Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by tcjohnsson
    Am I the only one that has a problem with the screen turning on after about one minute? The program works fine except the screen only stays off temporarily. Am I the only one that talks on the phone for more than a minute??
    Are you running any apps that have some type of associated timer (i.e., Snappermail for auto poll of email every XX minutes)? That may cause the screen to turn back on as it checks to see if the connection is available and has to turn on the screen to do so...well - it probably doesn't HAVE to, but the developers didn't necessarily think it through completely.
    Lee Ladisky
    Tried OFF-IT on mine. Microphone and speaker cut out when off. Bummer.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Here is how it works:

do not link it to a key. Just while you're talking, press the Home (house) key and select the program Off-it.

Then it works and it does not cut the speaker off.

If I link it to a key then it turns off the speaker!
    nope. tried it and still cuts off the speaker.
    Originally posted by peridoc
    Hey all,

After trying Of-It and finding out that it worked sometimes and not others, I asked Marc Blank (creator of Chatter) .

Keith
    Thanks Guys - Works Perfectly for moi (rev A)
    I've just discovered that TreoAlertMgr 2.03 causes the screen to turn back on after using Off-It to turn it off the screen while on a call. If the seconds between alerts are set to 50 seconds, it will turn the screen on in 50 seconds.

I've found that setting the seconds between alerts to 121 seconds or greater SEEMS to fix the problem (not sure why).

I'm wondering if TreoAlertMgr could also be the culprit for people stating that their Treo 600 turns on randomly throughout the day.

Has anybody else noticed a connection between this problem and TreoAlertMgr?
    I have Rev C, and both Off-it and sandman would cut off the speaker.

I tried changing the auto-off time prefs, as suggested in earlier posts, but no success.

I finally found out the secret, which made both Off-it AND sandman work just fine: you MUST have system sounds turned on.

Now, this is a mixed blessing for me, since I truly hate the system sounds, but when I set the system sounds volume to low, it's not *too* annoying. And at least I can get Off-it to work (and sandman, for that matter).

And by the way, co-launcher just rocks. I've used it for years. The spectacular beauty of using it on a device with a thumboard is that you can assign apps to letters, which gives you a little neumonic, so that it's much easier to remember which button pushes bring up which apps. Very cool.
    Originally posted by thegasguru
    I have Rev C, and both Off-it and sandman would cut off the speaker.

I tried changing the auto-off time prefs, as suggested in earlier posts, but no success.

I finally found out the secret, which made both Off-it AND sandman work just fine: you MUST have system sounds turned on.

Now, this is a mixed blessing for me, since I truly hate the system sounds, but when I set the system sounds volume to low, it's not *too* annoying. And at least I can get Off-it to work (and sandman, for that matter).

And by the way, co-launcher just rocks. I've used it for years. The spectacular beauty of using it on a device with a thumboard is that you can assign apps to letters, which gives you a little neumonic, so that it's much easier to remember which button pushes bring up which apps. Very cool.
    You have found the secret my man.

Sandman didn't work for me until I turned on system sounds.

I also don't like system sounds, so if I'm on a long call I'll simply enable sounds then use Sandman. Either that or maybe the "Low" setting won't be too annoying.
    Originally posted by gadgetpro
    Yes, HBX is a hack but I have not found any issues with it, it seems to work fine.
    -Gadgetpro
    Update:
    We have just released HBX 3.0 which now does not need any hack manager on Palm OS 5 (it is a standalone application now).
    Please visit: www.ranosoft.net/hbx
    Read through this whole thread and was amazed that no one picked up on the obvious.

Someone should write an app like Sandman or Off-it that is radio aware and can be set by the user to shut the screen off at a particular interval after the call is started. It would also be able to detect call waiting calls and relight the screen so you could see who is calling. Finally it would detect when a call ended and relight the screen so you could see duration or make another call or whatever.

I personally think the whole 1, 2, 3 (or whatever) button solution is a pain the a$$. When I am talking on the phone I done like to have to fiddle with buttons just shut off the screen.

Does anyone else think Automatic screen controll would be worth paying for? I sure do.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I second that emotion!

My i700 had a setting built-in where you could configure the device to turn off the screen X number of seconds after a call was placed. It would light up the screen if you had call-waiting come through while on the phone. However, it did not light up the screen at the end of a call, which was a pain, since you had to press a trigger key to get the screen to light up so that you could hang up a call. The workaround was to just let the other party hang up, but sometimes they would be hanging on the phone, thinking I had something else to say.

I'd be happy to pay some dinero for such an app!
    I purchased HBX and like it with the exception of its inability to reliably activate the Treo 600. Several taps, regardless of the length of those taps, is required to activate it. I have the phone key undefined due to the manner TakePhone works and have found that most of the time, it is the only way I can activate the phone - bring up TakePhone and then go from there.

As for functionality - it needs a bit of tweaking and a few options - such as the ability to come active in a position other than "setup," and to specify a default application, et cetera.

Ben

----------

Originally posted by gadgetpro
    HBX takes over all button pushes. However, if you hold down a button for a few seconds, HBX will hand-off the button push to whatever app normally would have intercepted it. In this way, I was able to get the PTunes console up.

However, I am not sure you need this because you can map all your apps to quick 2-button press combinations. Instead of hutting a botton to bring up the ptunes console, I could just hit a couple of buttons to bring up ptunes.

HBX is really incredible, completely replacing the Favorites application's functionality for me.

For the T600, I am finding the HBX essential.

I will write a complete review in the next couple of days of how essential HBX is.
    -Gadgetpro
    I have been playing around for some time with different launchers in an attempt to find the best solution for killing the screen during a call.
    I have tried HBX, CoLauncher, Speedlaunch and several others to run either Off-it or Sandman and they all have issues of one sort or another. The most common issue is too damn many button presses to get the job done. I mean if I have the phone to my ear and am in the middle of a conversation, I don't want to be fumbling around trying to deactivate the screen. Give me a one button solution or an automatic one.

Since no savvy programmer has stepped up and accepted this challenge, my quest continues.

Until now.

I was playing around with some new software, namely HBX and I had it set to off the phone with 2 or 3 presses of the phone button. This worked but HBX messes with the way the phone is activated. I couldnt get the power button to turn the phone on. only the other 3 hard buttons worked. Couldn't turn it off either.

So I figured I'd go the simplest approach. I shut off the keyguard, turned on system sounds, and mapped Sandman to the power (rightmost) hard button. Now based on everything I have read here this is just too simple and shouldn't work.

I called voicemail and put the phone on speaker. Once the nice lady started telling me about my saved messages I hit the power button. The screen of course shut off because it was running Sandman. Lo and behold the voice was still coming through. Tried this multiple times calling different people and every time it worked.
    Tried Off-it too. Same results but with a little lag. By lag I mean there was a pause when the screen shut off, just a second, then audio resumed.

So of the two Sandman is better IMO.

Now I have a one button screen killer until the automatic app is written. Hope it works for you.

Note: I am not running TreoALerts. Mnetion that cause some folks have said it causes issues. At least I think I read that.

Good luck.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I've just found another way to turn it off during a call.

Cool DAs v1.1 freeware.

I'm using McPhling as my DA launcher and Cool DA so far seems to turn off the Palm OK when I'm on the phone.

I've got the T600 set so that it will not accept taps while online, bit it's OK as Cool DA workswith the Treo 5-way Selector.

Hope this helps others.

Chas
    Originally posted by ChasT
    I've just found another way to turn it off during a call.

Cool DAs v1.1 freeware.

I'm using McPhling as my DA launcher and Cool DA so far seems to turn off the Palm OK when I'm on the phone.

I've got the T600 set so that it will not accept taps while online, bit it's OK as Cool DA workswith the Treo 5-way Selector.

Hope this helps others.

Chas
    This may be a stupid questions, but what are DAs? I've just never encountered that acronym.
    Originally posted by palmnerd

This may be a stupid questions, but what are DAs? I've just never encountered that acronym.
    DA stands for Desk Accessory.

They are a group of normally very small programs. They are stand alone programs, but you can not launch them directly from your Palm. You need a special program which will list all the DA's on your Palm and you then Tap the one you want to run.

If you search Palmgear http://www.palmgear.com/ for DA it will list a selection of DA's plus a few launcher programs.

I use McPhling, which is Shareware and does a lot more besides launching DA's. It's very useful on the Treo.

The other DA I use is NetConnect, this enables you to turn on/off your GPRS very easily.

Chas
    Originally posted by ChasT

DA stands for Desk Accessory.

They are a group of normally very small programs. They are stand alone programs, but you can not launch them directly from your Palm. You need a special program which will list all the DA's on your Palm and you then Tap the one you want to run.

If you search Palmgear http://www.palmgear.com/ for DA it will list a selection of DA's plus a few launcher programs.

I use McPhling, which is Shareware and does a lot more besides launching DA's. It's very useful on the Treo.

The other DA I use is NetConnect, this enables you to turn on/off your GPRS very easily.

Chas
    Thanks for the info Chas.
    wcarlson40,

"I'm wondering if TreoAlertMgr could also be the culprit for people stating that their Treo 600 turns on randomly throughout the day.

Has anybody else noticed a connection between this problem and TreoAlertMgr?"

It was for me ever since I dumped Treoalertmgr the treo doesn't turn on randomly anymore.
    where can i find Cool DA or Sandman... neaither found at Palmgear or freepalm?
    You can get Cool Da from Palmgear, see above.
    I don't know about Sandman, try Handango perhaps ?

Chas
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast