1.    #1  
    The "GetBC" and "Software" icons that seem to be standard on the 600 are bugging me. There is nothing I hate worse than having sales links on a $400 device (like I haven't paid enough already that you have to try to sell me more stuff every time I turn on the screen).

I have tried unsuccessfully to delete them with FileZ and through the standard menu.

Please help.
    It will cost you a few k of memory, but I think it is worth it to get rid of the 'ads' that Sprint put in my launcher.

As you have probably realized, both the Software and GetBC programs are in ROM, and therefor can not be deleted or modified.

Use a file manager program like "FileZ" to copy both the Software and GetBC programs from the Treo over to an SD card. Make sure, if you are using FileZ, to tell it to find Rom based files, otherwise you will never see them. Also, make sure that they are the appl file types (those are the applications).

With the files copied over to the SD card, copy them back to the Treo from the card. This will make a new copy that overlays the one in ROM. Edit the properties on both files and select the "hidden" attribute. The Treo will use the newer "hidden" versions instead of the "visible" ones in ROM.
  3.    #3  
    Right on, except the "copy" to card and back didn't work but the "move" command worked great. Thanks for the help.

Even with ROM checked in FileZ there is no "Software" app. Any ideas?
    Last edited by COBoarder; 10/24/2003 at 01:24 PM.
    it's called Handangolaunch.
    So you can hide it--but you can't delete it??

Sounds like certain infectious diseases....
  6.    #6  
    At least you can delete those "AOL" icons that get deposited on your desktop with a lot of application installs. Seems weird to me that Handspring would protect their sales icons, they don't seem like the infectious marketing machine like AOL.
    If you are a Business Connection user, the icons are deleted automatically when you download the Palm version of the Business Connection for Palm.
    Start here:
    http://www.sprintpcs.com/bizcon.html

I'm pretty happy with this and like it better than the Visto product.
    How much does the Business Connection cost? Per month?? One time fee?
    yeah what exactly is this business connection? what value does it provide for the $5 a mo?
    Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane
    It will cost you a few k of memory, but I think it is worth it to get rid of the 'ads' that Sprint put in my launcher.

As you have probably realized, both the Software and GetBC programs are in ROM, and therefor can not be deleted or modified.

Use a file manager program like "FileZ" to copy both the Software and GetBC programs from the Treo over to an SD card. Make sure, if you are using FileZ, to tell it to find Rom based files, otherwise you will never see them. Also, make sure that they are the appl file types (those are the applications).

With the files copied over to the SD card, copy them back to the Treo from the card. This will make a new copy that overlays the one in ROM. Edit the properties on both files and select the "hidden" attribute. The Treo will use the newer "hidden" versions instead of the "visible" ones in ROM.
    This does not work for me, since when I try to copy the files from the SD card back to the Treo, Filez reports an error saying "The destination file already exists. Please delete the destination file and try again."