Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I looked around and can't seem to find a way to turn off the screen while in a phone call.

Any ideas?
    You can see my solution here:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...&highlight=hbx

-Gadgetpro
    You can see my solution here:
    Thanks!

Well well well... Looks like I WILL try out a hack after all.
    Gadgetpro--

Can you address how HBX affects the way other apps might use the hard buttons to provide native functionality?

For example, Datebk5 and it's split screen functionality? In Dbk5, you can assign a single push of a designated hardware to open a split screen of contacts, todos, or notes with the Dbk5 schedule. A double click of the same button opens it's native functionality such as phone application, SMS/Email, and screen power off.

Similarly with Pocket Tunes, pressing button 3 (with my settings-don't remember if this is configurable) while in other apps and PT playing in the background will bring up the PT mini-controls.

Can the HBX hack still allow these native functionalities to coexist? Thanks.

JG
    HBX takes over all button pushes. However, if you hold down a button for a few seconds, HBX will hand-off the button push to whatever app normally would have intercepted it. In this way, I was able to get the PTunes console up.

However, I am not sure you need this because you can map all your apps to quick 2-button press combinations. Instead of hutting a botton to bring up the ptunes console, I could just hit a couple of buttons to bring up ptunes.

HBX is really incredible, completely replacing the Favorites application's functionality for me.

For the T600, I am finding the HBX essential.

I will write a complete review in the next couple of days of how essential HBX is.
    -Gadgetpro
    HBX is useful for turning off the screen off during a call. However, as a quick launcher, I think CoLauncher is much better. (Every key on the keyboard, and most of the hard buttons, can be assigned an app).
    Originally posted by skfny
    HBX is useful for turning off the screen off during a call. However, as a quick launcher, I think CoLauncher is much better. (Every key on the keyboard, and most of the hard buttons, can be assigned an app).
    A little off topic, but I just found out about CoLauncher, and I've got to say this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I can launch any of my favorite apps with only two keypresses! Super fast, and not a hack. Way better than any other hack launcher. It works perfect with the keyboard buttons on the Treo 600. I just assign CoLauncher to my 3rd hard button, and then press a letter to lauch my desired app.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Does CoLauncher allow you to turn off the screen or is it simply a launcher and that is it?

Keith
    If I'm surfing the net, sometimes I need to turn down Pocket tunes, and right now it's "home", "p" key, toggle to p-tunes, turn down the music.

I would like to get to Pocket tunes more quickly. Will something like Co-Launcher work for this? Or is there a quicker workaround without purchasing additional software?

Thanks,

Cluemeister
    Originally posted by peridoc
    Does CoLauncher allow you to turn off the screen or is it simply a launcher and that is it?

Keith
    CoLauncher doesn't directly do this, but if you download a freeware app called Off-It you can assign a key to Off-It and it will shut off the screen while you are using the Phone! Just hit the power button to bring the screen back on and hang up.
    Originally posted by wcarlson40

CoLauncher doesn't directly do this, but if you download a freeware app called Off-It you can assign a key to Off-It and it will shut off the screen while you are using the Phone! Just hit the power button to bring the screen back on and hang up.
    I tried this by assigning a button (via the preferences panel) but when I use “Off-It” it also cuts of the phone conversation. If you don’t mind, what was your set up when you were able to get this to work?
    I had the same problem, "Off-It" would also cut off the phone's speaker then you launched it. (but not the call) Then I noticed it worked sometimes and other times it wouldn't.

Here's the trick:
    Make sure you are in ANOTHER application not "Phone" when you run the "Off-it" program. Example...dial a number, hit the "Calendar" button and launch whatever app you have assigned to it THEN hit the "Power" button (assuming you assigned "Off-it" to that button like I do) and it works great. Sure not perfect, but it beats walking around with a tanning lamp on your cheek. To get your phone's screen back, hit the "Phone" button then then 5-way "enter" to unlock keyguard and you are back in business.

I also found that if you launched "Off-it" from the main application menu it worked when you used the 5-way pad but not when you selected it with your finger or stylus. It also didn't work when you set it up as a Favorite. Oh, and don't worry, using this app does not affect incoming calls when you use it to turn off the display. I thought it might because when you launch "Off-it" and you are in the "Phone" app it turns off the speaker. Calls come in normally.

Funny, such a simple app and you wonder why HS didn't include it, or the screen off option. Someone on another thread mentioned that it might be confusing to someone if the screen goes off and the user might "lost"...but if this is a PHONE first device, the thumboard could still remain active and you could still use it to enter numbers, or hang up, or bring the screen back on. I am sure there will be a Treo 600 specific app soon, but for the interim this is a cool FREE app and requires no hack!

Thanks to Sing Yong (the programmer)

enjoy!
    Like co-launcher, HBX also allows for keyboard presses to launch things. In other words, I can press any application button and then press a letter on the keyboard to launch an app or take an action (like last-app or off & lock, etc).

HBX does it for me!

-Gadgetpro
    Originally posted by paulsjmail

I tried this by assigning a button (via the preferences panel) but when I use “Off-It” it also cuts of the phone conversation. If you don’t mind, what was your set up when you were able to get this to work?
    I have CoLauncher assigned to my 3rd Hard button, and the Off-It assigned to the letter 'o'. I just hit the third button and then 'o' and it seems to work fine. I have no hacks or hack managers installed.

HBX is a hack, and even TealMaster gives a warning about not being fully compatable.
    Yes, HBX is a hack but I have not found any issues with it, it seems to work fine.
    -Gadgetpro
    Originally posted by DarkTreo
    I had the same problem, "Off-It" would also cut off the phone's speaker then you launched it. (but not the call) Then I noticed it worked sometimes and other times it wouldn't.

Here's the trick:
    Make sure you are in ANOTHER application not "Phone" when you run the "Off-it" program. Example...dial a number, hit the "Calendar" button and launch whatever app you have assigned to it THEN hit the "Power" button (assuming you assigned "Off-it" to that button like I do) and it works great. Sure not perfect, but it beats walking around with a tanning lamp on your cheek. To get your phone's screen back, hit the "Phone" button then then 5-way "enter" to unlock keyguard and you are back in business.

I also found that if you launched "Off-it" from the main application menu it worked when you used the 5-way pad but not when you selected it with your finger or stylus. It also didn't work when you set it up as a Favorite. Oh, and don't worry, using this app does not affect incoming calls when you use it to turn off the display. I thought it might because when you launch "Off-it" and you are in the "Phone" app it turns off the speaker. Calls come in normally.

Funny, such a simple app and you wonder why HS didn't include it, or the screen off option. Someone on another thread mentioned that it might be confusing to someone if the screen goes off and the user might "lost"...but if this is a PHONE first device, the thumboard could still remain active and you could still use it to enter numbers, or hang up, or bring the screen back on. I am sure there will be a Treo 600 specific app soon, but for the interim this is a cool FREE app and requires no hack!

Thanks to Sing Yong (the programmer)

enjoy!
    this works great for me Thanks!
    I don't like running hacks, so this is a great little (1K) app. and easy to delete if needed.

You do need to follow the instructions above for it to work right.

I wonder just how much battery life this could add? and to not have your head look like a light bulb at night.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    for those of you not adverse to using a hack, has anyone tried tealpoint?
    i mean teallaunch. need more caffeine.
    Off-It works, and without a hack, to boot? I'll have to try it. I'm not sure about why you'd have to switch out of phone app (from a technical point of view). Isn't CoLauncher ALREADY another app???? Oh, well, can't wait to try it, and get that Hack off my device.
    OK, is anyone else having problems making Off-It work? I tried enabling and disabling Keygaurd, since I use DisButtons, tried all of the advice above, and the speaker still goes off, whether or not I'm on speakerphone. I even tried a soft reset after deleting the HBX hack. FWIW, I have Off-It assigned to the CoLaucher "o" button as well, but I tried it with hard buttons, and get the same result.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast