semi work. I pre-bought the first Treo and I got burned then by HS. I returned it and waited until 6 months ago to jump back on and try the 300. The 300 has been great despite out of range resets ( i think the 600 does the same thing). I also believe that Sprint places allot of pressure on HS for quality control.

So, wait and/or buy a 300.

reelflint
    I have owned two Treo 600s, not due to defects, but due to confusion over the Handspring previous owner discount (long story).

Both Treo 600s have worked as well as I could have hoped.
    Advice for reelflint - have you considered lurking? Why not give it a try for, say, the life span of the Treo600? That would be nice.

Also, why on earth are you signing your posts? Did you think everyone would miss your name next to your writing?

Hey, I wanna be reelflint, too! Check it out:

Sincerely,
    reelflint
    Originally posted by reelflint
    Advice for 600 buyers-

Wait until the end of the products life. Then you could safely buy a unit and it will semi work...
    Great advice! I live that way too.

I drive a '78 dodge van that semi works and married a 64 year old woman - she's as big as a semi!

5.    #5  
    Snerdy, you are so clever... you must work for HS or better than that you must be the employee of the month at Sprint???
    Originally posted by reelflint
    Snerdy, you are so clever... you must work for HS or better than that you must be the employee of the month at Sprint???
    Well, thanks. You're wrong (I'm neither clever, nor do I work for Handspring -- I'm just a humble message board attention *****) but thanks anyway. Also, thanks for not signing that one.
    All right now kids....<snicker, snicker>
    I know.. I just love buying technology at a discount because its been superceded by something else.

LISTEN EVERYONE.. never buy something new.. that way no one will ever develop new products!

I always goto the store and buy milk that is set to expire in 1 day (sometimes even already expired) just so that I can save a buck, then I go home and drink a gallon of milk in a matter of hours!

best advice I've ever heard.
    Uhhhh...I'm confused. I SHOULDN"T have bought the Treo600? Damnit! Now I have a phone that's the envy of all my friends, works like a champ, is way faster than my old Treo, AND is just plain cool. God I feel like an *****.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  10. purpleX
    Apparently nobody but die hard treo fans are buying this phone:
    1. there is no marked increased in treo central membership
    2. no significant "I am a tre newbie, need help" type of post.
    3. and the 'who is buying' poll shows surprisingly low of who has one.

boy after all those big hype about treo 600 is about to blow up the convergence world, I sure was hoping to see more bang than these.
    Hmm...I didn't buy a 300 until this past March and it had all of the same deficiencies that the original did. I don't think HS makes many changes to a unit once it's out...my guess is the cost of changes, unless they're going to significantly reduce unit cost isn't worth it to them.

So...other than overall price...why wait? The software bugs may or may not get patched...and everyone should get those anyway...and the hardware bugs will probably be the same from day 1 until the end of this model's life cycle.

But, thanks for the suggestion and I hope your strategy works for you.

...ken
    Originally posted by purpleX

boy after all those big hype about treo 600 is about to blow up the convergence world, I sure was hoping to see more bang than these.
    No you weren't! There is nothing you'd like more than to see the Treo flop.
    Could it possibly be that the GSM version isn't out yet and alot of people use that? Or maybe your version of success is measured in unrealistic terms purple. Or MAYBE your just angry because a month ago you were saying the device would NEVER be out this soon and since you were...oh, what's the phrase...DEAD WRONG you're looking for something else to gripe about? Yeah I think I pretty much nailed that one.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  14. purpleX
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    No you weren't! There is nothing you'd like more than to see the Treo flop.
    Well that's true, but I still want to see a spectacular flop with a bang, not a pathetic whimperish plop.
    i dunno, I see a lot of posts by people with less than half a dozen posts to their name asking questions that have been answers dozens of times already. Plus, wasn't the Sprint website updated just days ago with the Treo 600 now being listed?

Personally, I never understood why people who hate a product so much stick around a board devoted to it.

Give it a little more time, the GSM version of the Treo 600 is yet to be released. I'd say give it 90 days after the GSM model is available on the major US GSM /GPRS networks and that may give you a better picture of the Treo 600's acceptance into the smartphone market.
    No good deed goes unpunished
  17. purpleX
    90 days? Even Santa can't help by then.

Actually, I am a new Treo customer and so are several of my techy friends who have purchased the unit. I am a former 3G phone owner and have owned 3 to be exact: LG 5350, Sanyo 8100 and Samsung A600. I WAS also a die hard PPC owner and said I would not go back to a Palm. But my loyalty is to myself and my needs and the Treo 600 meets these needs.

I went to a local Sprint store (one of the few) that had a demo and tested it for myself. I was BLOWN away. The research + the actual handling of the unit closed the deal for me. This is not to say that the Treo is without problems or bugs, but what tech product works perfectly flawlessly.
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 10/24/2003 at 05:02 PM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Heh...funny. I didn't think it was doing all that bad in the US considering 1) its only been out 2 weeks 2) its only available for one carrier 3) its pretty much only available from online sources or in the sprint store...not yet in major retailers. The phone hasn't gotten significant face time in front of the general public. Really only die hards know about it thus far.

Also, the population of this msg board doesn't represent all treo owners. Incidentally, I'm a 'treo newbie' (having migrated from a kyocera smartphone, and a seperate compaq ipaq). I know a few other people who are treo newbies who bought the phone, but don't frequent this board (yet!!). And I've seen quite a few "I'm a newbie" posts.

I find it hard to believe that even someone who hates handspring/treo would have nothing good to say about the T600. *shrug* I never understood 'techie evangelism'. People treat products and brand names like religions sometimes. Use what works, and whats available. The Treo will be in my pocket until something that fits my needs better comes along.

Finally, I think the word for today is 'troll'. Haha.
    Deacon
    Computer Programmer/Law Student
    T700p <-- 600
    the original poster is all wrong. No reason at all to wait. My 300 was solid, my 600 is even moreso.
    Buy now. You know you want to...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast