Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    i'm glad yours works. there are many here who have had problems.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/25/2003 at 12:46 AM.
    Hey I had 2nd thoughts for paying so much for a Phone. But let me tell you the more you use it the more you loved it.
    Really I found myself waxing just so it would keep its sparkly.
    My only regrete.... Screen 160x160
    But it works and Batery time is great much better than expected.

I'm buying another for my wife...
    lets try to stay on track here.

the original poster has had some serious problems that some don't seem capable of understanding.

i can only attribute there euphoria regarding the treo to them being fortunate enough to have received one that has worked to date.

Needless to say there are many who have not.
    The original poster had a point of view. He thinks that its more important to get the device he wants at a lower cost then to get it immediately. He wants to get a mature device and when he gets it he wants to know every quirk and complaint and the quickest and easiest way to handle that issue. This is a perfectly valid point of view but it is not one shared by all people. The early adopters are quite often the ones that help bring a product to its mature stage of life. They find all the bugs and help iron them out. Not everyone is cut out to be an early adopter. Sometimes its personal or business reasons, sometimes its a bad experience.

These boards are populated by enthusiasts so it is more likely that they would be early adopters. I've generally found you to be an intelligent poster but expecting enthusiasts to accept this idea with grace is unlikely.

If you've been reading this board with an open mind, you would have noticed countless problems. units that won't charge, sd slots that won't hold cards, units that turn on studder for no apparent reason, speakers that sound blown at high volumn levels, unexplained rattles, poor camera quality, constant resets, lousy vibrating batteries,and much more.
    As for your contention that many have not recieved working units, from what I've seen the majority of the problems have been software related due to people installing software that fails to function on the Treo 600. Next I see issues of personal preference where people want the device to do something other then what it was designed to do. After that I see many people complaining about how Sprint implements some aspect of their voice network.

The camera is an issue I find humerous. Its only 640x480 and all the pictures I've seen taken with the camera have been of good quality for what they are. It has no flash and no zoom. It is not intended to be a professional quality camera.

From what I've seen and read the number of real problems have been few and relatively minor. No huge issue that will lead to the devices being returned in droves.

Don't you wonder about the degree of beta testing and resulting quality control after reading about the degree of other peoples problems?
    The only real problem I see that slipped past testing is the SD card slot. If indeed the SD card slot is not positioned correctly and the card ejects itself all the time then that would be a serious issue. Other then that the largest number of problems I've seen mentioned are software issues that more then likely came from use of software that was incompatible with Treo or with OS 5.x or from unfamiliarity with the device.

Some are on their 3rd or 4th Treo 600.
    I admit that I don't read every post. Too much stuff I'm not interested in but I haven't seen anyone post about having gone through 3 or 4 Treos. This would amaze me that they could get 4 units in a row that were actually bad and not user error.

The pace of the high tech race has no doubt led to many premature releases. The Treo 600 may be one.

The high tech industry has been getting away with marginal products in spades. I have a friend who is a director at Best Buy. we have spoken at length about the return rate on newly released high tech componentes. you would be shocked at the degree to which they fail to work properly out of the box.
    Having worked in the Telecom industry I think you might be surprised at how often equipment priced in the high $10,000s to low millions is defective out of the box. That is with all the preparation and special procedures that Telecom companies and Telecom equipment vendors can come up with to reduce the DOA rate.

The Treo 600 appears to be another example, albeit no better or worse, of the low standard of quality acceptance now in practice by the manufacturers and the general public as it pertains to newly released high tech gear.

read the posts!
    For the most part the only people that post their opinion are the ones that have problems. This makes the ones that have problems seem to be a majority of the people out there. Its a misperception that happens often in forums such as this one.

Consumer electronics are not built to withstand any situation possible and there are limits to what any device can take. There will always be issues with durability in real world situations regardless of who makes the product. That aside the complaints I've heard about the Treo do not seem to be major with the exception of the SD card slot problems. When I recieve my unit I'll determine for myself if people are making much ado about something trivial.
  4. purpleX
    Originally posted by Cluemeister
    [B]This message is on Handspring's website today regarding T600 availability:

"Due to high demand, allow 2-3 weeks for shipment."

So purple wants us to believe that the Treo 600 is a flop, that Handspring really has plenty in inventory, but is leaving their warehouses stocked full and delaying shipment to give us the appearance of a successful product.
    They have been doing this treo for 2 years and 3 generations. If HS can't predict demand correctly and have a several weeks backlog, they are in deeper trouble than I thought. I can understand if they are some far east noob doing a debut US appearance. But a silicon valley gadget vet.? Several weeks of backlog and futzing around with launch date don't sound like finely calibrated machine to me. But then again Handspring's trademark is never able to predict demand correct since their first product. They always swing wildly from under estimating to greatly over estimating. First visor, Edge, deluxe, 180, 90, 300, and now 600.

Having a backlog doesn't mean a product is a guarantee longterm blockbuster. It just means somebody fails to prepare for initial demand spike.

regarding treo sales, I believe treo600 doesn't break new customer base. HS is not going to sell significantly more 600 than 300, ie. it's yet another 'early adopter' gadget after 3 tries.

With such acceptance, it's not the earth shattering convergence gadget some poster like it to be.

Improvements like screen brightness, speed, build quality, sd slot, camera (even though it's a mediocre camera), directional pad (best improvement), OS5, mp3 player, and longer battery life make it worth every penny.
    Die hard treo fan's penny probably, but not to somebody who is comparing treo600 against other high end phones. In those category you mentions, treo 600 is not even close for being on top, where its price lies.

You folks can wait if you like, or start carrying around a second generation real convergence device now. If money's not the issue, you're insane to hold off until the next best thing.
    And what makes you think customer will even bother to wait for 'next best thing' from handsrping?
    > This message is on Handspring's website today regarding T600
    > availability:
    >
    > "Due to high demand, allow 2-3 weeks for shipment."...

My response to THAT elsewhere:

-- http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?action...sid=1600905280

Be Careful Out There! They really DON'T want you to know the truth.

> ...If money's not the issue, you're insane to hold off until the
    > next best thing...

Perfect representation of a TREO 600 buyer and one I totally agree with - the TREO 600 is a cool toy - there's ALWAYS going to be a coolER toy tomorrow - if you want a cool toy, buy it NOW and live with that fact.

And then tomorrow, buy a cooler one.

If money is no issue.
    sat down to wait for table last nite. whipped out t 300 and down loaded 20 emails. guy next to me said how did you get your palm to do that? it's a phone, too he says. he seemed genuinely interested.

sooner or later sprint ad people will get right like the t mobile ads. they will clearly say it's a plane, it's a bird, no it SM. They will promote to palm users it is a phone with palm AND you get email and internet, too. if u can figure this out easy from any ad that sprint has run u are better than I.

looks like I need to get my order for t 600 before the offer expires.
  7. purpleX
    Did you tell them it costs $500+ if he wants to get it? It would be interesting to watch his reaction.
    Originally posted by PurpleXhole
    I would have said Sugar Bear, but I'm about as far from a pimp as a person can get.
    It was Huggy Bear.
    Originally posted by Luzerman

The early adopters are quite often the ones that help bring a product to its mature stage of life. They find all the bugs and help iron them out. Not everyone is cut out to be an early adopter. Sometimes its personal or business reasons, sometimes its a bad experience.

@you validate 2 points i've made. 1. there are often bugs/problems with new releases and 2. many of the manufacters and some of the public have accepted this as ok.
    would you buy a new model car knowing that you may have to help the manufacturer work out some bugs.? no one who buys the treo should have to accept this? the fact is this questionable quality has become more of the norm in this industry, and like my earlier posts i'm referring to hardware issues.

expecting enthusiasts to accept this idea with grace is unlikely.

@enthusiasts expectations should be no different. there are plenty of enthusiast who are or have had problems.

As for your contention that many have not recieved working units, from what I've seen the majority of the problems have been software related due to people installing software that fails to function on the Treo 600. Next I see issues of personal preference where people want the device to do something other then what it was designed to do.

@hardware issues are numerous. poor vibrating battery's,sd slots, speaker problems, the supplied ear piece falling out or not working, battery's that won't charge. the list goes on. please take another look.

The camera is an issue I find humerous. Its only 640x480 and all the pictures I've seen taken with the camera have been of good quality for what they are. It has no flash and no zoom. It is not intended to be a professional quality camera.

@trust me, the camera is poor.

From what I've seen and read the number of real problems have been few and relatively minor. No huge issue that will lead to the devices being returned in droves.

@all i can say is that, you have not been doing thorough reading,

he only real problem I see that slipped past testing is the SD card slot. If indeed the SD card slot is not positioned correctly and the card ejects itself all the time then that would be a serious issue. Other then that the largest number of problems I've seen mentioned are software issues that more then likely came from use of software that was incompatible with Treo or with OS 5.x or from unfamiliarity with the device.

@I grant you there are many software issues. They don't minimize the the affect of the many hardware issues that have been posted here.

I admit that I don't read every post. Too much stuff I'm not interested in but I haven't seen anyone post about having gone through 3 or 4 Treos. This would amaze me that they could get 4 units in a row that were actually bad and not user error.

@There is a poster who just recently stated that he was on his 7th treo 270. user error is certainly an issue, but again there have been far to many hardware complaints here.

Having worked in the Telecom industry I think you might be surprised at how often equipment priced in the high $10,000s to low millions is defective out of the box. That is with all the preparation and special procedures that Telecom companies and Telecom equipment vendors can come up with to reduce the DOA rate.

@i am not suprised. the tech industry, in general, is a joke as it relates to quality. countless articles have been written on this issue.

For the most part the only people that post their opinion are the ones that have problems. This makes the ones that have problems seem to be a majority of the people out there. Its a misperception that happens often in forums such as this one.

@i would beg to differ, many who have had problems simply return the unit and go away.

Consumer electronics are not built to withstand any situation possible and there are limits to what any device can take. There will always be issues with durability in real world situations regardless of who makes the product. That aside the complaints I've heard about the Treo do not seem to be major with the exception of the SD card slot problems. When I recieve my unit I'll determine for myself if people are making much ado about something trivial

@there is nothing trivial about someone who has waited for months to receive the treo 600 and discovers that the unit doesn't work propoerly out of the box. READ THE POSTS!
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/25/2003 at 09:12 AM.
    Originally posted by purpleX

Well that's true, but I still want to see a spectacular flop with a bang, not a pathetic whimperish plop.
    Now I'm a big promoter for the Samsung i500, but I can't understand why anyone would ever want anyone else's product to be a "big flop" unless they have a conflicting self-interest in the "flop." That also leads one to wonder if the naysayer's own product of choice is so lame that it can only succeed in the face of the competitors failure.....

Just a thought......
    Hands down the Treo600 is the most featured packed mobile phone available. After all, we are talking about a phone not a laptop or some other device. There are probably only 2 real phone features that the T600 doesn't have and that would be bluetooth and walkie-talkie (like Nextel). Bluetooth will be remedied soon through SDIO. The walkie-talkie thing I find extremely annoying anyway (People will beep beep each other anywhere. You're standing in line next to someone and all of a sudden a voice comes out of their hip all loud and obnoxious. Anyway, sorry for that rant).

I am a current T300 owner for almost a year and I have a T600 on order (ordered 10/22 so hopefully it will ship soon). I have some points to make as to why I know how great the Treo series is.

1. When I first received my Treo everyone who saw it was amazed. It was huge (for a phone, small for a PDA) but it was by far cooler than anything around. Once I described all of it's features people were floored. I came to work with it and one month later the General Manager had the company buy one for the entire management team.

2. You can send and receive SMS and real email in real-time (ff course you do have to get the right software). 95% of mobile phones are beat there. Even if you can get both you usually have some weird interface for at least one or the other.

3. You can add programs that let you do complex calculations, maintain databases, organize your finances, lookup phone numbers quickly, find a Starbucks!!!, calculate loan rates, etc... (the list goes on forever). This is the major benefit of Palm over PPC.

4. You can go to vital websites at anytime.

I recently bought a new 2004 Dodge Intrepid (Silver with the SXT package, which I love). I used my Treo to torture the sales staff. I used Edmonds online for pricing for the Intrepid and my trade-in. I used my loan calculation program to crunch numbers as fast as he could quote them. I pulled out my laptop and hooked up my T300 to use as a wireless modem to search the inventory of surrounding dealerships (right at the sales desk). How cool is this?!!! I love this phone.

I believe the T300 would have been a much bigger hit if not for some issues. These issues have been addressed by the T600. They are size, no expansion slot, and no camera (I could care less but alot of people were looking for this feature in the past year). The other issue that affected T300 sales was poor marketing by Sprint and Handspring. To this day I meet people that are amazed by my T300 but have never even seen one before. Sprint and Handspring need to find a way to get the point across about the numerous built in features and hundreds more you can add with fairly inexpensive software.

The only real negative the T600 will have in comparison with other phones will be the price tag. If the T600 was a $150 phone we wouldn't even have this thread. It would be by far the most purchased phone. The real issue is not if the T600 is the best phone. The real question is do you need a phone that great for what you want to do.

Sorry for the long post. I had some stuff built up in me. Thanks for your time.
    Originally posted by reelflint
    Advice for 600 buyers-

Wait until the end of the products life. Then you could safely buy a unit and it will semi work. I pre-bought the first Treo and I got burned then by HS. I returned it and waited until 6 months ago to jump back on and try the 300. The 300 has been great despite out of range resets ( i think the 600 does the same thing). I also believe that Sprint places allot of pressure on HS for quality control.

So, wait and/or buy a 300.

reelflint
    What fun is that? I bought a 300 on day one and it worked great. Just got my 600 and love it. That's what warranties and returns are for.
    Originally posted by BigTreo
    There are probably only 2 real phone features that the T600 doesn't have and that would be bluetooth and walkie-talkie (like Nextel).
    Just a quick side note, the Treo Developper Guide actually mentions Push To Talk (PTT) as a possible scenario from a hardware standpoint, but not implemented by Handspring from a software standpoint. They mention that it could be developped separately later or by a third party.

So, FYI, looks like they COULD support the Sprint implementation of the obnoxious Walkie Talkie
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'
    I couldnt have expressed myself better, thanks Luzerman for your eloquent response......
    Jeff
    Did you tell them it costs $500+ if he wants to get it? It would be interesting to watch his reaction.
    I may be new to this board.. but I am on many others.. And I can never understand why people LIKE YOU are on a board that is deticated to a certain product that you apparently hate. Why don't you go post somewhere that deals with something you like? Almost every post I have seen you make you are doing nothing but making an *** of yourself.

oh ya.. forgot.. I have never owend a treo.. and I know 4 people that have a t600 and a couple more that are going to buy one that have never owned a treo. Just becuase this board hasn't seen a huge increase in members means nothing about a products acceptance...
  16. purpleX
    of course not, my mistake.

I mean the Cubans could be snapping up treo 600 right? It's not like Castro let them hook on the net and chime in tcf. Plus I've heard Martians bought t600 by the boxes as intergalactic souvenirs.

I mean the Cubans could be snapping up treo 600 right? It's not like Castro let them hook on the net and chime in tcf. Plus I've heard Martians bought t600 by the boxes as intergalactic souvenirs.
    You honestly think that the majority of people that buy a product join a board that relates to it?

If I remeber correctly the inital shipment to sprint was 20k units. The sold out in 3 days, why didn't this board's membership go up by at least 17k? Did most of the people that bought them just leave them in the box just to show off on the self of thier office?

It's only common sense that the majority of buyers of this and any other product use it for basic needs and never need/want to join a board like this one.

Common sense.. really.. its not hard to grasp that concept.

PurpleXhole, where are you buddy?
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    > ...If I remeber correctly the inital shipment to sprint was 20k
    > units. The sold out in 3 days...

You don't remember correctly.

The best evidence we have - three or so datapoints - is that Sprint got 3000 or so TREO 600s. That number fits nicely into a $1 million order, BTW, if $400 is the going rate for Sprint to get one from Handspring.

The number you incorrectly remembered is 19,000 and that was TREO 600s, not CDMA TREO 600s.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > ...If I remeber correctly the inital shipment to sprint was 20k
    > units. The sold out in 3 days...

You don't remember correctly.

The best evidence we have - three or so datapoints - is that Sprint got 3000 or so TREO 600s. That number fits nicely into a $1 million order, BTW, if $400 is the going rate for Sprint to get one from Handspring.

The number you incorrectly remembered is 19,000 and that was TREO 600s, not CDMA TREO 600s.
    You may be right (won't take your word for sure.. you've been wrong about other things).. but my point still stands. A board's membership has nothing to do with how well a product sells.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast