1.    #1  
    Well, Marc sent me a copy of the T-600 beta last night. It is very similar to the 300 version from what I can remember.

I had a little trouble setting it up. Slowed the Treo down bigtime. I didn't know what was happening and "BLAMMO"! AOL sent a response letting me know that Chatter and their IM server was communicating. Gee thanks, it only took them 15 minutes to do that. (BTW- when you set up your IM servers, ie: AOL, MSN, Y!, ICQ and IMAP, they all send a reply message letting you know that you are now communicating).

Once that situation was resolved, the program really flies. All of the slow downs ceased. I simply love the IMAP function.

The program seems to be heading in the right direction. But, as all betas go, there's a bug. I would say there were more, but I have only found one. Marc is in the process of correcting this.

Hopefully soon, everyone can find out for themselves, just how great this program is.
    Does Chatter have a website?

Thanks

Josh
    I've searched and read all the old threads on Chatter already, so let's not go down that road. Can someone who has used both Chatter and Verichat tell me under what circumstances Chatter has the advantage over Verichat? As I understand it the main difference is that Chatter can send messages via e-mail if you use an IMAP server, and Verichat can only use the IM services. Are there any other differences? And what about cost? Verichat costs $20 to buy...are there monthly or annual charges also? What about charges for Chatter?
    Originally posted by scrinch
    I've searched and read all the old threads on Chatter already, so let's not go down that road. Can someone who has used both Chatter and Verichat tell me under what circumstances Chatter has the advantage over Verichat? As I understand it the main difference is that Chatter can send messages via e-mail if you use an IMAP server, and Verichat can only use the IM services. Are there any other differences? And what about cost? Verichat costs $20 to buy...are there monthly or annual charges also? What about charges for Chatter?
    Verichat is $24.95 for the app & 1 year of service. The yearly renewel cost after that is $19.95. Don't know anything about Chatter, but Verichat is an excellent application.
    VERY different in look and feel, and that part is a matter of personal preference. VeriChat uses the standard IM paradigm, whereas Chatter organizes "chats" by user (regardless of whether a message is from an IM service or is eMail).

IMAP eMail in Chatter (optional) is very nice in that it provides for true pushed eMail (not only that, but receiving and sending eMails is done "in the background", so you aren't "locked up" while it's going on.). I use SnapperMail for all of my heavy-duty eMail applications on the Treo, yet I find that I use Chatter for 90% or more of my email'ing (where I'm not worried about attachments, for example).

When working in the background (i.e. in another application), the two programs work very differently. VeriChat uses SMS for incoming messages, but requires an internet (TCP) connection for outgoing messages (which means that VeriChat stops, connects, sends, and disconnects for each outbound message, which is quite slow). Chatter, on the other hand, uses TCP for incoming and outgoing messages - therefore, you can SEND messages instantly with Chatter in the background (i.e. without waiting for a TCP connection to be made). Chatter also maintains a data connection at all times (even if it gets broken), although this can be turned off if required.

Since some data flows back and forth to the phone while Chatter is in the background, there is a small, but increased chance of missing phone calls (although you get the Voicemail alert right away) . Since VeriChat also uses TCP in the foreground, they are pretty much the same in that regard. Further, Chatter can't receive OR send messages DURING a phone call, whereas (as mentioned before) VeriChat can receive messages during a call.

As far as cost of usage, VeriChat MAY generate charges for SMS usage (depending on the plan), whereas Chatter doesn't use SMS at all. I assume, of course, that everyone uses an unlimited data plan.

Chatter for the T600 will probably be sold for $20, which includes service charges for the forseeable future. My 100+ beta testers from the Treo270 and Treo300 have been using the system free since day one (almost a year ago!)

If anyone has a place for me to put the manual online (it's a 350k or so Word file), I have no problem with anyone reviewing it prior to its release.

Although the Treo600 version is enhanced for 5-way navigation, emoticons and hyperlinks, etc., it might still be valuable for some other Treo270/Treo300 users to comment...

Sorry to be long-winded, but some of this stuff is a bit complicated...

Marc
    Marc, sounds like a great program and I'm currently experiencing problems with Verichat that might necessitate a change anyway. When you do expect to have a version out that I will be able to download and check? Sounds very intriguing.

Thanks

Josh
    Marc, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm eager to give Chatter a try. So far I've only used Verichat on a trial basis. Let us know when and where Chatter is available.
    If anyone wants to be in the Beta, just fill out the questionaire on the Chatter forum site and send it to me...

http://www.imchatter.com/solidclient/ForumClient.php

I expect to send beta's out on Monday.

Marc
    Originally posted by mblank

............When working in the background (i.e. in another application), the two programs work very differently. VeriChat uses SMS for incoming messages, but requires an internet (TCP) connection for outgoing messages (which means that VeriChat stops, connects, sends, and disconnects for each outbound message, which is quite slow). Chatter, on the other hand, uses TCP for incoming and outgoing messages - therefore, you can SEND messages instantly with Chatter in the background (i.e. without waiting for a TCP connection to be made). Chatter also maintains a data connection at all times (even if it gets broken), although this can be turned off if required.

Marc
    A bit of a correction is due over here. VeriChat does keep a persistent TCP connection to the PDAapps' IM servers when you are in the VeriChat application (for Treos and other SMS capable devices).

Also, VeriChat does keep a persistent TCP connection to the IM servers all the time when the device's display is turned on for other non-Phone Palms like the Tungsten C, Sony Clie etc.

PDAapps
    and it definitely depends on what you're used to - I tried Chatter, and found the interface not to my liking. The program did what it was supposed to - but I was/am still stuck in the paradigm of e-mail and IM as fundamentally different technologies, with different application functions, different interfaces, and, most importantly, different user expectations - both for the sender and the recipient.
    So - I use Verichat for IM and an e-mail program for, well...e-mail.
    To each his own. That's why there are two kinds of music - country AND western.
    (heh - name that obscure reference )
  11. pan
    Originally posted by nrosser
    ...That's why there are two kinds of music - country AND western.
    (heh - name that obscure reference )
    What kind of music do you play here? Both kinds, Country AND Western. From, of course, the Blues Brothers. Do I win a prize?

Pan
  12.    #12  
    Well, Marc emailed me the fix to the Chatter bug last night. YeeHaw! It works great now. I have tried my best to make it crash and it is still running smoothly.

Some people will love this program when it's available. Marc really has done a great job of putting it together, and you just can't beat the product support.

Just as I say this, there will be others that would prefer Verichat. Hey that's great, they have a good product as well. I have this product also, but like the way Chatter runs the IMs and checks my IMAP. It really is great to actually have this choice.
    Originally posted by scrinch
    I've searched and read all the old threads on Chatter already, so let's not go down that road. Can someone who has used both Chatter and Verichat tell me under what circumstances Chatter has the advantage over Verichat?
    I'll tell you the biggest difference. Chatter will work for me but Verichat now wont! Verichat relies on SMS to deliver messages, whereas chatter is straight IP. The reason it now doesn't work is that my mobile provider started injecting ads into SMS's recieved as emails, which breaks verichat! Granted that's my mobile provider's fault, but it pisses me off after paying $49 for a lifetime subscription to verichat. But it's something you should consider- if your mobile provider changes his service structure as mine did, you will be sol. Both mobile providers here did this, and I wouldn't be surprised if others in europe did (american providers tend to be better about giving something for nothing).

Which brings me to my second point- verichat is expensive. I don't think it's worth the price to pay for something that may become obselete. A year subscription to verichat is the same price as buying and owning Chatter.

Third point. Verichat has no support- I don't know if Chatter is better, but I've never heard of anyone contacting Verichat and getting an answer.

Fourth point. Chatter has a much more forward looking architecture and functionality, and the mail functionality is really cool if you just want a quick check of your mailbox.

How's that?
    FYI - Rumor has it that Sprint will be disabling short mail on the Treo 600 when SMS is activated http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...5&pagenumber=5

Will this affect Verichat at all?

I have been using the Chatter beta all weekend and have been very happy with it.
    The reason that I choose Chatter over Verichat is the lack of support for ICQ. You can add ICQ UNI's in Verichat under the AIM setting. However, these only show up as the UNI and not the nick names. I can not memorize all of those so I have no way of knowing who I am chatting with. Chatter has no such problem, you know exactly who everyone is no matter how they are contacting you.

-DT